Thread: Help! Sick American toad!

Lutrani

Default Help! Sick American toad!

Hi everyone,

I've come to this forum out of desperation to help my America toad.

It all started with a slight loss of balance when hopping, but since nothing else developed for a while I thought it was just my imagination. Then very rapidly she started having trouble holding her body up (she kind of crawls around on her stomach) and her head seems to be stuck pointing down. She's still interested in crickets, but doesn't seem to be able to coordinate her tongue to catch them. She can still open her mouth and move her tongue so I know it's not a problem with that, but when I give her a cricket (I usually hand feed her anyway) she just moves her head as if trying to extend her tongue, but fails.

Name:  DSCN1910.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  104.1 KBName:  DSCN1908.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  74.2 KB

I've had her for two years now and keep her in a large 120 gallon aquarium with live plants and a great plains toad. She's fed crickets fed carrots and oranges, and large night crawlers as a treat. I've been using the repti-cal calcium with vitamin D powder. My other toad, a large female great plains toad of unknown (but definitely adult) age has none of these problems. Actually I've had to move the American toad to another aquarium for now, as the great plains toad kept eating all the crickets I was trying to give to the American toad!

Please, any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. All the small animal vets in my area who I've taken reptiles to in the past apparently have no clue what to do with amphibians.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

kurper

Default Re: Help! Sick American toad!

That problem reminds me of this syndrome.
    Short Tongue Syndrome
    I don't know if it is the case with your toad though.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That is heartbreaking and I wish I had an answer but do not. Please keep this thread updated as to her condition. Is there any discoloration on her? I found this link on disorders and diseases, hope it's not to late for her.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Lutrani

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your help. Turns out it was a vitamin A deficiency! I was able to force feed her a cricket dusted with some new vitamin powder chock full of vitamin A, and she recovered overnight! She's still a little bit shaky when jumping, but other than that she's back to normal. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Nationality
    [United States]

WOOOHOOOOO. So relieved she is doing better. I lost my Rosie (Fowler's toad) earlier this summer because she was egg bound and know how sad it can be. Toads are my favorite amphibians, true toads that is.

Lutrani

Thank you for the kind words Gail, and I'm sorry for your loss. Actually I'm surprised to hear that amphibians can become egg bound, I always thought that problem was restricted to reptiles. I'm very glad I've heard this from you though, as all my toads are female and I can now look out for this problem if it occurs in the future. And yeah, true toads are awesome . I live in Canada and we only have the American toad, but I'd love to live in a place with many different wild toads. I went on a trip to Arizona recently and couldn't believe the number of species we found in the wild.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's great! I'm glad she's doing well .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Dmcrist

Hey, just letting you know that you shouldn't feed carrots and oranges to toads. Stay away from fruits and vegetables in general. Just "gut load" the creatures that you feed to your toads and/or dust them with a vitamin powder. Toads are carnivorous and will have issues digesting fruits and vegetables (most likely due to the fiber content).

Nationality
    [United States]

I think post #1 means the crickets are given carrots and oranges. I don't think you could even force feed a toad that, they would spit it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmcrist View Post
    Hey, just letting you know that you shouldn't feed carrots and oranges to toads. Stay away from fruits and vegetables in general. Just "gut load" the creatures that you feed to your toads and/or dust them with a vitamin powder. Toads are carnivorous and will have issues digesting fruits and vegetables (most likely due to the fiber content).

Dmcrist

Sorry, it was sort of confusing!

Thread Information