Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georgie Moved In, Now she Needs Help

Georgie

Default Georgie Moved In, Now she Needs Help

My frog, which I believe is a chorus frog, moved in while I was away for a week for my Aunt's funeral. When I came home to water my neglected plants in my kitchen window box, this little frog jumped out at me and scared me! We tried to put her outside the next day, but she moved back in. She was my gift in my mourning.

Not quite two weeks later, I found her babies living in my deck plants. When I was away again, my neighbor dehydrated them all away to a nearby pond, but Georgie never left the house and six months ago, I nervously transported her to a new house. We let her live where she wants, but I think she chose to jump on our toaster oven today while it was hot and I'm so worried about her. I've only touched her twice in the last year because I don't like scaring her, so I haven't checked her, but tonight she faced me, stared at me squarely, and silently chirped. I'm so scared. She's never chirped. I sort of thought that might have been why she moved in because I thought her ribbit was broken.

I don't know what my voiceless friend is trying to tell me. HELP. Is she singing (silently) in pain? Is she frustrated that she makes no noise? I wish I had a boyfriend for her.

THANKS!

DC101

Default Re: Georgie Moved In, Now she Needs Help

If she's i young, then she probably isn't able to ribbit yet. As they get older, they test their vocal cords and it may sound weird. As they get older, they learn to ribbit properly.

Did you actually see her jump on the toaster or do you think she did?

Kristen

Does she have a water source? She could be dehydrated if she is just jumping around the house collecting dust bunnies. Have you thought about putting her in a tank?
    It was probably not that good for her moving house, but i know how attatched you can get to frogs
    If she does end up croaking she is most likely a he!
    Though females can let out a noise every now and then, but its not really a full croak.
    have you seen if she has any burns on her or any visible wounds? Try get as close as you can to her to see if she has hurt herself and actually jumped on the hot toaster oven.
    Good luck!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I agree with Kristen. I would set out a shallow bowl of dechlorinated water. If you can, purchase some small crickets and some amphibian calcium with vitamin D3 powder and very lightly sprinkle the crickets with it every other day (put them in a zip lock baggie with a pinch of the powder and gently shake). Get a glass bowl deep enough so the crickets can't get out and run around your house, and put 2 or 3 in every night. You could even use an empty, slippery plant pot since she likes your plants.

If she has burnt herself and has a blister she may need more care to prevent infection. Monitor her to see if you can see any injuries.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Georgie

Thanks, guys! I will try the dusted crickets. My husband was able to see her belly last night and she is burned and peeling. I heard her hit the toaster oven and bounce off. I gave her a bigger dish of water, but she prefers the two shallow dishes which are filled with filtered water.

As far as the ribbit, I've never found anything online about female chorus frogs singing or not. When she was staring at me, she was puffing up and truly looked as though she wanted my help I later found her in the corner with pressed into the side as though she was sulking. My husband noticed it to. I always check for her on the stove or by the toaster oven though I know she stays in one spot all day and goes to another spot at night. No idea why she would have jumped onto it at such an inopportune moment.

Thank you so much. Oh, and she's been at this place for seven months. She was at the last place for about the same. I took her plants away and sadly thought she'd moved out for two days, but she was there just before my final pack up so I figured she wanted to come with me.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hopefully she'll heal well. Be sure the filtered water is dechlorinated. I don't think filtered water is though. Chlorine is toxic to them. You can get dechlorinator drops in the fish or reptile section at any store. I use Stress Coat. It may help to slightly coat her belly too.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Georgie

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Hopefully she'll heal well. Be sure the filtered water is dechlorinated. I don't think filtered water is though. Chlorine is toxic to them. You can get dechlorinator drops in the fish or reptile section at any store. I use Stress Coat. It may help to slightly coat her belly too.
    Oh! I will look for Stress Coat. THANKS! I was searching weather I could put vitamin e oil in her bath. I wouldn't want to suffocate her trying to heal her. There's surprisingly little information about caring for frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm not sure about the vitamin E?

Georgie

I'm not sure about the vitamin E?
    I don't think it's a good idea, though I saw some people used neosporin! I don't think that's going to be good. She's been hiding under some rocks and branches on our counter for her. She's not coming out, not that she'd want to anyway, but if she never goes near the toaster oven again that's ok by me.

Nationality
    [United States]

Neosporin is fine to use, but only Original neosporin. The pain relief and other ones are toxic to frogs. You can use a Qtip and gently apply it. I used neo on mine when he had gecko scratches when I brought him home from the mall.

Georgie

Neosporin is fine to use, but only Original neosporin. The pain relief and other ones are toxic to frogs. You can use a Qtip and gently apply it. I used neo on mine when he had gecko scratches when I brought him home from the mall.
    You bought your frog at the mall? I wonder if I should get Georgie a life mate Maybe she'll hate it. I don't know!

Georgie

Georgie seems to be doing much better, by the way. She's posing like a sage and ready for a thousand more pictures. Thanks!

Kristen

Thats great to here!

DC101

Thats awesome to hear she is doing better!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

That's good . Is she soaking and eating?

You could get another though I'm not sure how well a new would do being free to roam. Maybe set up a care area for their food and water so the learn where the items are. I'm sure she'd love a friend . Does she croak at all? She would be a he if she croaks or calls/sings.

Georgie

She IS bathing, eating, and being a bit more visible in the evening. She's never croaked once, but when she hurt herself, it was the first time I saw her little face balloon up like she was trying to! We had tried to keep one of her babies inside who also smuggled himself in after about a month of being on the porch, but she didn't seem interested and he seemed confused to be away from his siblings. Am I reading too much into frog brains?

Thanks

That's good . Is she soaking and eating?

You could get another though I'm not sure how well a new would do being free to roam. Maybe set up a care area for their food and water so the learn where the items are. I'm sure she'd love a friend . Does she croak at all? She would be a he if she croaks or calls/sings.

Nationality
    [United States]

No, it's just natural instinct to want to be outside for them. She is a rarity. I'm glad she's behaving normal again. Is she getting used to where you provide her food and water yet?

It'd be nice to get her a nice male .

Georgie

Heather, she's always been used to it! She's been doing just fine. Like I said, we tried to put her outside and she found her way right back in. I was visiting my old neighbor near where Georgie came from and he's got a little froggie living in his bathroom. I decided if he's still there when I come back and it's a boy, I'm going to frognap him and hope it was the right thing for him and Georgie

No, it's just natural instinct to want to be outside for them. She is a rarity. I'm glad she's behaving normal again. Is she getting used to where you provide her food and water yet?

It'd be nice to get her a nice male .

Nationality
    [United States]

Awe . She does seem very happy there.

Haha! That's funny . Frog napping her a bf. Too cute!

It's actually pretty cool that she can live somewhat freely, yet have shelter in your home. Like the biggest vivarium around .

Kristen

Georgie the house trained frog!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information