Thread: I think I have to euthanize my frog :(

0h hey

Unhappy I think I have to euthanize my frog :(

Sorry to add to the somber mood here..
    I was out yesterday and when I came home I found my male ACF upside down in his tank. It was a complete shock because he had no symptoms of any illness. I got the net and fished him out and realized he was still alive when he started moving. I quickly brought him to the surface so he could breathe and he took some gulps of air. Upon moving him to a small quarantine tank I realized he can't move his back legs. I don't know if he broke his back or had a stroke.. I feel so sad for him, his little legs just flop. He's in the quarantine tank with shallow water so he can breathe. He's been shedding and eating his shed, but I can't keep him in there forever. He's pretty lethargic. He's one of the dyed albinos (got him before I realized it was not humane) and he's always been a little "off." He would swim back and forth and bump into the tank walls sometimes and he always appeared to have barrel chest but I feed him a varied diet of pellets with occasional blood worms. I wonder if it was a deformity? It looks like his sternum just kinda sticks out. Maybe it was a growth that got to the point where it's compressing a nerve? My other frog is fine, I checked the water that same day and it was good, no ammonia just a tiny bit of nitrates (water is due for a change)..
    So anyways I hate to say it but I think I will have to put him down soon. Is the freezer the best way? I really don't want to do it but I don't want him to just sit in that shallow water and wait for death..
    Any advice?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

arielgasca420

Default Re: I think I have to euthanize my frog :(

freezer is considered inhumane because it can take hours. Some may suggest gassing him like they do with mice at a pet store. It only takes a few minutes for the animal to pass. I am so sorry to hear about your frog. death is never easy no matter how many times it happens. my deepest empathy.

0h hey

Well his condition is slowly deteriorating.. I'm not quite sure how to go about gassing a frog. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Nationality
    [United States]

Maybe call a vet and ask. I'm not sure personally.. I've read using orajel would be humane.. again call a vet maybe they can give better advice.

CaliValiN8v

I hope you called the vet ... I'm sorry

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I read you can do this with a jar and a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol?
    PLEASE have someone confirm this before you try it!!! This is just something I've read somewhere else online in case I would ever need to... God forbid.

SkeletalFrog

Here's a detailed post I wrote on the topic, posted here a short while ago:

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...tml#post124199

0h hey

Thanks everyone! I did not euthanize poor Astro. I kept him in a small separate tank and kept his water fresh and helped peel back his sheds off his legs (he couldn't remove them himself) until he passed. He was basically in hospice but without the drugs. I will look at the post about euthanization so I am better prepared in case I come into this situation again.
    Thanks again. I hope Astro's short little life was at least sweet.

Thread Information