Thread: Frogs keep escaping help?

Hollie Patterson

Exclamation Frogs keep escaping help?

Hey there,
    I just joined this forum today after hearing about it from a friend.
    I have one problem.
    My Whites Tree frogs keep escaping. Now they're in a huge 4 foot converted fish tank (it still has the lifting lid, but i've taped one side down with black tape at all corners and holes, and the other side has weights). They always escape. This morning before I left to take one of my rats to the vet I found my female Big Momma on top of the tank so quickly put her back in. Now her boyfriend Azure has vanished. I can hear the little guy croaking, and it sounds like he's behind the tank and stand itself, but i've looked EVERYWHERE and cannot find him!

Now I used to have 3 of these frogs, but one female, Blue Ice, escaped. I found her a few days later in the rat cage. They'd torn her apart.
    So a few weeks ago Azure had escaped and I heard the most horrid sound coming from the rat house. I thought it was the rats having a fight and quickly checked only to find Azure in their house. Why the heck he was there I have no idea, they don't have any water in the house other than their bottle and they're at the other side of the room. Luckily the rats seemed more scared of him than he was of them, although he had a few bites. Last time I checked him however these bites had healed.

Anyway, so I've read through the posts and put down a bowl of water for him to go into. As I type this I can hear him but he's not there. He's not in the tank, I've checked five or six times now.

ON AN UNRELATED NOTE -

I have a Chubby Frog / Painted Bullfrog who lives with these two as I adopted him and Blue Ice from a woman who's son had lost interest in them. The bullfrog doesn't do anything to harass the other frogs and just gets on with his own business a.k.a. hiding in the ground and only coming up at night time. But I've been told that he'll stalk the other frogs? He doesn't bother them one bit, and they are all similar sizes. They all get on so I'm curious to know if anyone has ever kept these two species before and if so did it work? If not, should I post updates on how they get on? They've been together for about a year now and there hasn't been any issues...

Thanks. (:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Well, my friend, first thing you can do is set out a water bowl and a cricket bowl together, near the tank. He'll likely come to the bowls when he's hungry.

Second, you'll need to find a way to secure the lid properly or get a new tank that has one that shuts, perhaps an exo terra. You'll need at least a 20 gallon for two frogs. The doors close and click shut and there's even a hole in front to place a lock if needed.

Third, put a lid over your ray cage for now until your frog is found.

Finally, you need to take the bullfrog out. It's a disaster waiting to happen. The bullfrog can eat foods nearly his own size. He will at some point try and eat them. They are aggressive and quick, and if they cross his path for any reason...

Maybe you could keep the bullfrog in the current tank and get a new tank for your others. That would be ideal.

Good luck finding your lost baby!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Oops, not ray cage, rat cage. I'm a bad typist, lol!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Hollie Patterson

Default Re: Frogs keep escaping help?

Hello there, thank you for responding!

I'm putting the bull frog for sale/trade for other whites frogs, as I've already got too many cages in my room (8 rats per example...).

Azure is still hiding, haven't heard from him at all today. Checked all rat cages, no dead frogs nor any sign he's been near them.
    I sorted out the tank today by using air dry clay to seal the holes where the wire for their water fountain comes out of. Sealed up the lid with black tape at one side, then using weights at the other, so they definatly wont get out.

I figured they might not keep trying to break out if they like their habitat, so I added lots of live plants today and placed spagnum(?) moss around on top of the soil. The bull frog is currently hiding under it.

I'll keep you updated on Azure's where abouts (: thanks

Hollie Patterson

Also,
    do you know of any species which can be successfully kept with whites tree frogs?
    I've had them with green anoles as the store I bought them from said it was fine. Thanks, store - one of my anoles got her tail bitten off. The three lizards are now in their own tank, though.
    So is there any species the whites frogs wont try to eat? Just to make their tank look a bit more lively, I've always been interested in having a community tank. (: thanks

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Most amphibian keepers will tell you that mixing species in close quarters, aka home captivity is not recommended. They all have slightly varied needs and can be a threat to each other.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Hollie Patterson

ahh ok, thank you (:
    i'll just look around for more whites tree frogs
    the tank is around 4-5 foot long, 3 foot deep, with a foot long pond, so i'm sure I could fit a couple more whites in there

arielgasca420

I would take the rats out of your room until you find the rogue frog. I would also make sure the cage is properly secured before getting more whites

Namio

Place a heavy object on the cage lid to prevent escapes.

Nationality
    [United States]

Any luck finding him?

Thread Information