Thread: Please help with my baby whites, somewhat of an emergency..

froqueen99

Exclamation Please help with my baby whites, somewhat of an emergency..

Yesterday when I was checking in on my frogs, I noticed something odd about my baby whites. She has a flap type thing protruding from her throat, and it feels cartilage-like. I have no idea what this is, and would really appreciate if someone could identify this for me. The flap looks like it attaches to her equivalent of her breastbone, and she is not able to use her front legs anymore. She still seems completely healthy (clear eyes, aware of surroundings, has not changed to a brown color..) except for the "flap" and the fact she cannot walk properly and therefore tries using her head. I am really worried about her, and am wondering if this could be a broken bone. I can post pictures and answer any questions if that helps...but as for calcium, I have dusted all the crickets I've given her with a calcium supplement and I do not know how she could have broken something.

She was fine the other day, and has been rapidly breathing since like she's in pain

pictures:

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  26.4 KBName:  004.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  30.9 KBName:  005.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  39.7 KBName:  010.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  44.2 KB what happens when she tries walking: Name:  011.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  58.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mrzoggs

Default Re: Please help with my baby whites, somewhat of an emergency..

im gonna need a picture. it could be that the particular frog you are talking about didnt morph correctly. Im not sure as to how old it is. there is a threat stickied at the top of the tree frog enclosure that says "trouble in the enclosure" fill out that list and post it back on here. also in the medications thread there is a email address for dr frye. you can send him an email and he is one of the most knowledgable people i know about frogs.

pictures, fill out sheet, email dr frye. we will go from there.

froqueen99

thank you for responding so quickly..

1-size of enclosure - 10 gallons
    2-# on inhabitants - specifically ( if there is another frog ---size differences ?) no
    3-humidity - 80%
    4-temp - low to high 80s, cooler at night
    5-water - type - for both misting and soaking dish - filtered tap
    6-materials used for substrate - coconut substrate before being moved to a temporary home with paper towels
    7-enclosure set up i.e. plants( live or artificial) wood, bark etc -how were things prepared prior to being put into the viv - fake plants, cleaned.. wood found at beach, baked
    8-main food source - crickets
    9-vitamins and calcium ? ( how often ) - a few times a week
    10-lighting - red bulb on cool nights.. no lighting during the day
    11-what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure red bulb on cool nights
    12-when is the last time he ate - last night (she is still eating thankfully)
    13-have you found poop lately - yes, but it was more liquid than solid
    14-a pic would be great ( including the frog ) any little cell phone pic is fine
    15- how old is the frog - not sure exactly but younger than a year
    16-how long have you owned him - since late april
    17- is the frog wild caught or captive bred - captive bred
    18- frog food- how often and if its diverse what other feeders are used as treats - crickets, occasionally dusted with calcium (not enough?) small mealworms and waxworms occasionally
    19- about how often the frog is handled - once or twice a week for "inspections"
    20-is the enclosure is kept in a high or low traffic area - low traffic

mrzoggs

2-# on inhabitants

how many frogs are in the tank? how old are the frogs. pictures would help. did you find dr fryes info? if not i will copy/paste it in here for you. i dont think you are supposed to use filtered tap. more like treated tap. i dont know because i dont use tap at all. i use spring water. liquid poop doesnt sound good. when mine was like that it was because it had hook worms. but i dont think that is the case here. others can answer more questions for you. i know with my red eyes humidity doesnt need to be that high. i dont know about whites though. a video of it walking doing what your talking about would also be very helpful

froqueen99

hi - there are no other inhabitants in the tank, and i updated my first post with pictures.

mrzoggs

is it hard or flappy? others will chime in and give some more answers. i was just trying to make sure you give all the information they will need. i have never owned this species. i would still send dr frye an email.

froqueen99

it is hard like it is a bone of some sort but it is flexible. when i touched it her breathing would become rapid again like it really hurt her. i don't know what to do...thank you so much for your help, it is much appreciated!! i joined this forum just to be able to ask you guys and didn't know to follow a format. so once again thanks! i will be sure to email dr frye.

mrzoggs

its no problem at all. im really sorry to hear about your frog. i wish i could be more of a help to you. dr drye is a very smart guy. with the information and pictures you have given me, he will be able to help you out greatly. you can also send fecals to him to get them checked for $18 plus shipping and he can give you medicine that you need to fix your frogs. he has been a blessing to many and it is amazing to have someone like him in the hobby who doesnt mind helping.

i wish you and your frog the best of luck and i will be keeping up with this thread so keep me posted..

Thread Information