Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sonoran Desert Toad / Colorado River Toad, Bufo alvarius aka Ollotis alvaria - Care Information and Breeding

Kurt

Default Re: Sonoran Desert Toad / Colorado River Toad, Bufo alvarius aka Ollotis alvaria - Care Information and Breeding

And besides there are not in the US so they are not under our laws, and the frogs aren't really harmed in the process.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sonoran Desert Toad / Colorado River Toad, Bufo alvarius aka Ollotis alvaria - Care Information and Breeding

Added the toadlet size comparison photo and the side-on toadlet photo.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

stefan

Hmm, I have to check out the rouls for this species in my country
    Last edited by Kurt; August 23rd, 2009 at 05:12 PM.

TANK

Great care sheet!
    But one question, do you think it would be okay to let the nighttime temps drop down to 60-65 F or would that be too cold for the toad.
    The day time temps would be 85F but I was just wondering if I should let the night time temps drop that low.

Kurt

In my opinion, 65 is fine.

TucsonITGirl

Question Re: Sonoran Desert Toad / Colorado River Toad, Bufo alvarius aka Ollotis alvaria - Care Information and Breeding

Oh my gosh! You all are funny. I live in Tucson, AZ close to a wash, have a grass lawn and other foliage, small in-ground fountain/pond & large outdoor water dish for the dogs...these freaking toads LOVE my back yard! I can't keep them out! Unfortunately, I have a neurotic 12 year old half-Pit who, I think, likes them and actively "hunts" them so I have to watch her like a hawk. I've caught 4 toads in the past 5 days. I wish I could give them to you! LOL I just release them out in the wash and hope they don't come back. Anyone have a suggestion for keeping them out of my yard?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonITGirl View Post
    Anyone have a suggestion for keeping them out of my yard?
    Short of building a short wall the whole way around it, you're going to have to live with them. I take it's rained recently there if they are out and about?

Kurt

Oh my gosh! You all are funny. I live in Tucson, AZ close to a wash, have a grass lawn and other foliage, small in-ground fountain/pond & large outdoor water dish for the dogs...these freaking toads LOVE my back yard! I can't keep them out!
    Some people get all the luck.

TANK

Oh my gosh! You all are funny. I live in Tucson, AZ close to a wash, have a grass lawn and other foliage, small in-ground fountain/pond & large outdoor water dish for the dogs...these freaking toads LOVE my back yard! I can't keep them out! Unfortunately, I have a neurotic 12 year old half-Pit who, I think, likes them and actively "hunts" them so I have to watch her like a hawk. I've caught 4 toads in the past 5 days. I wish I could give them to you! LOL I just release them out in the wash and hope they don't come back. Anyone have a suggestion for keeping them out of my yard?
    That would be a site to see...just a bunch of toads all over the yard..

TucsonITGirl

The most I've had in my back yard at one time is 2. But across the street next to my neighbor's house water pools when it rains and the plethora of toads will keep you awake w/their "love calls" or whatever you call them!

Yes, we are at the end of a very disappointing "monsoon" season - supposed to be our rainy season but it was a dud. We did have some rain in the past week but not a lot, and I think the poor toads were desperate for anything. I caught 6 in 7 days. I think that's the most I've had in any one season!

My back yard is fenced, but one side is wood (as opposed to block) and the cotton tails have made a few avenues into my yard under the fence, so I'm guessing that's how the toads get in as well?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

The Sonoran Desert Toads make hardly any noise - it must be another species or more than one species that's making that noise.

Nationality
    [United States]

I love these guys eyes.

jelkins

Hey. I'm interested in hearing from people who have bred this species in captivity? I'd appreciate hearing about their methodology and whether or not they use gonadotropin injections or cycled them naturally.

Thanks.

T0ADMAN

Looks like this thread has been out of use for awhile.
    But, I'm new to the site and am looking for more info of this type.

The care guide was great, and I really liked the mention of how to breed them. I would love more details in this regard.
    I have a few B. alvarius and have been trying to look into breeding them. Any more info I can find on proper temps and humidity for hibernation, temps and size of rain chamber, water quality and filtration for the eggs and tadpoles, feeding of the tadpoles, etc. would be great.
    I have kept mine successfully for years, but have never hibernated them or attempting breeding in any way. I would really hate to risk their health in my attempts.

Since CB individuals are so rare, I would like to be able to breed mine and provide these wonderful toads to some other interested herp enthusiasts.

toadgal

Toadman, I am also new to this forum and am looking for the same info you are! If you come up with anything will you let me know? I will do the same for you.

cre3pyCrawl33

Quote Originally Posted by T0ADMAN View Post
    Since CB individuals are so rare, I would like to be able to breed mine and provide these wonderful toads to some other interested herp enthusiasts.
    That would be amazing. I've wanted one of these toads for years. They are unique and interesting animals. I wish you the best of luck. Maybe talk to John. He had some posted not long ago.
    -B

SonoranDesertRat

Excellent care article. I live in Tucson area and have a keen interest in the ubiquitous Sonoran Desert Toad. A couple of personal observations:

(1) To the poster inquiring how to keep toads out of one's backyard: I have a pool and was removing at least one or two toads daily (have toad-prone dogs) in early summer from yard and pool until I realized they were seeking breeding environment -- so I created a better and much more easily accessible "Toad Resort" 20 feet outside my fenced yard. Small wading pool with sandy bottom, rocks and hides, rock ramp for easy entry/exit, solar light to attract bugs. Immediately the presence of toads inside my fenced yard dropped by 99%, and every night I can watch plenty of toad action just outside my fence without undue worries.

(2) To the poster who mentioned keeping Benadryl on hand in case their dog/s mixes it up with a toad -- the appropriate treatment for Sonoran Toad venomation of canine mucosal membranes is to thoroughly and copiously flush with water; scrub the tongue/palate/gums with rough washcloth. Be sure to hold the dog's nose DOWNward as you are flushing the mouth so the water is running out of the mouth, not down the throat. Then take your dog to the vet ASAP. If the dog actually injests the toad or any part thereof, drive even faster and say a prayer.

(3) I did a fair bit of research hoping to identify the natural enemies of the Sonoran Desert Toad, and didn't find anything. Then a few weeks ago I witnessed with mine own eyeballs one of the larger resident toads initiating prey attack toward the movement of a tarantula approx 6-8 feet away -- and the instant the toad landed within an inch or two of the tarantula and identified it was a tarantula, the toad immediately hopped backwards and then rapidly hopped 10-15 feet away and turned to warily keep an eye on the tarantula. The tarantula began moving in the toad's direction and the toad beat feet out of sight. Hmmmm! Might be one thing the Sonoran Desert Toad will not mess with in its pursuit to fill the endless pie hole.

(4) A few weeks prior to that, I observed a young adult toad who typically hangs around under one of the backyard lights grab a blister beetle; the beetle put up a fight, and it could be presumed the blister beetle gave the toad a good bite on the nose, because simultaneously the toad (1) immediately released the beetle, (2) inflated in defensive mode, (3) exuded copious amount of venom, (4) squinched its eyes shut, and then to my utter surprise, the toad (5) used both its front feet to vigorously scrub and paw at the area around the front of its mouth and nostrils in what appeared to be an effort to either diminish the beetle's blistering agent and/or remove its own toad venom that had dripped down onto its face.

(5) Just tonight I heard toad-ish rustlings from an area of the poolside garden and upon investigating saw that it was a recent Sonoran Desert Toad hatchling, about 2 inches long. I caught it in a tupperware bowl and took the little guy outside the fenced area to release him by the Toad Resort. Just as I let him go, I saw movement in the shadows, and the Big Boy (huuuuuge) who lurks in that area nightly made a mad dash toward the movement of the little guy. I presumed I was going to observe a toadlet snack. To my surprise, the Big Boy diverted its attack just as contact was made, and then turned on a dime, looked up at me, and came charging at ME. I am not making this up. Hop hop straight at me and quite aggressively I might add. I took a step or two backward, and the adult toad held position between me and the hatchling who was now hunkered down motionless. The adult took one more definitive hop toward me, and I backed off. I thought perhaps the adult was simply challenging me in competition for the tasty little toadlet snack, but then the little guy hopped forward well within visual and striking range of the adult, and the adult never wavered in staring straight at me. Could be a one in a million coincidence, but I have to say, the behaviors reminded me of protective behaviors I've seen in all manner of other creatures putting themselves between offspring and predators. Dunno.......

Anyways just some toadish thoughts and observations on another sublimely balmy late summer evening in the Sonoran Desert.

SDR

SonoranDesertRat

Also meant to add -- to those inquiring about appropriate temps, light, humidity, etc. -- that's easy. Go to NOAA website at

http://www.weather.gov/

Type in the city,st [ie "tucson,az" without a space between city and state] closest to where your specimen/s originated, and you will find hourly weather, including humidity and precipitation. NOAA retains 3-day history, so you can easily emulate the prior day's climatological conditions. I know NOAA also keeps annual records, you can dig further on their site to find conditions for extended periods. Spring/Summer 2010 was very good for Arizona desert flora and fauna, with some record rainfalls and outstanding conditions for amphibians, so I would use that data period as a good benchmark for emulation of optimal breeding conditions. You can also easily find online the annual per diem sunrise/sunset for any location on the planet, which will dictate optimal artificial light sourcing.

SDR

mab63t

Default Re: Sonoran Desaad / Colorado River Toad, Bufo alvarius aka Ollotis alvaria - Care Information and Breeding

Attn John,
    Great pictures of the Bufo Alvarius! Did you take them yourself?
    I have some questions about getting my aquarium/terrarium set up for one but I see the last postings were a year old. Are you still available for questions? I am posting today for the first time and I thank you for the welcome into the forums. I saw this article of yours a month ago ---and certainly didn't think I'd get a welcome from yourself!
    Thanx.
    Tod

JMeToadMum

John, thank you for the information regarding the Sonoran Desert Toad. I recently rescued 20 tadpoles from a gal I work with that was keeping them in tap water. It has been 3 months and I now have 14 Sonoran Desert Toadlets, yes, I have FOURTEEN. Per your care sheet, I'm doing a good job of taking care of them. It is time for hibernating, so far one has made his/her way there. I am wondering if you have any suggestions on places that would take them (zoos, herpetological societies, etc) that would care for them. After quite a bit of research I have found that they might be endangered? Any suggestions or info you can provide would be wonderful! I am in Phoenix, AZ.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information