Thread: New Cobalts and Bumblebees - could use any advise to make sure they stay healthy & happy

Beckey2054

Default New Cobalts and Bumblebees - could use any advise to make sure they stay healthy & happy

Hi everyone!
    I have been waiting for this day for years (literally). I had some Azureus several years ago, but due to many things I had to sell them after only having them a couple months.. Broke my heart.. Today I was finally able to fulfill my dream of having darts. I noticed a local ad wanting to sell all his frogs. I almost fell on the floor it was too good to be true.. I purchased all his frogs.. 4 beautiful adult cobalts (2 male. 2 female around 14 months of age) and 4 itty bitty bumblebees (about 2months old). I have done nothing but watch them "play" all day long.
    I know I did not know everything the first time I owned darts(especially as it was so short lived).. and I am sure there are things I need to know this time too..I have read everything online for the last few months as I knew this would be the year I purchased some..Already had my set ups ready to go (as I figured it couldn't hurt to have the plants all established until I could afford inhabitants) I just did not realize it would be today (thought more along the lines of Christmas time)or so many for such a great price!!
    I raise my own cricket stock (for feeding other animals...) so I have plenty of pinheads to feed them.. I also have cultures of fruit flies. Each group are in their own beautiful vivariums/terrariums planted with bromiliads and other humid loving plants, with a waterfall and small pool, have shelter and hiding places, and so far seem to be very happy - as they are all over and out in the open instead of in hiding I am assuming they are happy.. plus the larger ones are gulping down crickets like its their first meal in days.. lol..
    What I am looking for is any advise on care for these beauties, other feeding essentials, and just anything anyone can tell me that will keep them living long and happy healthy lives that will (hopefully soon) lead to little eggs and tadpoles to enjoy too.. OH.. and my husband wanted to know if we can put small (think new babies) fish in with them and if they will eat them.. We also raise several types of fish (zebra danios, guppies, mollies.. ect) for some of our other animals to eat. (I think we may have a little zoo here.. lol) And I also have Malaysia Trumpet snails in my aquariums and wondered if anyone knew if they could/would be ok in with the darts.. They are great little cleaner crews so I keep them around to "clean up" for me.. wouldn't mind if they helped to keep the vivariums clean too.. (if they won't be a problem for my beauties that is) - anyone know or have any idea if it will work? I do not want to just try it and find out that its a danger to the frogs. I would be devastated if something happens to them....
    Not sure how to upload photos, but as soon as I figure that out I will post photos of my beauties!

Thank you in advance everyone!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Frog Tropics

Default Re: New Cobalts and Bumblebees - could use any advise to make sure they stay healthy & happy

It sounds like you're reading everything you can on these guys (both great beginner species) and off to a good start. Most vendor/sponsor websites have Care Sheets you can access, as well, for general information. My best advice is to watch your food supply. The number one mistake I see is people running out of cultures (whether they crash or get mites or whatnot) and finding themselves in a pinch. As for the fish, dart frogs drown (and sometimes try to drown one another) fairly easily, so I'd say keep the water shallow or inaccessible. At least for now, until you're a little more experienced. That said, a water feature is very feasible. Good luck and enjoy!
    Last edited by Frog Tropics; July 29th, 2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Typo Stupid iPhone

Beckey2054

Default Re: New Cobalts and Bumblebees - could use any advise to make sure they stay healthy & happy

Thank you for the info on the water! We have the little "pools" very shallow right now and I actually did not even know they could drown.. water level is about 1/2 inch or less and the pool is very small.. about 2 inches diameter. mostly just a place they can get into water if needed. I keep my crickets going fairly constant for our other animals (we feed our quail, garter snakes (mine do eat them) and Mantids crickets and they get so expensive when you go through 50+ a week, not counting what the frogs eat yet..). Its been a few months since I had fruit fly cultures as I only had them for the time my mantids were newly hatched and a few weeks after. Then moved them onto the crickets. I purchased 4 cultures and have started 2 out of those today. I will start two every week for a while see how that goes, and if its too many Ill cut back a bit. When I was doing the cultures for my mantids I only started one every week & sometimes even skipped a week when I had so many. Next week we will be taking the huge aquarium we have (150 gallon..) and start turning it into a terrarium. My husband wants to divide it in half with a pane of glass, so we can have them side by side in "one" house. Then we will use the ones we have now for if /when we start to need a home for babies or mating pairs that might fight. I had read that the males can get territorial when mating and could hurt the other inhabitants. Would moving them if they are ready to mate disrupt them too much? or should I leave them, and move the others. And when they lay their eggs, do I need to do anything special for them? We plan on just letting the frogs take care of them on their own, with maybe a little help here and there if needed. I am not wanting to raise a bunch of babies to sell, just for the experience of it and we decided we would enjoy it more if we could see the frogs take care of their eggs and babies and then if we get too many (I am sure that we will have fewer doing it this way.. but there you go) then we will sell or trade them out at that point. Just was not sure if I should feed them anything special or added things for when they lay eggs, or if I should do anything at all.
    Anyway.. thank you so much for any help and advise. I am still so giddy about these guys.. We were gone all day today for family functions and I couldn't wait to get home to watch them.. Ran in and gave them some pinheads just so I could watch them gobble them up..

Thread Information