Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My poor little albino

Nationality
    [United States]

Default My poor little albino

This little one came from a pet store about 3 weeks ago. First, it didn't eat for several days. Now, it looks like it could be impacted and I don't think it's eaten for the past day or two. It's currently soaking in lukewarm water with a bit of honey added and I will leave it in there for around 20 minutes. I've gently massaged the left side where the mass is. How often can I repeat this if it doesn't poop?

Name:  psalbino072512a.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  120.6 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My poor little albino

Quote Originally Posted by emandkel View Post
    This little one came from a pet store about 3 weeks ago. First, it didn't eat for several days. Now, it looks like it could be impacted and I don't think it's eaten for the past day or two. It's currently soaking in lukewarm water with a bit of honey added and I will leave it in there for around 20 minutes. I've gently massaged the left side where the mass is. How often can I repeat this if it doesn't poop?

Name:  psalbino072512a.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  120.6 KB
    What were you feeding it? Also most blockages are on the right side where their intestines are. If its blocked in the actual stomach it could be worse. Pick up some Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) and give the frog one dose according to weight and continue the soaks. water level should be up to the frogs chin or just below it. Best to pour some of the bath over the frogs back too and on its vent.

Keep us posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

It's been eating small crickets -- not tong-fed, but catching crickets in it's enclosure (substrate coco earth, humidity 80%, temp around 80 degrees). The lump is on it's left side and it definitely seems to want to poop but there's no output yet.

I'll go get some Repti-Aid now, thankfully there are 2 pet stores within a few miles of my home and I think I've seen it at the closer pet store.

Nationality
    [United States]

It's been eating small crickets -- not tong-fed, but catching crickets in it's enclosure (substrate coco earth, humidity 80%, temp around 80 degrees). The lump is on it's left side and it definitely seems to want to poop but there's no output yet.

I'll go get some Repti-Aid now, thankfully there are 2 pet stores within a few miles of my home and I think I've seen it at the closer pet store.
    Repeat the soaks as necessary. Every night to every other night. Also when you place him back home make sure you have Luke warm water in his water dish as well and place him in it and leave him be. Do this after each soak out of his home.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you. I got some Repta Boost and gave it to him, not sure how much he got as it mostly got all over my hand. The little guy opened up his mouth easily enough. He weighed in at 20 grams. Hopefully the little guy will pull through this.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you. I got some Repta Boost and gave it to him, not sure how much he got as it mostly got all over my hand. The little guy opened up his mouth easily enough. He weighed in at 20 grams. Hopefully the little guy will pull through this.
    Do everything advised. Check on him daily and keep up the soaks. A vet may be needed if it appears to get worse.

Nationality
    [United States]

I found a big poop this morning!

Jumbo

NEVER thought I'd congratulate a Bowel movement, well ok at least not till my 80's, but HEY congrats! thing's looking better?

Nationality
    [United States]

Yay!

Perhaps get some earth worms or night crawlers to feed for a bit. They tend to pass easily. My female pac had this problem so I switched her to mostly cut-up night crawlers (tong fed) with an occasional cricket or newly shed, soft dubia and she's been fine ever since.

Great job!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks, all. I don't know if he's out of the woods yet, but I was glad to see that poop. I think some of the crickets had disappeared last night, too. When he's eaten for a couple of days I'll feel better about it. I will continue to monitor him.

The pet stores around me seem to be out of stock on nightcrawlers any time I check, and the two times I tried to order from an online source, the first time they died within 48 hours and the other time they all arrived DOA. The only earthworms I can find are red wrigglers which aren't good because of the distasteful secretion.

Most of mine will not tong feed, including the albino above. I've tried all the "tricks" that have been listed. They will readily eat a cricket once on the substrate -- some will hunt them down, others wait until the cricket is right within striking distance. But I will keep trying to get them used to the tongs.

arielgasca420

I get my nightcrawlers from Walmart. make sure you get the kind that are unscented. the container should smell earthy when you open it up

Nationality
    [United States]

It looks like the nightcrawlers are going to have to wait until cooler weather arrives. What I've been told is some suppliers aren't even shipping them right now because the worms can't take the heat and die during transit.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well, mixed news tonight. I took him out for another soak as he still seems a bit lopsided but no apparent lumpy areas -- was more active during the soak, wanting out, so only did it for a few minutes before putting him back in his home. He sat in the water bowl for a little bit (with fresh water) then I tried to tong feed him a small cricket -- after a lot of teasing, he ate it. Less than a minute later, he was straining to poop, and was doing that every little bit for about 10 - 15 minutes. Not sure what's up with that? Now it's back in it's usual corner and I don't see any poop. Here a picture from tonight -- this one was taken without a flash but turned out pretty well.

Name:  psalbino072712a.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  83.5 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Well, mixed news tonight. I took him out for another soak as he still seems a bit lopsided but no apparent lumpy areas -- was more active during the soak, wanting out, so only did it for a few minutes before putting him back in his home. He sat in the water bowl for a little bit (with fresh water) then I tried to tong feed him a small cricket -- after a lot of teasing, he ate it. Less than a minute later, he was straining to poop, and was doing that every little bit for about 10 - 15 minutes. Not sure what's up with that? Now it's back in it's usual corner and I don't see any poop. Here a picture from tonight -- this one was taken without a flash but turned out pretty well.

Mine recently had a pretty bad impaction. She stayed sort of bloated for a day or so after it passed. I think that happens when it stays in their system too long. Soaking seemed to help it go down quicker.

Nationality
    [United States]

They will strain a little when moving more poop down their bowels. He probably has more inside that he's working back. Just keep an eye on him and make sure all is well. Don't offer anymore food for a day to see if anymore passes. If he begins to swell up and has a hard spot shown them there is still a blockage.

Nationality
    [United States]

This little one continues to have issues with passing poop. Tonight I saw it with it's anus stuffed full of coco fiber / poop just sitting there, not straining but looked bloated. Gave it a soak but no outputand no straining. Until it learns to tong feed reliably, should I change the substrate to (wet) paper towels?

Nationality
    [United States]

This little one continues to have issues with passing poop. Tonight I saw it with it's anus stuffed full of coco fiber / poop just sitting there, not straining but looked bloated. Gave it a soak but no outputand no straining. Until it learns to tong feed reliably, should I change the substrate to (wet) paper towels?
    You might want to or just take the frog out and place it in a container with moist paper towels to feed and then place it back home once it has eaten.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm afraid this little frog looks like it needs a vet visit. It is VERY bloated. I'm very worried about it. Hopefully, it will poop tonight and will be ok in the morning, but if not, I'm going to have to find a vet that will see it -- a few obstacles to overcome here to even get to a vet includes getting off of work, which may or may not be ok as the department I work in is already short a few people.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm afraid this little frog looks like it needs a vet visit. It is VERY bloated. I'm very worried about it. Hopefully, it will poop tonight and will be ok in the morning, but if not, I'm going to have to find a vet that will see it -- a few obstacles to overcome here to even get to a vet includes getting off of work, which may or may not be ok as the department I work in is already short a few people.
    All the bloating could be caused by impaction, internal bacterial infection, or Toxing out syndrome. A vet is probably your best shot. Do not feed it anymore until you figure out exactly what is wrong.

Ivan M

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    You might want to or just take the frog out and place it in a container with moist paper towels to feed and then place it back home once it has eaten.
    This is what i do to all 4 of mine, a little work but gives me peace of mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information