Thread: Ecuadorean tree frog ID

Default Ecuadorean tree frog ID

Hi all,

Just wondered if there are any experts here able to assist me with identification of some tree frogs from Ecuador? They came in on flowers to a florists, recently rehomed to a rescue centre that I deal with.

They are fairly large (up to approx 10 cm snout-vent length), brown, flattish faces with prominent ridges. I have pics available , but they're too large to upload here - happy to email them to anyone willing to help!

Grateful for any help! Cheers,

Bruce.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Ecuadorean tree frog ID

I might be able to help.

Kurt

I have managed to ID this frog. It is Jordan's casque-headed treefrog, Trachycephalus jordani.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Nice one Kurt.

Kurt

Thanks. I thought it might be Hypsiboas boans at first from the description. But as soon as I saw the pictures I knew it was a Trachycephalus species. Looking at pictures on-line they all pretty much looked the same to me, so I did a search on the ranges of three species, jordani, atlas, and nigromaculatus. Of those three, only one can be found in Ecuador, and that is Trachycephalus jordani.

I had to make another ID tonight as well. They place where I had purchased the pair of Phrynomantis bifasciatus had a frog that some one had brought in. They weren't sure what it was so they asked me to ID it. So I took a few pics with my cell phone and did a search upon returning home. When I first saw it it looked like some sort of Ranid, kind of like Rana muscosa but the eyes were all wrong. It has diamond-shaped pupils. The person who had brought it in said it was a goliath frog, so thats where I started my research. I discovered very quickly that it wasn't a "true" goliath frog, but something very close. I IDed it as a Conraua alleni, a very close relative. Its common name is Allen's slippery frog, but is sometimes imported in under the name of goliath frog. The "true" goliath frog is Conraua goliath and its huge. We have a perserved one on display at the Harvard University Museum of Natural History.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I have managed to ID this frog. It is Jordan's casque-headed treefrog, Trachycephalus jordani.
    Thanks very much Kurt, much appreciated. Thanks also to Alex!

Bruce.

Kurt

You're welcome. What did Alex ID it as?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I just received the photos. It's definitely Trachycephalus and I concur with Kurt's decision of jordani based on the apparent location it was collected from. Just based on the photos I would say either atlas or jordani.

Alex

Thread Information