Thread: getting a nice large tank

unico

Default getting a nice large tank

what kind of fish would be safe and friendly in with my acf? he seems to leave fish larger than 1" alone. also my frog has acquired a lump on his nose. not sure if it is cause he swims frantically and hits his nose on the glass or not. anyone know if I should be concerned? thanks for all the help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: getting a nice large tank

Quote Originally Posted by unico View Post
    what kind of fish would be safe and friendly in with my acf? he seems to leave fish larger than 1" alone. also my frog has acquired a lump on his nose. not sure if it is cause he swims frantically and hits his nose on the glass or not. anyone know if I should be concerned? thanks for all the help
    There's really no good choices.. maybe if you had a large tank, and fast fish that stayed mostly towards the top of the tank, still ... eventually, they will get eaten.

In return you don't want a large fish that could turn aggressive against the frog..

Honestly ACF just do better on their own. I only keep mine with small guppies I breed for feeders.

I don't know about the bump.. do you keep sharp rocks in the tank? They do tend to crash into things, a lot.

unico

I'm getting a 55 gallon for him and my pleco. I also have a apple snail and a few breeder guppies, He won't eat the adult females, only the little babies. though he is not fully grown, I think I will get him a mate, this time it will be a natural, not a possibly altered albino. thanks for the info.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm getting a 55 gallon for him and my pleco. I also have a apple snail and a few breeder guppies, He won't eat the adult females, only the little babies. though he is not fully grown, I think I will get him a mate, this time it will be a natural, not a possibly altered albino. thanks for the info.
    Is it a common pleco? They get too large for a 55 gallon. My ACF do well with fish too since they're babies but full grown adults are much different.. also ACF grow quickily, if he grows faster than the pleco and becomes large enough to eat it, the ACF will try to swallow it and they will both die. :\

unico

my pleco is already 6 or 7 " ... he's a big boy, and when he out grows the 55 gallon I will worry about it then, I have had him for 5 or 6 years already. regardless of how big my acf gets there is no way he is fitting that in his mouth. giggle. just didn't know if anyone had any experience with community fish and the acf.

Nationality
    [United States]

my pleco is already 6 or 7 " ... he's a big boy, and when he out grows the 55 gallon I will worry about it then, I have had him for 5 or 6 years already. regardless of how big my acf gets there is no way he is fitting that in his mouth. giggle. just didn't know if anyone had any experience with community fish and the acf.
    Well it's generally the same as asking what mice should I keep in my snake cage.. I suppose fast moving top of the water swimming tetras would work. Or larger non aggressive fish could work.. I suppose larger goldfish MIGHT work but the frogs would probably harass them and they're both waste machines.. I think I read that black skirt tetras are good at avoiding getting eaten. A 55 gallon is 21" high so really any fish that stays near the surface and is not big enough to get eaten and in return is not aggressive towards other fish or frogs would work, in theory.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Problem with your pleco, in addition to the fact that it is stunting in too small of a tank, is a lot of species of plecos, especially including commons and the larger species, are slime coat eaters - - meaning that as the pleco grows it will develop a tendency to suck on things other than wood as it claims its territory - this means tank mates also.

With other bottom dwellers, such as frogs or other plecos/slow moving fish, this can cause a very large problem.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]

I had to rehome a common pleco not too long ago after unwisely purchasing a small 3 inch one, I kept it housed with my froglet ACF in a 20 gallon but then I read up on plecos and how big they get and how they become once they get larger. I do not regret rehoming it, I also have a 55 gallon myself and I felt that was too small for a pleco and I do not plan on getting a 125 gallon tank to accommodate it when full sized.

Honestly ACF should be kept with other ACF there are no suitable tank mates for these guys. The only fish I keep with my ACF are my feeder guppies, which I breed myself.

brittane2216

I kept mine with a large koi the koi isnt really agressive and it was way to large for them to eat.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by brittane2216 View Post
    I kept mine with a large koi the koi isnt really agressive and it was way to large for them to eat.
    Do Koi not get extremely large and require 10 gallon an inch? Sounds like a temporary set up..

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Koi is definitely a poor choice for an indoor tank - they are pond fish. I have kept adult goldfish with mine for some time with no problems other than a few rips in the fins until they learned to avoid the frogs.

You need a large tank and a very powerful filter for the combination and if both can't be provided then the combination shouldn't be attempted. You also have to be diligent about making sure each have their proper feedings.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

brittane2216

I only had on koi in with mine. He had to move to the frog tank since he decided to eat some of my smaller fish in my goldfish tank. I kept my frogs and one koi in a 55 gallon with good filtration and watched everyone eat, gave sinking food to frogs and floating food for the one koi. Not saying get several of them but one good size koi get along just fine in my tank with my 3flower frogs

brittane2216

3* frogs. My phone messed up lol

unico

ok, decided to rehome my pleco. Someone is suppose to be picking him up in the next week. Unfortunately the 55 gallon tank deal fell through

Have other questions, will start a new thread...

Thread Information