Thread: RIP Igor

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default RIP Igor

Most of you know I had a "special" ACF X.Laevis named Igor, who morphed with a twisted spine. I got him in December 2010. As he grew, the twist intensified and he had to be hand fed because he could not find the food at the top of the tank. He swam in spirals and while I was away on vacation my mother found him dead. I can only guess at what happened and I believe that he might of inhaled water instead of air at one of his crazy spins to the surface.

He was a cute little guy and will be greatly missed as he was my favorite among the bunch.

When I first got him, the twist was not as severe, he could almost lay flat and had only a little difficulty maintaining his balance

Name:  016 (2).jpg
Views: 110
Size:  40.0 KBName:  001 (2).jpg
Views: 112
Size:  124.2 KBName:  010 (9).jpg
Views: 108
Size:  112.3 KBName:  005 (2).jpg
Views: 113
Size:  54.3 KB

His way of "floating" at the top, next to my other piebald Harvey. Igor is on the right in the picture.
    Name:  002 (4).jpg
Views: 120
Size:  64.4 KB

As he reached a year and a half to two years of age, the curve in his spine worsened as he grew until he spent most of his time floating in the water wisteria or leaning against things. He was unable to balance himself flat against the bottom any longer and this is when hand feeding became crucial so he could eat.
    Name:  IMG_20120510_164919.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  54.1 KB Name:  IMG_20120112_180853.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  50.2 KB

Here is a video of him trying to eat Reptomin sticks, even after sinking they are hard for him to grasp.
    http://youtu.be/vPQgVhzRS_k

Here is a video of him and Tovi a few weeks after I got her (she had morphed with no front arms). I was hand feeding them and trying to get Tovi to eat as she had refused for the first few weeks. It shows her unfortunately being startled and as she stirs up the tank you see Igor swimming around looking for more food.
    http://youtu.be/S37rVqI7ZBM

RIP little guy, I adored you.
    Name:  IgorZoomsmall.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  6.8 KB
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: RIP Igor

Jenna,

I am so sorry for your loss. Despite his handicaps, Igor had a good life with you and probably wouldn't have lived as long as he did with someone less knowledgeable. The other thing that might be on your heart is the fact that you were on vacation and wasn't his primary caregiver. Don't feel any quilt about that, I've been there and done that and it doesn't serve any purpose. Just remember that he had a good life.
    Karen from Montana
    The Reasons that I have to Work:
    1.2.0 - Equine - Butter Baby, Freedom
    0.1.0 - Feline - Cassie
    3.1.0 - Canine - 1 Min Schnauzer, AJ
    1 Lhasa Apso/Poodle X, DaniLyn
    2 Giant Schnauzers, Trucker & Trooper
    0.0.4 - Axolotls - Hewey, Lewey & Dewey, Angel & Fire
    0.1.0 - Hermann's Tortoise - Ari
    0.0.3 - Bufo Boreals - Wynken, Blynken, and Nod
    1.0.0 - Humanus Maritus - Ron

Yusil

I never knew Igor, but I am quite sorry for your loss .

It sounds like he atleast had someone take such good care of him, when in the wild he probably wouldn't have made it a week.

One of my frogs babies was born with two of his five toes missing on both back legs, so he had a hard time balancing and jumping for food. Not as bad as Igor's trauma, but I can relate somewhat.

I'm sure he was happier with you, then he would've been with someone else .

Wicked frogs

I'm so sorry to hear like karen said you probably gave him the best life he could of had at least you took great care of him and i am pretty sure he appreciated to the fullest... well rip Igor and sry again bro.

DC101

My prayers go out to you Jenna. I feel so sorry for your loss but now you know he is at peace.

Aw I am so sorry for your loss he was definitely something special, such a cutie. He had a good life thanks to you just remember that.

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Joene Latiolais

So sorry to hear about Igor, he sounds like quite a character and will be missed!

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Thanks guys, it has been a hard adjustment but will be doing a tank rearrange with the current stock now that I don't need a "special" tank for Igor. His was pretty bare so he wouldn't get stuck in things.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm sorry to hear about Igor, he was a really cute and special frog.

PHYSCODELIC63

I just lost Bud Ugly, I had him for a long time we estimated him over 13+ yrs old. I had him for over 10. The vet said he had congestive heart failure and he puffed up for a yr then he had scaped or his skin got so thin it got a hole, he had done so well or so I thought. one day he was fine and the next day he was gone I didn't see the fungus, it was so light on him. I know your pain, they are so special to us.. I cried so hard.. people that think we are crazy cause we get so emotional over our special pets just don't have hearts

FrogLover2009

Well it is sad that he passed away....he was a cutie...but I know that he had a wonderful life with you.....you treated him with the up-most respect and he lived a wonderful life because of you. Many animals come and go, but we all have to wonder....are we adopting animals...or are animals adopting us.....they always find a way into our hearts and you are a great owner who took much care and time to show how much you will miss him. I am sorry for your loss and I hope you still bring happiness to many more animals as well as people in your lifetime. -FrogLover2009

Thread Information