Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you use to disinfect?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default what do you use to disinfect?

What do you use to clean/disinfect your pacman's home when doing a total clean out?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mrzoggs

Default Re: what do you use to disinfect?

10% bleach 90% water and rinse rinse rinse. then make sure all smell is gone. easiest way for me is to scrub down the instide with the bleach solution, rinse it, then soak it in water inside the tub for a bit then empty it. wipe it down with a rag. then it should be perfect.

Namio

I agree with mrzoggs on rinsing cage with 1:10 bleach solution, but you can also spray it with vinegar after bleach, and then rinse the cage completely with water until you can smell neither the vinegar and/or bleach.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

very very hot water will also turn any remaining bleach into vapor, so rinse with hot water.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

There is a safer product than bleach. I use it and it works great. ZOO Med Wipe Out 1. Just rinse out the tank after you remove the substrate. Spray the tank down with Wipe Out 1 and let it stand for 5 to 10 minutes then just wipe down the tank with paper towels and make sure the fumes are aired out. No rinse after using the Wipe Out. Completely disinfect without needing to make a mess.

arielgasca420

GriftheGreat is spot on.
    wipe out is a really good product and they also have mite off that works like a charm if you have a mite problem in your cage. its a little more expensive but takes away the labor of rinsing with hot water. the only things i disinfect in the cage with a bleach ratio is the water bowls.

mrzoggs

some solutions have a much small action range than bleach. bleach is definitely more effective than a lot of other things you can find. ive heard you can follow it up with a aquarium dechlorinator rinse afterwards just to be sure. bleach is also very cheap and easy to obtain. and will also last you a long time because your diluting it 10:1.

you could also look up oxine ah.
    The Many Uses of Oxine AH (Animal Health)

they say its much milder...

bleach would be the way to go. just use it right. it kills almost anything and is cheap and easy to get. if your worried about not getting all the fumes out (which rinsing, air drying, and wiping) will do fine, use an aquarium dechlorinator.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mrzoggs View Post
    some solutions have a much small action range than bleach. bleach is definitely more effective than a lot of other things you can find. ive heard you can follow it up with a aquarium dechlorinator rinse afterwards just to be sure. bleach is also very cheap and easy to obtain. and will also last you a long time because your diluting it 10:1.

you could also look up oxine ah.
    The Many Uses of Oxine AH (Animal Health)

they say its much milder...
    bleach would be the way to go. just use it right. it kills almost anything and is cheap and easy to get. if your worried about not getting all the fumes out (which rinsing, air drying, and wiping) will do fine, use an aquarium dechlorinator.

I've heard too many horror stories with using bleach so I don't use it. Even diluted is powerful enough to kill your frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by arielgasca420 View Post
    GriftheGreat is spot on.
    wipe out is a really good product and they also have mite off that works like a charm if you have a mite problem in your cage. its a little more expensive but takes away the labor of rinsing with hot water. the only things i disinfect in the cage with a bleach ratio is the water bowls.
    Mite off isn't safe for amphibians. Its made for reptiles. I will never use bleach in their water dishes ever. Risky. I just rinse them out with really scalding hot water then wipe them dry with paper towels. That kills anything.

mrzoggs

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I've heard too many horror stories with using bleach so I don't use it. Even diluted is powerful enough to kill your frogs.
    if rinsed and air dried properly there will be no bleach left. i have to clean at least 2 tanks for my red eyes every couple days. they are going through a hookworm treatment. dr frye recommended bleach along with many other genius froggers i know. i wash EVERYTHING with bleach. a rinse and an air dry and everything is gone. i for one have never heard of a horror story with bleach. and if there was one, they obviously didnt use the proper precautions when rinsing and drying.

yes diluted bleach can kill your frogs, if they come in contact with it... after i rinse with water in the bathtub for a few minutes, i fill up the containor with fresh water straight from the tub and let it sit for a few minutes. then i dump it all out and whipe it all clean. i smell zero bleach inside the tank and also have brought it around the house to make sure no one else smelled any either (just to make sure my nose wasnt already used to it from cleaning) and it has worked fine for me.

Nationality
    [United States]

if rinsed and air dried properly there will be no bleach left. i have to clean at least 2 tanks for my red eyes every couple days. they are going through a hookworm treatment. dr frye recommended bleach along with many other genius froggers i know. i wash EVERYTHING with bleach. a rinse and an air dry and everything is gone. i for one have never heard of a horror story with bleach. and if there was one, they obviously didnt use the proper precautions when rinsing and drying.

yes diluted bleach can kill your frogs, if they come in contact with it... after i rinse with water in the bathtub for a few minutes, i fill up the containor with fresh water straight from the tub and let it sit for a few minutes. then i dump it all out and whipe it all clean. i smell zero bleach inside the tank and also have brought it around the house to make sure no one else smelled any either (just to make sure my nose wasnt already used to it from cleaning) and it has worked fine for me.
    When cleaning the tank to rid it and the frogs of parasites that they are already infected with is standard quarantine procedure. Its different than regular tank cleaning, BUT if the tank has a powerful odor then their is no substitute for bleach to rid the tank of the odor and any stains.

mrzoggs

when doing a "total cleanout", i would use only bleach and water. It is safe if used right, cheap and easy to obtain, and is more effective in killing germs, bacteria, mold, etc than anything else available. There is no problem with using bleach. Do not spray your frogs with it or put your frogs in a tank that has bleach in it. That is common sense. It is not for just getting rid of parasites for QT, the frog can also get bacterial infections from inproper cleaning/sterilization of a tank. So whether or not my frogs have or do not have hookworms, the cleaning process would be the same for me.

Nationality
    [United States]

If I've got to do a serious clean-out of a tank, like if there was an infestation or if an animal with an infection was housed in it, then I'll think about bleach. Most of the time, I do more frequent cleanings with vinegar. A good scrub and rinse with vinegar seems to work fine for basic substrate changes.

mrzoggs

Nationality
    [United States]

when doing a "total cleanout", i would use only bleach and water. It is safe if used right, cheap and easy to obtain, and is more effective in killing germs, bacteria, mold, etc than anything else available. There is no problem with using bleach. Do not spray your frogs with it or put your frogs in a tank that has bleach in it. That is common sense. It is not for just getting rid of parasites for QT, the frog can also get bacterial infections from inproper cleaning/sterilization of a tank. So whether or not my frogs have or do not have hookworms, the cleaning process would be the same for me.
    This is going to sound bad to most people, but is the truth. Some exposure to bacteria and other pathogens is actually good. Now I am not saying that people should improperly cleanse their frogs enclosure. Like us the build up immunities through exposure. Parasites of course don't quite count because the only immunity to them is something that is found to be inedible or a deterrent. Kind of like how Garlic and Hot pepper eating prevents mosquitos and ticks, but bacteria and viruses have to be present to create resistance. This is what strengthens the frogs immune system. If the entire tank is always germ free(which is impossible) and the frog never gets exposed to such things then it will be at a disadvantage when it actually does get sick. Wipe Out contains alcohol which can be smelled unmistakably when sprayed. Alcohol is a disinfectant with killing properties that don't cease until the alcohol evaporates. Bleach loses its disinfecting properties the very moment it comes in contact with organic matter, but is still toxic to animals. It could be argued that both are equally as good as the other in disinfecting as the y both kill in the same way and both lose the ability to do so rather quickly.

Either could be used in a serious scrub down. Just one is more messy than the other. Germs of course mutate and build up immunities as well(ex. the Flu) People who use hand sanitizer all the time can become sick and are more likely to due to the fact that they don't actually get exposed to pathogens like someone who just washes their hands with soap and hot water. Super germ are created all the time because they must adapt like we do to survive.

I hope this is understood and not taken as me saying that its ok to not clean your frogs home properly, but there is no one picking up behind them nor washing their environment down with antibacterial and fungicides in their natural setting. It all comes down to when you come in contact with your frog. Make sure you're hands are clean and YES definitely disinfect, but either cleanser is just as good as the other as long as used directly and of course while using common sense.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The best and safest to use is probably Nolvasan which is chlorhexidine.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

This is going to sound bad to most people, but is the truth. Some exposure to bacteria and other pathogens is actually good. Now I am not saying that people should improperly cleanse their frogs enclosure. Like us the build up immunities through exposure. Parasites of course don't quite count because the only immunity to them is something that is found to be inedible or a deterrent. Kind of like how Garlic and Hot pepper eating prevents mosquitos and ticks, but bacteria and viruses have to be present to create resistance. This is what strengthens the frogs immune system. If the entire tank is always germ free(which is impossible) and the frog never gets exposed to such things then it will be at a disadvantage when it actually does get sick. Wipe Out contains alcohol which can be smelled unmistakably when sprayed. Alcohol is a disinfectant with killing properties that don't cease until the alcohol evaporates. Bleach loses its disinfecting properties the very moment it comes in contact with organic matter, but is still toxic to animals. It could be argued that both are equally as good as the other in disinfecting as the y both kill in the same way and both lose the ability to do so rather quickly.

Either could be used in a serious scrub down. Just one is more messy than the other. Germs of course mutate and build up immunities as well(ex. the Flu) People who use hand sanitizer all the time can become sick and are more likely to due to the fact that they don't actually get exposed to pathogens like someone who just washes their hands with soap and hot water. Super germ are created all the time because they must adapt like we do to survive.

I hope this is understood and not taken as me saying that its ok to not clean your frogs home properly, but there is no one picking up behind them nor washing their environment down with antibacterial and fungicides in their natural setting. It all comes down to when you come in contact with your frog. Make sure you're hands are clean and YES definitely disinfect, but either cleanser is just as good as the other as long as used directly and of course while using common sense.
    In the enclosed enviroment of the terrarium, what starts out as a small exposure to a pathogen quickly becomes a serious build up.

mrzoggs

but either cleanser is just as good as the other as long as used directly and of course while using common sense.

Id hate to get picky, because im sure both are definitely "ok" to use, but there is definitely no reason that bleach should not be used. Bleach is absolutely safe to clean with. It is also cheap and easy to obtain. Wipe out does not clean as well as bleach. It does not kill as many germs as bleach. Frogs in the wild are FAR different from frogs inside your home. They are introduced to a whole nother level of bacteria once entered into a home. No ones tank inside there home are as self sustaining as the wild, and most of these frogs are not field collected. Its a whole different level when you want to talk about wild vs in home cleaning. I could see a germ building up a immunity to Zoo Med wipe out before they develop an immunity to bleach. Alcohol does not disinfect as well as bleach.

I am not saying there is any problem with using Zoo Med wipe out, Im sure it smells a lot better than bleach, BUT is far less effective when it comes to cleaning. Also, just like bleach, is NOT safe if it is not used properly.

And actually, in a natural setting, there is something picking up behind them and cleaning their environment, BUGS! lol. If I had to write a list of the "good and bad" of either bleach or Zoo Med, I would put my money on bleach.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    In the enclosed enviroment of the terrarium, what starts out as a small exposure to a pathogen quickly becomes a serious build up.
    Yes, which is why we disinfect with each cleaning. I prefer to clean and change out bedding every 2 weeks, but that is not necessary and is the safest way to prevent infection and possible Txting Out Syndrome from ammonia build up due to the frogs urine. I can go longer and do, but when it comes to baby frogs I change more often and disinfect each time. Never do I just empty and rinse out the tanks without them being disinfected or scalded. I will not dis infect if I'm swapping substrate that has become too wet from my frog splashing all the water out of it water dish though. That only takes one time and usually just rinse out the enclosure with scalding hot water and wipe it down before replacing everything back. This usually happens within small critter keepers I have and the substrate isn't even a week old.

Nationality
    [United States]

Id hate to get picky, because im sure both are definitely "ok" to use, but there is definitely no reason that bleach should not be used. Bleach is absolutely safe to clean with. It is also cheap and easy to obtain. Wipe out does not clean as well as bleach. It does not kill as many germs as bleach. Frogs in the wild are FAR different from frogs inside your home. They are introduced to a whole nother level of bacteria once entered into a home. No ones tank inside there home are as self sustaining as the wild, and most of these frogs are not field collected. Its a whole different level when you want to talk about wild vs in home cleaning. I could see a germ building up a immunity to Zoo Med wipe out before they develop an immunity to bleach. Alcohol does not disinfect as well as bleach.

I am not saying there is any problem with using Zoo Med wipe out, Im sure it smells a lot better than bleach, BUT is far less effective when it comes to cleaning. Also, just like bleach, is NOT safe if it is not used properly.

And actually, in a natural setting, there is something picking up behind them and cleaning their environment, BUGS! lol. If I had to write a list of the "good and bad" of either bleach or Zoo Med, I would put my money on bleach.
    Neither smell good believe me. Bugs do clean up after them yes and so do bacteria. They are exposed to new germs while in captivity. For one its not their natural environment and its impossible to simulate it to the fullest. There are pathogens here that are not in their normal environment that they get exposed to everyday. I'm not saying bleach should never be used there are alternatives and you have your preference which is bleach. I am not going to argue the subject to try and win people over to which ever disinfectant to use either. There are many pros and cons for every cleaner out their I myself do not have the choice to spray down the inside of my enclosure with pressurized water to flush all the bleach out of the enclosure so I am forced to use another method which works very well and while bleach kills 99.9% of pathogens alcohol kills 99% so one may be stronger than the other, but hurt will always be that number that survives or is reintroduced after cleaning just from your touch or even your breath on the tank.

Cleaners should smell bad and have a chemical smell in my opinion. Otherwise I guess we could mix cinnamon with water and disinfect with its germ killing properties, but that's much less effective Lol! Either is good(minus the cinnamon solution). Basically the choice is up to the individual and what suits him/her best right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information