Thread: Feeding Questions, plus more

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    TeeRiddle

Default Feeding Questions, plus more

Hi guys,

I've had my pac (Orion) for a little over a week and have a few questions.

I'm not really happy with the way Orion has been eating, or not eating to be more precise. I have only seen him actually eat twice since I've had him (since July, 13th). Once was a cricket and the other time was a red wiggler. I toss three or four crickets in the tank right after I put him to "bed". When I get up the next morning, no crickets. I've looked in hiding spots and behind the foam background, but the crickets appear to be gone. Problem is I don't know if they are excellent hiders or if Orion is gobbling them up during the night.

The previous pac I had would grab anything you stuck in front of him. Not this guy. I have tried several times (at least 2x a day) to tong feed him night crawlers, roaches, horned worms, etc and he doesn't seem interested. I've tried just dropping it in front of him, but the worms begin burrowing, or the roaches run off and hide without Orion even attempting to lunge at it.

Orion seems to get spooked very easily. Any time I reach in with a food item dangling via the tongs he just hunches down no matter how much I try to sneak up on him.

On a positive note he did poop last Friday night and it was a healthy looking poo, so that made me feel a little better.

So, here are my questions:

1) What can I do to induce a better appetite (never thought I'd ask that about a Pac)?

2) How long does it take for them to generally settle in?

3) Should I continue to try to tong feed him?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Just some FYI:

Daytime temps - 80 - 84°F
    Nighttime temps - 75 - 78°F
    Humidity - 70 - 82%
    Substrate - Eco Earth
    Terrarium - 12x12x12 Exo Terra

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding Questions, plus more

Quote Originally Posted by TeeRiddle View Post
    Hi guys,

I've had my pac (Orion) for a little over a week and have a few questions.

I'm not really happy with the way Orion has been eating, or not eating to be more precise. I have only seen him actually eat twice since I've had him (since July, 13th). Once was a cricket and the other time was a red wiggler. I toss three or four crickets in the tank right after I put him to "bed". When I get up the next morning, no crickets. I've looked in hiding spots and behind the foam background, but the crickets appear to be gone. Problem is I don't know if they are excellent hiders or if Orion is gobbling them up during the night.

The previous pac I had would grab anything you stuck in front of him. Not this guy. I have tried several times (at least 2x a day) to tong feed him night crawlers, roaches, horned worms, etc and he doesn't seem interested. I've tried just dropping it in front of him, but the worms begin burrowing, or the roaches run off and hide without Orion even attempting to lunge at it.

Orion seems to get spooked very easily. Any time I reach in with a food item dangling via the tongs he just hunches down no matter how much I try to sneak up on him.

On a positive note he did poop last Friday night and it was a healthy looking poo, so that made me feel a little better.

So, here are my questions:

1) What can I do to induce a better appetite (never thought I'd ask that about a Pac)?

2) How long does it take for them to generally settle in?

3) Should I continue to try to tong feed him?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Just some FYI:

Daytime temps - 80 - 84°F
    Nighttime temps - 75 - 78°F
    Humidity - 70 - 82%
    Substrate - Eco Earth
    Terrarium - 12x12x12 Exo Terra
    First I'll start off by saying that of all Pacman Frogs are the same and so not all eat the same. You must be patient. They take anywhere from an hour to a week to adjust to new surroundings. the frog must also get used to you.

When you offer crickets by releasing them into the enclosure drop them in the enclosure with the tongs. do it so that your frog sees them be g dropped by the tongs. Eventually the frog will get the connection.

Just be patient and let the frog adjust.

TeeRiddle

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    First I'll start off by saying that of all Pacman Frogs are the same and so not all eat the same. You must be patient. They take anywhere from an hour to a week to adjust to new surroundings. the frog must also get used to you.

When you offer crickets by releasing them into the enclosure drop them in the enclosure with the tongs. do it so that your frog sees them be g dropped by the tongs. Eventually the frog will get the connection.

Just be patient and let the frog adjust.

Ahhh... patience. Can you tell I don't have much? haha

My biggest concern is that he adjusts well, is stressed as little as possible, and of course eats.

I did what you recommended this evening (just a few minutes ago) by dropping the crickets in with the tongs in front of him. I was worried that the crickets would run over top of him and freak him out a bit, but they didn't. I decided to observe him for awhile to see if he went after any feeders. He snapped up four in about 10 minutes. So that's a very good sign that he is indeed eating.

He seems to be more of a "wait until they get to me" kind of guy. I know it's their nature to wait for something to crawl by and snatch it. Seems like once I close the terrarium up and he's "alone" he eats just fine.

I do want him to have a varied diet and not just crickets. It's something I'll have to be a bit more patient with and continue to work on it.

Thanks for all your help, Grif. It's very appreciated!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

My biggest concern is that he adjusts well, is stressed as little as possible, and of course eats.

I did what you recommended this evening (just a few minutes ago) by dropping the crickets in with the tongs in front of him. I was worried that the crickets would run over top of him and freak him out a bit, but they didn't. I decided to observe him for awhile to see if he went after any feeders. He snapped up four in about 10 minutes. So that's a very good sign that he is indeed eating.

He seems to be more of a "wait until they get to me" kind of guy. I know it's their nature to wait for something to crawl by and snatch it. Seems like once I close the terrarium up and he's "alone" he eats just fine.

I do want him to have a varied diet and not just crickets. It's something I'll have to be a bit more patient with and continue to work on it.

You're very welcome.

Namio

Some frogs can be very skittish so it's likely that you've "scared" your pacman with the noise of opening the lid and your presence. You mentioned Orion hunching down when spooked, and that's a very typical hiding stance for a frightened frog. As soon as it does that Orion probably has lost its appetite.

When it comes to feeding shy frogs I would minimize my "presence" and try to be as ninja like as possible, open the lid silently and swiftly. Most pacman frogs, let them be comfortable and given enough time, will starting to eat without problems.

TeeRiddle

Quote Originally Posted by Namio View Post
    Some frogs can be very skittish so it's likely that you've "scared" your pacman with the noise of opening the lid and your presence. You mentioned Orion hunching down when spooked, and that's a very typical hiding stance for a frightened frog. As soon as it does that Orion probably has lost its appetite.

When it comes to feeding shy frogs I would minimize my "presence" and try to be as ninja like as possible, open the lid silently and swiftly. Most pacman frogs, let them be comfortable and given enough time, will starting to eat without problems.
    Hi Namio!

Thanks for your reply. You are right about the hunching down. Seems like when I offer food via tongs he becomes afraid, but if I just drop a couple feeders in and shut the terrarium he gobbles them up.

I think its just going to take a little time for us to get used to one another

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information