Thread: hibernation, seperated my pac-pixie!

Wicked frogs

Default hibernation, seperated my pac-pixie!

I got a few questions for ya, i listened to my instinct and from what people on here said about my full grown pac man and dwarf pixie living together even though they got along together. So i figured that the terrarium needed a good douching so i went out and bought a 4 pack of eco earth soil washed down the fake plants with D. water and spruced the terrariums up. Before they only had about 2 inches of eco since they have grown i put them in about 3 inches deep of eco. When i separated them i gave them a good meal to lessen the stress i know after you feed them they like to borrow but it has been 2 and a half weeks or more since either of them has even stuck there head up from the soil. My question is if they are hibernating how long can both species hibernate for? i have herd of pac mans hibernating for months on end but i wanted to make sure because i don't want to check on them and stress them out more here is a couple photos that i took for you guys to see the terrariums the left pic is holding the pixie and the right one the pac.

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  70.2 KBName:  001.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  105.5 KB

Timmy Z

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: hibernation, seperated my pac-pixie!

Hi Tim,

They can Brumate/Aestivate for around 3 months IF they were well Fed prior to going into Aestivation. More than likely the new change in scenery has cause a slight bit of stress on both frogs and I will say this. when given enough substrate to completely cover themselves you can bet that they'll take full advantage of that.

Go ahead and uncover each frogs face so they can see when its time for you to feed. You'll need to check on them anyway to make sure they're ok and see if they want a snack. If they wake up and all is well just give them a warm soak and something to eat.

Keep us posted.

Wicked frogs

Thank you, i uncovered pac just to where i can see his eyes he's doing fine my pixie was a nut! lol i was just brushing off the dirt and i saw his neck he hissed lol so i went to brush the dirt in front of him and he bounced outta the dirt it really shook me for a second cause he jumped pretty far up on the soil i swear i can see him growing into his adult body but when i was looking down he puffed himself out which makes him look bigger i don't know i think it's his colors really popping out but yea im glad they are still chilling.

How many months out of a year can they Brumate/Aestivate?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked frogs View Post
    Thank you, i uncovered pac just to where i can see his eyes he's doing fine my pixie was a nut! lol i was just brushing off the dirt and i saw his neck he hissed lol so i went to brush the dirt in front of him and he bounced outta the dirt it really shook me for a second cause he jumped pretty far up on the soil i swear i can see him growing into his adult body but when i was looking down he puffed himself out which makes him look bigger i don't know i think it's his colors really popping out but yea im glad they are still chilling.

How many months out of a year can they Brumate/Aestivate?
    Until rain returns and the dry season ends but you don't have to aestivate them. You can just maintain spring/summer climates and they will not feel the need to do so.

Breeding them requires a dormancy period to simulate the coming of the rains and spring. They should be fine. Offer them some food tonight.

Wicked frogs

My girlfriend got the idea to put bubble rap on the top to keep the humidity in on both tanks so she was a doll and did that for me, watered them down, last night they were up and causing ruckus i think it might of been the humidity they were borrowing and same with the move but all is good and im happy.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked frogs View Post
    My girlfriend got the idea to put bubble rap on the top to keep the humidity in on both tanks so she was a doll and did that for me, watered them down, last night they were up and causing ruckus i think it might of been the humidity they were borrowing and same with the move but all is good and im happy.
    Good to hear.

Thread Information