Thread: Hiding Frog

asmw25

Default Hiding Frog

how long can a frog hide (not seen)( D. galactonotus orange). Can it be weeks, can it be longer. If it is hiding, will it eat? Will it hide under moss? concerned new frog caregiver.
    Thanks
    Last edited by asmw25; July 19th, 2012 at 11:45 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Hiding Frog

What type of frog are we talking about? Generally speaking, the more hiding spots.. the more bold the frogs will be. There was a time where i didnt see one of my dart frogs for a month. I thought it had died but sure enough one day she came out of hiding. It really comes down to how comfortable the frog is in their tank and the frogs personality. Just my 2 cents

-Kevin
    D. Azureus
    R. Imitator - "Cainarachi Valley "

asmw25

D. Galactonotus Orange

Nationality
    [United States]

i am not to familar with that species but could you take some pictures of your vivairum? Everyone loves pictures hahaha but are there lots of hiding places for them?

I've also heard that if the humidity is low that the frogs will go and hide. Consider looking into that. Just a few ideas. I would love to see pictures of your vivarium though
    D. Azureus
    R. Imitator - "Cainarachi Valley "

BRIAND

I have had dart frogs hide for 7-8 months. They may have been coming out at night or when I was not around but I did not see them. I had a tank with 3 green leg Panguana sirensis that I ended up giving to a friend of mine because I thought it was empty. He put it in the corner of his frog room for a couple more months. when he went to clean it out he found 2 of the 3 frogs hiding in the back ground. I also had a group of 4 orange galacts. I would regularly see 2 and occassionally the a 3rd. I was convinced the 4th had perished. When I eventually sold the "trio" I found the 4th one that was missing about a week later.
    Kevin is correct about humidity and comfort in the tank. Your frogs will generally be willing to venture out in the open when they feel they have a secure place nearby to run for cover. If humidity is too low than they will hunker down. I agree that seeing pics of your vivarium would be helpful in determining if there is a problem or you jusyt happen to have a very shy frog!

asmw25

At last!!!!! he showed his cute face after a month. I raised the humitity and that was the magic.

Thread Information