Thread: Concerns about Waxy Monkey Tree Frog...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Concerns about Waxy Monkey Tree Frog...

I ALWAYS do research before obtaining a new species of critter that I've never had or thinking about getting soon. However, I think, this time I didn't really do enough research and looking for some opinions.

I bought Smeagol (Phyllomedusa sauvagei) about 4 months ago and I don't think I have him properly set up. When I first got him he was bright green and active and readily ate both crickets & roaches. Now, he doesn't seem too interested in eating at all and this worries me. He has turned a dull green color thes past two days and through a little research it seems that he is unhappy/stressed. He pretty much sits in one spot ALL day which is under his heating lamp, which I'm thinking maybe isn't hot enough for him? It gets in the high 70s to low 80s, and I've read that they can tolerate temperatures up in the 100s. The bulb is just a 60W incandescent house bulb. I've also read that any sort of humidity what-so-ever can easily cause them bacterial infections since this species does not take kindly to humidity like most species of frogs, so I have him in a 16" x 16" x 20" Repti-Breeze which is an all screen cage. Do you think maybe this size is too big?? I've read they can be kept in a 20 to 30 gallon tank fine. If I did my calculation correct then his sized enclosure comes out to be about 22 gallons, so maybe not too big? Doing a little more Googling I've found some care sheets that say that UVB light is required, even though they are a nocturnal species. Is there any truth to this? I have his enclosure decorated minimally: He has a large piece of spider wood to climb on, fake vines wrapped around the spider wood to make it look a little prettier, and a large water dish for him to soak in (I've seem him soak in it at night a time or two). There's no substrate in the bottom - just my preference and it makes it easier to clean the enclosure. The bottom is just plastic - what came with the repti-breeze for the bottom.

I'm really worried since Smeagol's recent color change. I'm probably being paranoid and probably have figured out my own mistakes, but just looking for a little guidance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zalesa

Default Re: Concerns about Waxy Monkey Tree Frog...

I would get a UVB bulb. I'm not an expert on Waxy's but I know that Tree Frogs need the UVB so, try that and see if it helps!
    ~Lauryn

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Zalesa View Post
    I would get a UVB bulb. I'm not an expert on Waxy's but I know that Tree Frogs need the UVB so, try that and see if it helps!
    ~Lauryn
    I'm not sure I've heard that Tree Frogs need UVB? I also keep Grey Trees, a Green Tree and White's Tree Frog....do they need UVB light too? I haven't had any concerns with these species.

Terrarium Supplies

Hi Kitty, first of all can you fire up some recent pics of Smeagol and his setup for correct evaluation?

Waxies are supprising hardly animals if cared for correctly.

mrzoggs

Quote Originally Posted by Zalesa View Post
    ~Lauryn
    Ive never heard of Tree frogs NEEDING uvb light. As for my Red eyes i use no light at all. The only light they would need is for temperature. Some people use for daylight also.

Quote Originally Posted by toxxxickitten View Post
    I'm not sure I've heard that Tree Frogs need UVB? I also keep Grey Trees, a Green Tree and White's Tree Frog....do they need UVB light too? I haven't had any concerns with these species.
    Have you got a fecal check done? I would suggest doing that ASAP. Ive never read anything about Waxy Monkey Frogs but maybe its something such as parasites or worms.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Terrarium Supplies View Post
    Hi Kitty, first of all can you fire up some recent pics of Smeagol and his setup for correct evaluation?

Waxies are supprising hardly animals if cared for correctly.
    I will get some photos of his enclosure up some time tomorrow. I just got off work and am beat, plus I have an early errand to run in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by mrzoggs View Post
    Ive never heard of Tree frogs NEEDING uvb light. As for my Red eyes i use no light at all. The only light they would need is for temperature. Some people use for daylight also.

Have you got a fecal check done? I would suggest doing that ASAP. Ive never read anything about Waxy Monkey Frogs but maybe its something such as parasites or worms.
    I have not had a fecal check done. I can't remember what the previous owner had told me how long he had had him. I want to say 2 years...but I am not sure. I don't think it would just now develop parasites if he's been fine in the previous owner's care?

Nationality
    [United States]

Here are the pictures.

His set up:

Closer of the inside:

He has gone from his perch to down here. He has now taken up a minty green coloration.

I'm thinking his temps may be too low? I measured his usual spot with my temp gun and it ranged from 75-77*F. Where he is "hiding" now the temp was about 74*F

Terrarium Supplies

Kitty, slightly concerned that Smeagol is at ground level when he should be within the branches. They are natural climbers and in the wild spend most of their time asleep under the sun basking well above harms way.

Your enclosure looks fine, however just a few minor changes. Try flipping that vine so it sits closer to the light and use a 75W spot bulb for a direct heat source. You may also want to introduce some form of UVB as this may trigger him.

Temp range ideally needs to be around 75-80F with the basking area 90-95F. Humidity range should be 40% NO GREATER!!

Is he eating and pooing?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Terrarium Supplies View Post
    Kitty, slightly concerned that Smeagol is at ground level when he should be within the branches. They are natural climbers and in the wild spend most of their time asleep under the sun basking well above harms way.

Your enclosure looks fine, however just a few minor changes. Try flipping that vine so it sits closer to the light and use a 75W spot bulb for a direct heat source. You may also want to introduce some form of UVB as this may trigger him.

Temp range ideally needs to be around 75-80F with the basking area 90-95F. Humidity range should be 40% NO GREATER!!

Is he eating and pooing?
    When I first got him he was at ground level, but at that time I only had vines in his enclosure. He was very active at night, then though and ate just fine. I have not seen him eat since his recent color change and I have seen no poop. I'm assuming because he is not eating. I'm worried he is not eating, but he isn't skinny either. He is quite plump. I can flip the wood, but it will make it farther away from the light, as to why I have it in the position it is in now. I will get a high wattage bulb and see about getting some UVB on him.

Nationality
    [United States]

Got a 75W bulb and a 2.0 Repti-Glo UVB bulb. I hope that will be enough UVB for him.

Nationality
    [Canada]

just saw a thread. as far as temp goes - you got the answer above, but I'd suggest night temp should be no lower then 80, humidity ideal 10-20% but will tolerate up to 40%. I would also suggest to rearrange foliage and branches, more branches like you have but in different sizes, smaller and bigger, on different levels, at least one should be about half of the frog in width in mid level, less foliage, should be branch right under basking lamp ( temp here should 92-95) if a frog chooses to go there. Those frogs need to have open space with branches only and some space with foliage and branches. they are very active at night, so 20 gal per frog , 30 gal for 2 would be great. also they are social frogs and need a company of their own species. It is better to keep at least 2 frogs together. It is really funny to watch them interact the next best after watch them to hunt.

light - ideal -full spectrum solar, but the one that UVB you got + with sun glo ( basking spot) are perfect as well. You'r right -waxys are probably the only frogs that require UVB, when I just started with them I was told to think of them as chameleon-beardie mix that look like a frog, i say it is pretty accurate

how Smeagol is doing now with UVB on?
    dull olive color and hiding on a ground doesn't sound good what concerns me that he was in those conditions for 4 months and only now started to be unhappy, usually if something is wrong they will stress out sooner then that.

Nationality
    [United States]

He is doing much better. As soon as I upped his wattage and put a UVB bulb over him I moved him to his usual spot where he sat and he's doing MUCH better! I haven't attempted to feed him yet because I want him to get a day or two of UVB to stimulate his appetite. But, his nice green coloration has returned and I am happy for that. He didn't climb back down to the ground when I placed him on his branch.

I can't really get anymore of the same type of vines because it is a LARGE piece of wood that I bought from work. It is all connected. It is Spider Wood and very expensive ($14.99/lb, but I get a discount).

I'll see how he does in the next day or two - if he gets better or not. And I'll think on getting him a buddy. I haven't seen any dealers around here and I got Smeagol out of state. I wouldn't be okay with shipping any critter this time or year with it getting so hot early in the day.

Thank you all who replied and gave me some advice. I hope Smeagol starts acting like himself now.

Rae

I cant help but notice you seem not to have any subtrate? how long have you had this set up... Im always concerned about mine eating the subrate and this looks so much cleaner... But I have little greys dont know if it makes a difference?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Kitten - so happy to hear! hope it is all that needed. may be one day you can get another one to keep him company

as for vines - they need smooth surface ones, I'm using exo terra, but any smooth ones are good.

Rae- they don't need a substrate, whatever is easy to clean is good. Waxies are not typical frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

I want to make sure I get him healthy first and have the temps and everything right before I decide to get him a buddy. I didn't know they were communal type frogs. I will see about getting more vines for him to climb on. I knew Exo-Terra had many sizes available. And as for substrate, I don't have any in his enclosure because it is all screen and I didn't want to worry about making a mess if the substrate happened to be able to go through the screen. The slick bottom makes it a breeze for clean up!

Rae

Awws so I cant get away with no subtrate for my greys?:/

Nationality
    [Canada]

Rae - greys are different, they are typical tree frogs, they need substrate and humidity, you may want to check care sheets.

for waxys i actually was thinking to do something more natural looking then just felt looking cover that I have for the bottom, but couldn't come up with anything. coconut fiber will be powder in low humidity thus respiratory problems and death because of that may occur. anything else - impaction risk unless tong fed. but I just love to see them hunt, besides they poop and pee a lot, so it is just easier to use whatever works.

kitten have you seen bbc videos on youtube:
    The Waxy Monkey Frog - YouTube

and this one - typical feeding time :lol: although the set up is not the best one, and looks like humidity is too high
    Waxy Monkey Frogs are spoon fed - YouTube

Thread Information