Thread: Does this look normal?

Reptilegal

Default Does this look normal?

I saw one of my whites tree frogs looking quite skinny,
    They eat very well I chop up 2-3 LARGE crix into small bits and feed them equally.
    There is not TOO much or TOO little poop in the enclosure and he/she is pretty active

He/she is the middle one

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

frogzombie

Default Re: Does this look normal?

I'm not a vet or an expert but I think your frogs look goog love them hanging out together I'd be worried if you start to see spine but I can see how you'd be concerned about weight loss with different species in one tank .. I've never heard of breaking the cricket apart but whatever works

dadmccabe

looks fine. Have you tried bowl-feeding (live crickets)?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I think they look good too. My Fiona sometimes looks real skinny like the one in your top picture but once she sits in her water bowl she plumps right up again. As long as it's eating and active, I wouldn't worry.

Reptilegal

Quote Originally Posted by frogzombie View Post
    I'm not a vet or an expert but I think your frogs look goog love them hanging out together I'd be worried if you start to see spine but I can see how you'd be concerned about weight loss with different species in one tank .. I've never heard of breaking the cricket apart but whatever works
    Different species? Im quite shure they are all whites tree frogs, its just one likes to stay green and the others brownish, iv been able to give the green one a name cos before i couldnt cos they were all the same color!! Lol

Reptilegal

Quote Originally Posted by dadmccabe View Post
    looks fine. Have you tried bowl-feeding (live crickets)?
    Yes i do that sometimes but one frog is VERY greedy! So i dont do it too often

dadmccabe

I see. Well I'm pretty new to this stuff myself (and I only have one WTF in my viv) but I've read that some people feed their animals in separate enclosures. I'm not sure what kind of stress "re-locating" each frog for her daily feeding might cause, but I would imagine hand-feeding it 'cricket bits' might be as stressful (if not more) Almost akin to force feeding.. If your "skinny" WTF is a shy eater, maybe you should consider a separate viv for her / or conversely, a separate viv for your aggressive eater? That way you won't have to handle them daily or separate them for meal-time. I really like bowl feeding because I can monitor exactly how much (or little) my little pal is eating. She's also "thinner" than I anticipated for a WTF (although she's still young) AND lately she's been eating exactly two crickets each night. No more, usually no less... Again, I expected her to gobble up everything in sight based on what I had read about Dumpys being voracious eaters.. Anyway, I'm rambling.. but - your WTF looks ok I would try to get her eating "live" crickets though.. by all means get many opinions though... I'm very new!!

Kristen

I don't think he looks skinny at all. He looks to be a healthy weight. When I took my frogs to the vet, I asked if my Whites were a bit thin (One is like yours) and he said he was perfect. He looks filled out and has that 'flap' of fat over his ear. Don't stress He could gain some weight, but its not really needed.

Reptilegal

Well I'm glad he/she looks ok!! My thread rated 5 star!! That's cool!!! XD

Thread Information