Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im about to leave what to do

littlewac

Default Im about to leave what to do

im about to head out of town for two weeks and i dont know what to do with my pacman. see i had one last year and took it with me he road in a hot car (we were all hot) then i keep him by a 70 degree vent and then a cold basment he already wasnt eatting beforewe left but we finally got back home and a few week later he died. i wasnt going to get a new one but i did and now its about time to leave. so do i take him with and see what happens or leave him home alone for two week in a 80 degree home with no one to care for him and see what happens. im scared he will die either way some one please help me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Locascio

Default Re: Im about to leave what to do

he will die if you dont chang that water for 2 weeks hes dead you should let a friend hold onto him untill you get back

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I am deeply, deeply disturbed by this post. A frog will not survive two weeks without food and fresh water. drastic temperature changes and stress and also deadly. that is what killed your previous frog.

Is there really NO ONE who can take care of your frog while you are gone?? Where are you located? There may be someone one this forum willing to take your frog. When you have a pet, it is your responsibility to take care of it. You wouldn't leave a dog alone in hot house for two weeks. At least I sincerely hope not. Show the same consideration to this frog. It is a living creature.

Nationality
    [United States]

Is there anyone you could get to come by for just a few minutes a day? If your house doesn't get over 80 degrees, the temp alone shouldn't kill it. I'd mainly be worried about his humidity dropping if you left him. It'd probably get too dry in a day or so. If someone could come by and mist him and change his water and drop a couple crickets in every day, it would only take a minute or two of their time.
    Not ideal, but he probably wouldn't die.

By the way, you mentioned keeping your frog by a vent to keep it cool... Not really relevant to your current problem, but having cool air blowing on a frog can make them very ill or even kill them. If you have to put your pac near a vent in the future (or even if there's one nearby in the room) you might want to put a towel or something over its cage to keep the air from hitting it.
    Just wondering, what temps are you keeping your frog at? 70 degrees is at the low-end of acceptable night time temps. 80-85 degrees is recommended for daytime and 75-80 for night. If their temps drop much lower they will stop eating.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Pay the local pet store to care for him until your return or as stated, put him in the care of a friend or neighbor.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

littlewac

I have no one at all to watch him and no money to pay the pet store and as for grifthegreat my two cats are staying home alone for the two weeks we did it last year and they didn't die I want help no your rudeness I love my frog and care for it all by myself I get no help for anyone so is there anyway he would be okay to go with I HAVE NO ONE TO WATCH HIM and I'm not okay with giving him to someone I never met

Wizzlewuzzle

I don't think Grif was being rude; he was just alarmed at the idea of leaving the frog alone for two weeks and "seeing what happens," because the frog will almost certainly die. I understand that you don't have money to pay anyone, but maybe you could call the pet store and explain the situation? They might be willing to let him stay there, with you providing the supplies for him, if you explain that your alternative is to leave him alone for two weeks. They may say no, but you won't know until you ask.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I was trying REALLY hard to understand and not being rude or mean and suggest something, but failed big time.

YOU. LEFT.CATS. ALONE. For 2 weeks??????? nobody changed their litter boxes, fed them, provide fresh water???????

I don't understand sorry. I don't understand as well how can you plan on leaving without backup plan on where/who will take care of your pets? they are living creatures who you took home, thus it is your responsibility to provide for them, take care and find the $ for care/vet/supplies/etc. IF you can't do it may be it is time to reconsider if you need pets at all.

leave your frog alone at home without anyone checking on it every day is not alternative - it is not acceptable.

there are always options: find someone who won't charge too much to check on it, high school students, may be even on this forum if anyone lives close, but anything at this point is better then just to leave the frog to die.

Rambo

Ill take that pacman if you dont want it..how much you want for it?

morgan

Leave it in a box of wet moss at the pet stores' door.

Leave it at neighbors' door.

Leave it on busy street corner.

Just put it in someone else's care ...before it slowly starves in your dark living room.

Nationality
    [United States]

Think about it... You left the cats with no supervision for two weeks, but I'm betting you left them enough food and water to last, right? And they aren't sitting in their litter boxes the whole time. Not ideal, but they had what they NEEDED. You just can't set up a frog with food, water, and clean conditions for two weeks.
    idk if this would work, but you could try telling a local vet or humane-society worker about your problem. Lots of vet offices have interns and volunteers that might be willing to take the frog for a couple of weeks.
    If you post what general part of the country you're in, there might be someone on the forum that could pick him up for a week or two.

I'm trying to give advice without sounding rude. It's just that the two options you gave (leave the frog alone or take it with you) will both almost certainly lead to the frog dying either from poor conditions or stress. Letting someone watch it is the only advice anyone can give.

littlewac

yes when we got home the cats still have alot of food and water i understand i cant leave him and i cant bring him so im going to ask the pet stores

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    Leave it in a box of wet moss at the pet stores' door.

Leave it at neighbors' door.

Leave it on busy street corner.

Just put it in someone else's care ...before it slowly starves in your dark living room.
    It has more of a chance of ending up dead if you leave it in a box somewhere....

morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    It has more of a chance of ending up dead if you leave it in a box somewhere....
    I think you missed the sarcastic point to my post. That this person should not be caring for animals.

Ivan M

Not to be rude, i truly hope he finds someone to care for that poor frog. This is why you NEED to think before you purchase a pet, no matter how large or small. You must think who can feed him if i am gone? who can care for him if something happens? Do i have the funds to take him to the vet if said animal gets ill? I will NOT take a vacation unless i know all my GECKOS, FROGS, SNAKES can be fed and watered every other day, its that SIMPLE! I am wishing you the best of luck, but please think before you buy another PET. We take our frogs here serious, not saying that you don't, but as human beings we MUST think before jumping into a pet that REQUIRES our needs in CAPTIVITY. If i lived near you i would watch him for you until your return.

Nationality
    [United States]

You must find another alternative for your frog. Frogs need a lot of care. More so than cats and dogs. I'm sorry for sounding rude, but not just anyone can care for a frog. If you cannot devote the time and care needed for the frog no matter how much you love it then you have to understand that you physically cannot care for it. Leaving for two weeks with no one or no way of providing the care it needs while you're gone means that you are not ready to have a frog. I'm sorry, but that's how it is.

I hope you find someone to care for it while you're gone and understand what I'm telling you.

littlewac

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    You must find another alternative for your frog. Frogs need a lot of care. More so than cats and dogs. I'm sorry for sounding rude, but not just anyone can care for a frog. If you cannot devote the time and care needed for the frog no matter how much you love it then you have to understand that you physically cannot care for it. Leaving for two weeks with no one or no way of providing the care it needs while you're gone means that you are not ready to have a frog. I'm sorry, but that's how it is.

I hope you find someone to care for it while you're gone and understand what I'm telling you.
    omg did you not see my last post i just said i understand and i was going out to look for someone to care for him talk about rude

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by littlewac View Post
    omg did you not see my last post i just said i understand and i was going out to look for someone to care for him talk about rude
    Honestly you're being rude. I read you last post and you didn't say you actually had someone to care for you frog. Obviously I'm wasting my breath.

Like I said I hope you find someone to help. I will not be posting here again

Good luck.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh goodness! I just stumbled upon this post and am concerned. When we went on vacation we took our frogs with us including everything they needed...mister, food, heat lamps, calcium, etc. Anyway, if you're close to me I'll frog sit for you and then return him when you get home? The frog will die if you leave him without care. He will dehydrate and then starve. Soiled water will cause infection.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

I am in northeastern Pennsylvania if you need help...
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information