Thread: Feeding Gray Tree Frogs

ndame88

Default Feeding Gray Tree Frogs

I swear my grays almost beg for food every night, at 7pm they all come down from the the leaves sit and wait. I am sure they would eat every night if I fed them, so do I keep it at every other or give in to the begging.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That's so cute .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Feeding Gray Tree Frogs

Quote Originally Posted by ndame88 View Post
    I swear my grays almost beg for food every night, at 7pm they all come down from the the leaves sit and wait. I am sure they would eat every night if I fed them, so do I keep it at every other or give in to the begging.
    Hi Jeff,
    This is a great question.
    I don't keep grays.
    But, I think I would feed them.

Do we think they eat "every other night" in the wild. Doubt it ! Right !

Do you know any breeders you could speak to?
    You could search for current breeding projects that might be going on. ( zoos and universities)
    Hopefully, some gray owners will chime in.

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

KingCam

I feed my greys every night. They have fast metabolisms and won't get fat unless you overfeed them on a regular basis. 1 or 2 small/medium food items per frog per night is sufficient. If you notice they are getting fat just lower quantity. In the (semi) wild grey tree frogs seek out porch lights, street lights, etc in order to hunt bugs. If you watch one of these little fellas they will capture and eat several moths and other night time insects every single night. Which brings me to my next point, during the summer you should catch moths for them to eat a few times a week, they go crazy for them! (Plus it's funny to see their moth-dust covered lips when they're done)

Nationality
    [United States]

Really it is up to you how often you feed them. I usually feed my guys every night, but I tend to overfeed; which I know isn't a good thing - however I've cut back on how often I feed them since one is so fat! So, I feed every other night or every two days. One seems to have more of an appetite then the other.

ndame88

Thanks all for the replies, I have been mixing up their food, they love the small butterflies as well.

Pluke

I think that Grey's love eating, the ones I have around my house come to my porch light's and eat probably 6 days a week.. if not every day. I can't be positive it's the same ones, but they're the same size and usually have their own spots where they sit, heh. They're pretty healthy and some are quite plump. I used to have a HUGE one that would come by, but I haven't seen him in a while.

SparkyTucker69

My Grey was a huge glutton! He would do the same thing! But I fed him every night.

LizardMama

I have 4 Gray Tree Frogs (and a Barking Tree Frog), I feed 1 day, skip the next then feed the day after and I have very healthy, fat and happy frogs. Throw in enough crickets that you believe would last 2 days (say you have 3, give 10 that'll last 2 days: 2 crickets per frog is good for a night feeding).

kmichael55

Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    I feed my greys every night. They have fast metabolisms and won't get fat unless you overfeed them on a regular basis. 1 or 2 small/medium food items per frog per night is sufficient. If you notice they are getting fat just lower quantity. In the (semi) wild grey tree frogs seek out porch lights, street lights, etc in order to hunt bugs. If you watch one of these little fellas they will capture and eat several moths and other night time insects every single night. Which brings me to my next point, during the summer you should catch moths for them to eat a few times a week, they go crazy for them! (Plus it's funny to see their moth-dust covered lips when they're done)

How do you catch them?? I mean I'm sure I can, just wondering if you have a trap or easier method

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by kmichael55 View Post
    How do you catch them?? I mean I'm sure I can, just wondering if you have a trap or easier method
    If you just leave your porch light on and wait for them to land on the wall they are usually pretty easy to grab. If you hang a white sheet in you back yard and shine a spot light on it you'll get like 100 times more flyign insects than you would on your porch. It's insane. You can also trap some of the moths by putting a bucket of water below your light. When they fall in they can't get out, but if you leave them in there too long they will drown, so check the water frequently.

kmichael55

Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    If you just leave your porch light on and wait for them to land on the wall they are usually pretty easy to grab. If you hang a white sheet in you back yard and shine a spot light on it you'll get like 100 times more flyign insects than you would on your porch. It's insane. You can also trap some of the moths by putting a bucket of water below your light. When they fall in they can't get out, but if you leave them in there too long they will drown, so check the water frequently.
    Thanks! That's why I come on here, I hadn't thought of moths for her before (duh) She's loving them!

Rae

I have had 2 Greys for awhile now and just got a third last night XD. But anyways I feed then usually 2 crickets a night, but have on occasion skipped a night being away, or ran out and didn't realize (never more than one night) and make up for it with 3 the following night. I also watch there weight carefully as Frodo often looks fat and Sam is more slender.

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by kmichael55 View Post
    Thanks! That's why I come on here, I hadn't thought of moths for her before (duh) She's loving them!
    :P They go crazy for moths! It's fun, haha

Thread Information