Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP: Budgetts prolapse...!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Exclamation HELP: Budgetts prolapse...!

I came home this morning and found Sharky had, what seems to me to be a prolapse! I've never had this happen before (well, this is the first time I've kept this species) and have no idea what to do! He doesn't have much of his intestines sticking out...but I need to know what to do before something bad happens to him!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: HELP: Budgetts prolapse...!

im not sure but i think it involved applying honey water to the butthole of the animal with a q-tip. A quick search for prolapse on the forum should give ya some good advice.

...ok, found a better one. soak the frog in a sugar water solution, preferably with honey, for a couple hours. This is in the case that it was caused by straining out a monster turd or an impaction (hope ya dont use gravel or rocks, they can eat pretty big rocks)

If there is reason to beleive that it is protozoan related, then use a unflavored pedialyte solution to soak in.

If that doesnt cause the animals anal wall to retract and suck the guts back inside its butthole, see a vet.

Nationality
    [United States]

Prolapse is a sign of a diet that is very lacking in calcium.. the pelvis bone weakens and it does not hold in the intestines properly.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    Prolapse is a sign of a diet that is very lacking in calcium.. the pelvis bone weakens and it does not hold in the intestines properly.
    Thats not entirely accurate, it can happen from taking a massive deuce, from having an impaction, or even from intestinal parasites. Ive never heard of it being MBD related.

Unless the frog shows other signs of MBD, such as misshapen jaw, legs, back or yes, pelvis, then I doubt its a MBD related prolapse.

On a side note, at least a small prolapse is fixable. My Budgetts Frog has a hernia which probably wont harm it, but i have no where to take it to get surgery done.

If you got rocks in the terrarium, take them out. If you are feeding the frog huge meals, try smaller food items. If his poops are runny, get a fecal test done.

Nationality
    [United States]

Prepare a bath of Luke warm de-chlorinated water with 4 drops of honey dissolved in the bath. Soak for 20 minutes or until swelling recedes. You can use a Q-tip to gently place the prolapse back in when swelling has receded.

7. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Ra

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I'd like to play devils advocate here and entertain the possibility of a calcium deficiency.
    I realize that it can be hard to administer calcium supllements to an aquatic frog, so what do you feed your frog? Do you use supllements?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    I'd like to play devils advocate here and entertain the possibility of a calcium deficiency.
    I realize that it can be hard to administer calcium supllements to an aquatic frog, so what do you feed your frog? Do you use supllements?
    She could buy liquid calcium and add it to the frogs water, but it would be filtered out quickly.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    She could buy liquid calcium and add it to the frogs water, but it would be filtered out quickly.
    I feed mine primarily fish, pacman food and nightcrawlers. With the pacman food, I dont have to worry about adding supplements. But this thing eats like an african bullfrog (and I have an african bullfrog coming tommorow) so Im thinking of trying the Mazuri carnivorous amphibian gel which is $32 for 2.2 lbs, as opposed to Pacman food, which is about $14 for a 4oz bag. Im also looking into the repashy meat pie fish gels and carnivoprous reptile gels.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    I feed mine primarily fish, pacman food and nightcrawlers. With the pacman food, I dont have to worry about adding supplements. But this thing eats like an african bullfrog (and I have an african bullfrog coming tommorow) so Im thinking of trying the Mazuri carnivorous amphibian gel which is $32 for 2.2 lbs, as opposed to Pacman food, which is about $14 for a 4oz bag. Im also looking into the repashy meat pie fish gels and carnivoprous reptile gels.
    Those would probably work well, but the meat pie should probably only be a treat food like mice.

Nationality
    [United States]

Not saying that lack of calcium is only one of the possible causes, probably one of many like you're pointed out.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks everyone for the replies! I thought I remembered reading about they honey soaks. I will try that and see if it helps him.

I just recently removed his rocks. They were pond rocks...the same size as him, if not bigger. I also took out his filter because the splashing of the water at night was driving me insane. So, I replaced that with a bubbler. The only other thing in his enclosure are two pieces of drift wood he favors hiding under.

I feed him crickets, dubia roaches & nightcrawlers. I do dust his items and tong feed him. He jumps out of the water to grab his food, so it doesn't wash off in the water. If I mixed some of the calcium powder in the water would it help any...?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by toxxxickitten View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I thought I remembered reading about they honey soaks. I will try that and see if it helps him.

I just recently removed his rocks. They were pond rocks...the same size as him, if not bigger. I also took out his filter because the splashing of the water at night was driving me insane. So, I replaced that with a bubbler. The only other thing in his enclosure are two pieces of drift wood he favors hiding under.

I feed him crickets, dubia roaches & nightcrawlers. I do dust his items and tong feed him. He jumps out of the water to grab his food, so it doesn't wash off in the water. If I mixed some of the calcium powder in the water would it help any...?
    It may if you buy the liquid calcium, but of course he needs Vitamin D3 also which you can get a calcium powder that used D3 to properly metabolize the calcium to his bones. It has been done to treat frogs with calcium deficiencies, but in an individual medicated bath not the water the frog lives in.

Nationality
    [United States]

It may if you buy the liquid calcium, but of course he needs Vitamin D3 also which you can get a calcium powder that used D3 to properly metabolize the calcium to his bones. It has been done to treat frogs with calcium deficiencies, but in an individual medicated bath not the water the frog lives in.
    I have both calcium with D3 and no D3. I also keep a few reptiles that I use to dusting for too. I have him in a honey bath now. I hope it helps!

Nationality
    [United States]

I have both calcium with D3 and no D3. I also keep a few reptiles that I use to dusting for too. I have him in a honey bath now. I hope it helps!
    It should bring the swelling down. Once its back in don't feed him for a few days to make sure all is well and when you do feed him again make sure to only use night crawlers until after his next poop to make sure everything is working properly and he doesn't get another prolapse. This way he is passing something soft.

Nationality
    [United States]

It should bring the swelling down. Once its back in don't feed him for a few days to make sure all is well and when you do feed him again make sure to only use night crawlers until after his next poop to make sure everything is working properly and he doesn't get another prolapse. This way he is passing something soft.
    I got his intestines back in now. I was about to post what I should do next. Thanks so much! I freaked out a bit when I first saw them hanging out a bit. My poor Sharky!

Nationality
    [United States]

I got his intestines back in now. I was about to post what I should do next. Thanks so much! I freaked out a bit when I first saw them hanging out a bit. My poor Sharky!
    Keep a close eye on him. He should be fine. Just give him time to heal. If he is of a good weight he should be ok not eating for a few days possibly a week just to be sure he is healed.

Nationality
    [United States]

Keep a close eye on him. He should be fine. Just give him time to heal. If he is of a good weight he should be ok not eating for a few days possibly a week just to be sure he is healed.
    I put him back in his enclosure and he went straight to his driftwood to hide. Poor guy. I'm thinking it's a male? I'm not sure how to tell the gender of a Budgetts. I see like...what I think are like nupital (sp?) pads, but they are on the back feet instead of the front. Not sure if that's what they even are? Anyways...He is definitely of excellent weight...maybe a little chubby as I tend to overfeed. >_<

Nationality
    [United States]

I put him back in his enclosure and he went straight to his driftwood to hide. Poor guy. I'm thinking it's a male? I'm not sure how to tell the gender of a Budgetts. I see like...what I think are like nupital (sp?) pads, but they are on the back feet instead of the front. Not sure if that's what they even are? Anyways...He is definitely of excellent weight...maybe a little chubby as I tend to overfeed. >_<
    Budgetts like Pyxies and Pacs should be chubby and round. He should be fine. I doubt you really over feed him because when it comes to my Pacs I feed them how ever much they want and usually stop when content.

arielgasca420

Prepare a bath of Luke warm de-chlorinated water with 4 drops of honey dissolved in the bath. Soak for 20 minutes or until swelling recedes. You can use a Q-tip to gently place the prolapse back in when swelling has receded.
    just a few questions on the honey bath; can I use raw honey? and would it benefit the frog at all to do this bath soak when there is nothing wrong?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by arielgasca420 View Post
    just a few questions on the honey bath; can I use raw honey? and would it benefit the frog at all to do this bath soak when there is nothing wrong?
    You can dissolve raw honey into the bath. Usually the bath is used to help the frog with constipation and impaction. It can provide a temporary energy boost and honey does have some antiallergen and antibacterial properties, but isn't really used for much more of a benefit other than to help reduce swelling in prolapse in place of sugar and assist in them using the bathroom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information