Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP !!! Parasitic worms found in my WC Bufo alvarius toads

jacuoco88

Default Re: HELP !!! Parasitic worms found in my WC Bufo alvarius toads

UPDATE: I emailed Dr. Frye yesterday and he asked me to send photos of the worms. So I made a short video using my iPad showing about 8 of the worms removed from the fecal matter. I put a penny next to them for size reference. I didn't hear back from the Doc til this morning and he wrote "That's crazy. Those aren't hookworms or nematodes. They look like maggots.". He asked me if they are that "mobile" right after coming out the toad, because in the video, they're going berserk. This whole episode has me really creeped out because I think the maggots came from the raw Angus beef I fed them. I ate the same meat, albeit, well cooked. He said the Panacur would kill the maggots too. I had already ordered some from Amazon.com last night (Panacur C - fenbendazole). It came out to only $7 w/shipping. Can't beat that. I have to do more research because I was under the impression that maggots aren't parasites because they can only feed on dead flesh.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

arielgasca420

Well, now i know not to feed raw meat to my frog. Was this your first time feeding raw beef? If you have some left you should try pour a little soda on it to see if the maggots come out.

jacuoco88

Cool Re: HELP !!! Parasitic worms found in my WC Bufo alvarius toads

Quote Originally Posted by arielgasca420 View Post
    Well, now i know not to feed raw meat to my frog. Was this your first time feeding raw beef? If you have some left you should try pour a little soda on it to see if the maggots come out.
    Yeah, it was the first time because I just bought the toads recently. But I just think there are microscopic eggs on the beef and then they develop into larvae (maggots) during the few days it takes for the meat to travel through the toad's digestive tract. It was just regular Angus beef I bought at the supermarket for myself to eat and I set aside some for them to eat. I was trying to save $ because pinky mice in NYC cost about $2/each. I can get 20 of those out a $1 piece of meat. From now on I'm just gonna nuke the meat in the microwave first. That should everything (bacteria, parasites, etc.)
    Where did you hear that pouring soda on meat makes maggots come out? LMAO!!

mrzoggs

anything carbonated will make them come out. i suggest sprite, just because its clear and you will be able to see them better.

arielgasca420

I wouldnt suggest fatty foods for too long. It would be like fattening up a kid with top ramen. Not very nutritious. Since NY is so close to canada i would check around for canadian nightcrawlers. They are an excellent food and thrive well in cooler weather.
    I didnt hear the soda trick from any one source. I saw a youtube video of sprite being poured on raw pork meat and little white things squirming around. I only suggest this so that you can get the maggots to come out and go back to the supermarket and get a refund. Thats just wrong and is one reason i stay away from meats

NoviceFrogger

How did you administer the Panacur C - fenbendazole? Also, how often was it administered?

mrzoggs

you dust your feeders with it once a week.

jacuoco88

Thumbs up Re: HELP !!! Parasitic worms found in my WC Bufo alvarius toads

Quote Originally Posted by NoviceFrogger View Post
    How did you administer the Panacur C - fenbendazole? Also, how often was it administered?
    I sprinkled some on pieces of meat three times a week for two weeks. The toads showed no ill effects from the medication and have been thriving ever since. In fact, they've doubled in size. I made two YouTube videos of me feeding them.

NoviceFrogger

Thanks for the info, I just ordered some Panacur C - fenbendazole and will give it to the remaining frog jus to make sure he is healthy. Once you administer one course of medicine is there any reason to expect any parasites in the future or is this a one time issue?

jacuoco88

Exclamation Re: HELP !!! Parasitic worms found in my WC Bufo alvarius toads

Quote Originally Posted by NoviceFrogger View Post
    Thanks for the info, I just ordered some Panacur C - fenbendazole and will give it to the remaining frog jus to make sure he is healthy. Once you administer one course of medicine is there any reason to expect any parasites in the future or is this a one time issue?
    My understanding on the subject is that ALL wild caught fauna whether they're amphibians, reptiles, mammals and invertebrates are most likely infected with Nematode Worms and should receive a course of a broad spectrum anti-microbial such as Panacur C. Once the animals have gone through the regimen, the only way for them to get reinfected is exposure to the old substrate (so replace it or microwave it and sterilize enclosure) or exposure to a WC animal newly introduced into your collection. So segregate and medicate any new additions that MAY have been WC. Dealers don't always tell the truth. I personally know a guy whose entire arachnid collection was wiped out by nematodes -- so they're no joke. You can order Panacur C from Amazon.com which includes S&H for only $7. And I only had to use 1/2 of one of the three packs. I'm glad to help but always do your own research. It's interesting also.

babyvmunster

so, i think this happened to our white lipped tree frog. he had fruit flies in his tank this week.. is it harmful to him?

http://i.imgur.com/rTfQ1.jpg

KingCam

Fascinating thread!

Wormwood

It might also have simply been the meat. Even raw meat, for human consumption often has various parasites from the cattle or other stock animal in them. It's why your never susposed to eat raw beef or pork. Feeding the raw meat directly to the animal, it could have entered the toad and took root there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information