Thread: Pacman Frog Not Eating for 3 Weeks Now

Boggity

Unhappy Pacman Frog Not Eating for 3 Weeks Now

Hello, I am new to the boards and I'm having some concerns about my Albino Pacman frog. I've had him for about 6-7 months now and he normally does great. Eats lots of crickets and loves jumbo meal worms. But, for the last three weeks, he hasn't touched his food at all. He just isn't interested. He sits there and doesn't care about eating anything. Also, his skin has started to look very pale (though it doesn't appear to be hardening). He hasn't dropped any weight yet that I can tell, but I'm concerned about him.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some basic stats:

Type: Albino pacman frog
    Approximate age: 8 months to a year
    Approximate size: 2 inches
    Typical diet: Crickets or jump meal worms
    Housing: 10 gallon aquarium
    Substrate: Eco Earth with a layer of frog moss on top
    Temperature: 75-80 degrees F
    Humidity: Maintained around 75%
    Fake plant, water dish, under tank heater near one side of the cage (so that he can get away from it if he wants)

I have a second albino pacman frog in another cage under the EXACT same conditions and he is THRIVING! So what's up with this one?

Here are some pictures of what he's looking like lately:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	333hf28.jpg 
Views:	1842 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	35791

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nl48ox.jpg 
Views:	2223 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	35792

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman Frog Not Eating for 3 Weeks Now

Do you feed him on that moss? Moss if eats. can cause an impaction(severe constipation) which can lead to death. If I were you I would get rid of the moss in both frog's homes.

Meal worms are also notorious for intestinal blockages. The chitin their exoskeleton is made from cannot be digested so do not feed them to your frogs anymore.

Have you tried other foods??

Get his humidity up to 80% and his day temps 80° to 82°. Night time temps hover around 78°.

Go out and buy some UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE. Prepare a bath of Luke warm de-chlorinated water at a 10 to 1 ratio. So 10 ounces of water add 1 ounce UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE. Make sure water depth is no deeper than up to the frogs chin. Soak for 20 minutes and return the frog to its home.

Boggity

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Go out and buy some UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE. Prepare a bath of Luke warm de-chlorinated water at a 10 to 1 ratio. So 10 ounces of water add 1 ounce UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE. Make sure water depth is no deeper than up to the frogs chin. Soak for 20 minutes and return the frog to its home.
    Thanks for the suggestions. What does the Pedialyte bath do for him?

KingCam

Do you feed him on that moss? Moss if eats. can cause an impaction(severe constipation) which can lead to death. If I were you I would get rid of the moss in both frog's homes.

Meal worms are also notorious for intestinal blockages. The chitin their exoskeleton is made from cannot be digested so do not feed them to your frogs anymore.

Have you tried other foods??

Get his humidity up to 80% and his day temps 80° to 82°. Night time temps hover around 78°.

I'd like to commend you for continually giving out the same advice, time after time, and never seeming to get frustrated or irritated at the fact that these people who want help won't take 30 seconds to do a search on the forum before asking. There have got to be at least 1,000 posts on this forum about using pedialyte baths and 990 of them were probably typed by you.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    I'd like to commend you for continually giving out the same advice, time after time, and never seeming to get frustrated or irritated at the fact that these people who want help won't take 30 seconds to do a search on the forum before asking. There have got to be at least 1,000 posts on this forum about using pedialyte baths and 990 of them were probably typed by you.
    Thank you. I try to be patient with people.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Boggity View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. What does the Pedialyte bath do for him?
    The bath provides electrolytes and vitamins. Helps with hydration and gives them a boost.

Boggity

Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    I apologize if you find my post irritating. I am new to the forums and was concerned about my pet.

Nationality
    [United States]

I apologize if you find my post irritating. I am new to the forums and was concerned about my pet.
    Boggity don't take offense. If you read through the posts in this section of the forum you will see what Cam is talking about. He means no harm.

Boggity

Boggity don't take offense. If you read through the posts in this section of the forum you will see what Cam is talking about. He means no harm.
    I want to apologize if my post sounded ignorant or something. I didn't mean to "not search" and just jump right into it. You have to understand, I was extremely concerned about my frog and I've found that, despite searching, each and every "froggy emergency" seems to be slightly unique in itself, which is why I wanted to post my specific situation. I thank you for your advise. I have removed and thrown out all of the frog moss from my cages and I've ordered the pedialyte.

Nationality
    [United States]

I want to apologize if my post sounded ignorant or something. I didn't mean to "not search" and just jump right into it. You have to understand, I was extremely concerned about my frog and I've found that, despite searching, each and every "froggy emergency" seems to be slightly unique in itself, which is why I wanted to post my specific situation. I thank you for your advise. I have removed and thrown out all of the frog moss from my cages and I've ordered the pedialyte.
    You wouldn't have to order it. You can actually go to the store and its usually in the baby isle or seperate children's medicine section. It should be clear and say unflavored on the bottle.

Boggity

You wouldn't have to order it. You can actually go to the store and its usually in the baby isle or seperate children's medicine section. It should be clear and say unflavored on the bottle.
    Alright. What do I do about him not eating? As I stated, its been 3 weeks. Do I leave him alone and try to feed him once or twice a week? Like I said, he's looking kind of pale and his eyes are only half open all the time, however, his skin has not hardened and he's not dropping any significant amount of weight.

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright. What do I do about him not eating? As I stated, its been 3 weeks. Do I leave him alone and try to feed him once or twice a week? Like I said, he's looking kind of pale and his eyes are only half open all the time, however, his skin has not hardened and he's not dropping any significant amount of weight.
    Force feed him. If you offer him food after the bath and he does not eat you will need to force feed him.

Nationality
    [United States]

If you have to force-feed, try nightcrawlers. They digest better than crickets and are easier on the frog after an impaction. The kind you can find in your wal-mart bait section are fine to use, jut check and make sure you don't grab a box full of dead ones! Plus, once it gets the end of the worm in its mouth, it'll usually keep eating so it's less stressful than force-feeding multiple insects.

Thread Information