Thread: Good first frogs?

Eight

Default Good first frogs?

I'm looking into getting my first frog/s. I know very little about what is available and what are hard/easier to keep. I ideally want a smaller frog species, that I can keep communally (maybe 6 or so) but I would like it to be a fairly hardy species.

I've thought about Peacocks tree frogs and Tri coloured dart frogs but I know little about either so don't know if they would be suitable for me?

Any help would be most welcome, and any suggestions for first species would be great

Sam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Frogger05

Default Re: Good first frogs?

I would definitely say Green Tree Frogs. They are small, easy to maintain, and also cute.

Eight

I'll definitely Keep them in mind. Just noticed you mentioned them on my introduction thread, I didn't mean to ignore you lol. What can you tell me about them? Size? can they live in colonies? is this the American green tree frog?

If you have any pics it would be great to see them

Frogger05

Oh it's okay, I get lost in these threads too haha. Well I got mine 3 days ago and he is just now starting to move around and act more like he belongs in the tank. Actually, 3 days is probably pretty good for an acclimation time. I think the biggest these frogs can get is 6 inches. The males are smaller than the females, as with most amphibians. They could live in colonies as long as you have a big enough vivarium. Probably 5-10 gallons per frog. And yes it's the American Green Tree Frog...are you able to get them in Australia, or do you just have the Australian ones?

Eight

I live in the uk so I imagine I could get either but I'm not sure...

Frogger05

Oh my bad...idk why I thought you lived in Australia haha.

Eight

Does anybody have any other suggestions? I would like to have a few species to research before I decide which to start keeping

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Isn't there a European version of our (American) green tree frog? I saw one called Hyla meridionalis in a book. Might be easier for you to obtain.

Firebelly toads are pretty easy/hardy. The only challenge is keeping the tank from having the toxins build up over time. I lost mine that way

Just googled Peacock Tree Frog-- WOW! Gorgeous!! Never heard of that one.

Try posting in the Dart Frog section and asking which ones are hardiest, if you haven't done so already. Good luck and have fun!

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm not sure what species are available in the UK, but Hyla cinerea or Hyla versicolor are both hardy species and can be kept communally. They also don't get very big and make good first frogs.

Eight

I've been looking at Peacocks tree frogs for as long as I've been looking at frogs but I can't seem to find many about.

And thank you guys for taking the time to help me. It's good to have a few species to look up. My other half wants frogs more than I did, but the more I look into it the more I want some. And as I'm the one that looks after all the animals I'm going to be looking very deeply into what species we get.

Nationality
    [United States]

My mistake about Hyla meridionalis. I was thinking of Hyla arborea, European tree frog.

Tyson

I personally love the pixie frogs, or African bullfrogs. They do get very big though, and you cant be squeamish, as they eat a large amount of food. I love the personality of my two frogs. And they really are not hard to take care of, but they do cost a lot in food unless you grow your own like me

Thread Information