Thread: Some Pacman Frog Questions

LizardMama

Default Some Pacman Frog Questions

Last year I had a Pacman Frog that lived all of 2 months (I was living with my father at the time and he cannot live without having the WHOLE house being in the 60's so that's how the frog died). Now that I'm living on my own and have closed all vents in one room (where my Tree Frogs are currently in) I would like to get another Pacman Frog. Before I do I'd like to know exactly how wet the soil should be and how much I should mist a day. Should the soil be wet-wet (as in clumpy) or muddy? I've done experiments on the tank that I'm going to put my new Pacman Frog in, is 82-84 degrees fine for the frog (I had one of my Tree Frogs in the tank at the time [[forgive me!!]] and he flourished while in there!), I have a humidity gauge in the tank which when I was running the experiment went from 50% to 80%, I'm working on making it stay in the 70%-80% (any advice on doing that?).

Thanks much!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

arielgasca420

Default Re: Some Pacman Frog Questions

I just have to clarify that you need to disinfect the cage before putting your pacman in since you had another frog previously in there.
    to answer your questions; the soil should be moist. If you squeeze the soil with your hand and water comes out than it is too wet.
    misting should depend on the humidity. I keep mine between 80-90%. never let it get below 70%.
    82-84 is fine but do not get above 85.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by arielgasca420 View Post
    I just have to clarify that you need to disinfect the cage before putting your pacman in since you had another frog previously in there.
    to answer your questions; the soil should be moist. If you squeeze the soil with your hand and water comes out than it is too wet.
    misting should depend on the humidity. I keep mine between 80-90%. never let it get below 70%.
    82-84 is fine but do not get above 85.
    If squeezed water should drip out, but not pour out if it. Otherwise it will begin to dry faster. Plus most of the water they absorb is from their substrate.

Rule of thumb is moist it heavily damp not mud.

Wizzlewuzzle

To keep your humidity up, you'll either need to go in there and mist several times a day, or you can buy this reptifogger contraption that griff has mentioned frequently in other threads.

Nationality
    [United States]

Also cover 3/4 of the screen top with Saran Wrap to hold heat and humidity in. 82° to 84° is too warm for a baby or juvenile. 80° to 82° is what you want for day time temps. 75° to 79° at night, but hover around 78°

A Reptifogger hooked up to a timer to kick it on and off throughout the day works great for humidity which should be 75% to 80%. 80% being the ideal level.

LizardMama

Okay I have the top cover half way already and I was already intending to clean and clean well the cage. How much is the reptifogger? Now about the cleaning, I clean my Tree Frogs cage completely once a month (spot clean daily), should I do the same with a Pacman Frog or do I need to completely change the cage once every 2 weeks (twice a month)?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by LizardMama View Post
    Okay I have the top cover half way already and I was already intending to clean and clean well the cage. How much is the reptifogger? Now about the cleaning, I clean my Tree Frogs cage completely once a month (spot clean daily), should I do the same with a Pacman Frog or do I need to completely change the cage once every 2 weeks (twice a month)?
    Zoo Med Reptifoggers are usually $60.00 at a pet store, but if I were you if look them up on Amazon.com for a better deal.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You can make a fogger for about $45 and this one hold over a gallon, so you dont have to refill it every other day. I made one and use it at my work, like grif said on a timer, and it works great and I only have to fill it every week and a half to two weeks. Here is the link to the video hope it helps
    How To Make Your Own Reptile Fogger!- Classy Herps - YouTube

LizardMama

Another question I want to ask is about wild caught locusts (grass hoppers). There are hundreds running/hopping around in my backyard, I catch them for my Tree Frogs (wild caught) and they eat them and are healthy. Would it be okay if I caught and gave one or two to the Pacman Frog I'm getting soon or would it be unsafe?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by LizardMama View Post
    Another question I want to ask is about wild caught locusts (grass hoppers). There are hundreds running/hopping around in my backyard, I catch them for my Tree Frogs (wild caught) and they eat them and are healthy. Would it be okay if I caught and gave one or two to the Pacman Frog I'm getting soon or would it be unsafe?
    Its best to stay away from wild caught food, but as long as they're caught in a chemical and fertilizer free area they should be fine, BUT there is the threat of parasites like pinworms and tapeworm. These are very good reasons to not use wild prey.

Thread Information