Thread: Painted Turtle Ques.

emfroggy

Question Painted Turtle Ques.

Hello last night me,my brother,and his girlfriend went to my uncles house and they have a big pond on their property so we went to go get frogs and we also caught a painted turtle. Right now he is in a ten gallon tank but we found out it is too small for him.So we are wondering how big of a tank he needs. We are thinking a 20 gallon long will work.Do you guys think it will work? The turtle is only about 7inches maybe a little bigger. Im not good with measurements but I think that's what my brother said he was. Also what all do we need in the tank. We know that he needs water,a rock to sit on,a screen lid,and some fake plants. We also think he needs a UVB light bulbs. Is that true? Also does he need a heater with the UVB light bulb? Last if you think we need anything else please comment here soon because the pet store opens here soon and we will be going when my brother and his girlfriend are ready. Thanks. I'll also have pictures of him up here soon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

newbiefrogger12

He will need a 75 gallon tank now(the rule is 10 gallons for every inch of shell ie. 5 inches 50 gallons of water space). I suggest getting him some reptomin for food. Yes he does need a uvb and also a heat. He needs a basking spot. He also needs a filter but tuetles need a filter for double the tank size so he will need a filter for 150 gallons. The water shuld be like 75 degrees so a heater is reccomended. If you cannot get all this I suggest letting him go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emfroggy

Default Re: Painted Turtle Ques.

Yea thanks for the info and I was off about the size he is only about 5 inches. Also we just finished setting up his new tank we got him a 20 gallon long, a floating turtle dock,a screen top and a starter kit. In the kit there was two lamps,a filter,some food,a thermostat for in the tank,a sticker thermostat for outside the tank. Right now we only got a basking light bulb for the side with the turtle dock. so we are only using one lamp. Also when we put the water in we used warm water and the sticker says it's about 75 degrees.

newbiefrogger12

Are you going to get him a bigger tank because a 20l is very smalll. You need to to get him a uvb asap

emfroggy

well we did look at a uvb bulb but it was $18.99 for a stinkin light bulb!!!!!so we will have to wait for it to go on sale.Also we just don't have the money or the room for a bigger tank and he seems to be very calm in this tank anyways. It's ether the ten gallon or the 20 gallon tank!

newbiefrogger12

You need to replace that bulb every 6 months because they stop producing uvb. But you are going to need a bigger tank soon or i suggest putting him back where you found him

Schimpf

I agree with everything said here.

You need (MUST, NOW) get him a UVB and heat lamp set up. The UVB helps them to eat and grow, without one you will get a sick turtle in a matter of weeks to months. A 20 gallon is NOT big enough for a turtle that size, 50+ is a better idea even a 40 is better than a 20. If you can not find one I would suggest a large tote bin until you can. How much water are you giving it? 2 X shell length is what I always recommend. With his floating dock make sure it is completely out of the water. If not it can get shell issues.

I agree that if you can not provide these min requirements that you should give it up. Providing less will cause health issues.

Merlin my Yellow Belly Slider has a 100 gallons and he only needs a 75. He has two UVB lamps and a UVA/basking lamp. I always provide the best for all my pets and hope others will to. Its not hard to make room, I have huge home made guinea pig cages that take up most of my living room wall, but its best for them so they have it.

I hope I have helped and aren't coming off as a cranky woman.

arielgasca420

Quote Originally Posted by emfroggy View Post
    well we did look at a uvb bulb but it was $18.99 for a stinkin light bulb!!!!!so we will have to wait for it to go on sale.Also we just don't have the money or the room for a bigger tank and he seems to be very calm in this tank anyways. It's ether the ten gallon or the 20 gallon tank!
    $18.99 is pretty standard for these types of bulbs.
    the worst thing a new pet owner could say is "We dont have the money or the room"
    hopefully your lust to obtain this animal isnt more than the passion of its well being.
    I would give it back to your uncle and visit the turtle.

emfroggy

well my parent's said we just don't have the room or the money so don't yell at me. Also it was my brother and his girlfriend who wanted the turtle in the first place. I just said I will like to keep it at our house. So I guess I can show them your post and see what they say. Also I love animals it's just my parent's who I guess don't. I do all the research I can and try to talk to my parents about trying to get the stuff I need because I'm just 14 years old and I have autism. So I don't have a job or do chores. Also my parents won't let me do like a car wash to get money or do like summer jobs around the subdivision. I hope you guys understand how I feel.

arielgasca420

reptiles is not for the young and unemployed unless your parents are willing to fund your interest (which is sounds like they do not). #1 the vet bills are expensive #2 the labor and lifespan needs a lot of dedication (20+ years)
    I have spent over $900 in the past year and a half on reptiles alone so let your brother know that the initial start up cost will cost him a few hundred dollars if he is lucky.
    a mammal would be a better pet in your situation since they only need food, water, and have a short lifespan. maybe a cat or guinea pig?
    We do not mean to "yell" at you but when someone says "I dont have the money or room for the pet I just brought home" then we see that as a death wish for the animal. no turtle can live comfortably in a 20 gallon tank with no lighting. It may live 6 months at the most in that condition.
    p.s. it seems like you already have a frog (from your avatar picture). I would stick to the frog for now until you get a part time job. I started working when I was 14. I have tourettes so it is hard to function in a social environment, but I pulled through it. you will too.

Schimpf

Quote Originally Posted by arielgasca420 View Post
    reptiles is not for the young and unemployed unless your parents are willing to fund your interest (which is sounds like they do not). #1 the vet bills are expensive #2 the labor and lifespan needs a lot of dedication (20+ years)
    I have spent over $900 in the past year and a half on reptiles alone so let your brother know that the initial start up cost will cost him a few hundred dollars if he is lucky.
    a mammal would be a better pet in your situation since they only need food, water, and have a short lifespan. maybe a cat or guinea pig?
    We do not mean to "yell" at you but when someone says "I dont have the money or room for the pet I just brought home" then we see that as a death wish for the animal. no turtle can live comfortably in a 20 gallon tank with no lighting. It may live 6 months at the most in that condition.
    p.s. it seems like you already have a frog (from your avatar picture). I would stick to the frog for now until you get a part time job. I started working when I was 14. I have tourettes so it is hard to function in a social environment, but I pulled through it. you will too.
    I totally agree with 90% of this.

The only thing I do not agree with is the mammal comment. I have spent over $1000 in the last 4 months on two guinea pigs and vet care. Another 600 in the last year with my cat (shots and neutering), so mammals aren't always cheaper . I would agree and say stick with what yah have. I always get the pet itch every 6 months and adopt a new pet. But I have worked on that and have not adopted any new pets in a year. I've lost old pets to age since then and will be finally getting some toads this weekend.

I wanted to comment on your age and autism. Don't let either of those stop you. You seem like a smart kid, your letting labels of age and other statuses tell you who you are. Your much better than that

arielgasca420

I am sorry you have had such bad luck. Ive had my cat for 13 years and only spent minimal money on food and litter. My guinea pig is very healthy but i always worry about one day having to take him to an exotic vet.
    I agree that labeling hinders one. I got teased throughout school but i never let it constitute what i can and cant do. At 14 i was making more money than anyone else in my classes.
    I had autistic friends Througout my life. One was your age and was accepted into a University with a full scolarship. The other got a grant to an art school at your age. Work hard with reptiles and you can get a scholarship in herpetology.

Schimpf

Quote Originally Posted by arielgasca420 View Post
    I am sorry you have had such bad luck. Ive had my cat for 13 years and only spent minimal money on food and litter. My guinea pig is very healthy but i always worry about one day having to take him to an exotic vet.
    Bad luck is right! LOL Two guinea pig abscesses, 5 total surgeries and many rounds of meds. Spook is pretty good, just the neuter costing me an arm and a leg, if I had adopted from the SPCA instead of a private adoption it would have been better I think.

emfroggy

Thanks guys for all the support. I think we will be letting the painted turtle go anyways because it just poop's to much and we only have a small filter that came in a starter kit and he keeps clogging it up with all his poop. So I hope we let it go here soon for the sake of the animal. Also Schimpf your cat sounds like me. I had a bunch of surgery's all my life. Just recently I had eye surgery and I had eye surgery before this one. I also had pilonidal cyst surgery. I also had a lot of surgery's when I was young.

arielgasca420

I feel your pain on the surgeries. I had the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck and three surgeries before the age of four. I had adenoids shaved, tubes put in my ears, and a double hernia.
    I think you are doing the right thing by giving the turtle back to your uncle. turtles are hard to take care of which is why I always favored tortoises more, but since you live in michigan maybe a tortoise would also be tough to care with your weather. here in Sacramento, CA the coldest weather we get is one day of hail.

emfroggy

Yea well maybe this weekend we will go back to my uncles and let him go back in the pond and next year get a 2 inch baby one so he fits in the tank and maybe doesn't poop as much. A two inch one will fit in a 20 gallon long right? or we might just get a frog or something else that will fit and is easy to take care of. Well I hope we let him go soon. We will have to let him go before the first week of August because we are traveling to our cabin in the Upper Peninsula. So when we go I won't be on for a week because we have no internet up there which sucks!

newbiefrogger12

You shuldent let being a kid stop you from taking care of it. I am 13 and I spent just about a 1000 In the last 6 months just on my 2 turtles let alone my tortise and my fish tanks. My parents said we dident have the space but I went ahead sold my stuff to get money and space for them. I have no job but I put my animals ahead of me and mowed lawns and fixed lawn mowers to get the money. So put the animal ahead of you and do whats right for it.

Froggiefressh

Quote Originally Posted by emfroggy View Post
    Yea well maybe this weekend we will go back to my uncles and let him go back in the pond and next year get a 2 inch baby one so he fits in the tank and maybe doesn't poop as much. A two inch one will fit in a 20 gallon long right? or we might just get a frog or something else that will fit and is easy to take care of. Well I hope we let him go soon. We will have to let him go before the first week of August because we are traveling to our cabin in the Upper Peninsula. So when we go I won't be on for a week because we have no internet up there which sucks!
    Where do you live in Michigan? I live in Lincoln Park its just outside of Detroit(ew) The UP is such a beautiful place! You are very lucky to have a cabin up there. I've caught eight turtles this year a new record for me, but I always let them go. Biggest one was atleast a 30 pound snapper He was a monster. Its always important to let wild animals go, I feel even with other predators the turtle will have a long healthy life.

emfroggy

sorry for such a late response I was at my grandma's for a couple of day's with my 8 year old cousin and she is such a pain to deal with. Also my dad let the turtle go when we were up at grandma's. Greg I live in Macomb township/New Baltimore. Also I love the UP two but we are selling it because of it's to far of a drive and with gas price's going up it's just so hard to go up there.

Thread Information