Thread: bump, filtration, lighting, and feeding questions.

unico

Default bump, filtration, lighting, and feeding questions.

ok, my clawed frog has a pink swollen bump on his nose and on the bottom of one of his rear toes. My water quality is good, any idea what this could be and what I can do about it?

What is recommended about filtration? I read one place that filtration could stress out the frog and that the water should just be mostly changed every week. But I only read this one place and it was very non-specific. I am running both underwater filtration and an intank tetra whisper. could this be causing stress, and possible physical deformations? Should I remove all filtration and if so how often and what percentage for water changes.

12 hr day light cycles? When the light is off he just rams his head repeatedly into everything. As his nose is swollen and has a large bump I was wondering if I should just keep the light on for a while as he seems to go crazy when the light is off. also when ever I turn the light on or off the click of the light really freaks him out.

how often to feed?

thanks of all the info and suggestions for the above topics, would have been nice to find a care sheet on the site somewhere - if there is one please post a link as I looked with no success.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: bump, filtration, lighting, and feeding questions.

Sorry you haven't gotten a swifter reply on your post, this is a good website for the frogs general care.

All About African Clawed Frogs

Also it is the sudden change in lighting that freaks him out, perhaps try picking up the hood, turning the light off, and then putting it back on top, this makes for a more gradual light change. (it works for my freak out quails that will fly up and bump their heads if I flip their light on and off.) Another thing is how is your tank furnished? Does he have live or silk plants to shelter in, or caves? This with perhaps some top water plants like silk lily pads or duckweed will dapple the light and not frighten him either.

Also filtration is good to keep the water quality up. These frogs do come from slow running streams and pools in the wild, but unless you are running a really high powered filter in a small tank the current probably does not bother him.

I hope this has helped a bit

unico

thanks for the info, I will definitely check out the site. I have one hollowed log about 10 inches long with a few holes in it... fake log, and the top of my tank has a canopy of anachris. He loves to swim play hunt and lounge in it.

Nationality
    [United States]

I run a Whisper 40i (40g) and a Marineland Penguin 150b (30g) on a 20gallon tank and my frogs are fine. I did the 1litre soda bottle baffle trick on the marineland though cause I hate the sound of the waterfall.

unico

well, I did start lifting the hood and clicking the light that seemed to freak him out also. So about a week ago I started unplugging the light instead and his bump on his nose is almost gone so glad it wasn't a tumor.

Nationality
    [United States]

lights startle them badly.. when i turn my lights on and off (and i use LED lights mind you) I gently lift the lid off and turn them off and vice versa for turning them on.. sudden changes in lights causes little froggy panic attacks, quick can be kind of scary actually

Thread Information