Thread: Advice On My Green Tree Frog Tank

Frogger05

Default Advice On My Green Tree Frog Tank

Hello everyone, Frogger05 here. I am new to this forum but frogs have always been my favorite animal since I can remember. I used to want to change my name to Frog when I was little. Anyways, I set up my tank and everything yesterday, and then today I added a waterfall. Here is a picture of my tank:
    Name:  FroggerTank.jpg
Views: 3499
Size:  22.3 KB

Please let me know what I should add, take out, etc. Also, I have added a few more vine/branches like the one that goes across the entire tank that is already in there. Frogger is very new (I've had him a day) and he seems to be very shy right now. Hopefully he will start to come out more soon. Thanks for any advice you give!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Advice On My Green Tree Frog Tank

Hi,
    Biggest thing I can suggest is to read the care article for your frog.

They are tree frogs and should rarely be found on the substrate. Broad leaf plants, branches, and vines are what you want to provide for them. Have a good hydrometer in the tank away from heat source but near the level the frog is normally going to be hanging out. Day time humidity needs to be maintained when the lights go out the humidity should rise on its own if your not using night lighting.

Since your frog is new he will need time to acclimate so letting him alone, without making constant changes to the tank is needed. Feed in a cricket bowl (glass or ceramic cereal bowl or similar) so the crickets are stuck in the slippery bowl and makes for a place for the frog to easily find a meal. Also make sure the crickets are no longer than the distance between the frogs eyes. You will also need to dust the crickets about two to three times a week with calcium.

You have two lights on the tank so you really need to pay attention to temperatures since you don't want to over heat the enclosure and burn off all the humidity.

A good description of your tank might help others with suggestions also. Substrate, water used, wattage and type of bulbs, day and night temps and humidity readings will also help with more suggestions.

Give him time, a quiet place in the room, the right temps and humidity and he will come around.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new frog.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Frogger05

Thank you for the quick response! That second light on top of the tank is not used...it had a black light in it and I was going to experiment with it for night lighting but the bulb already burned out because it had been sitting in the garage. For my substrate, I used T-Rex Jungle Bed. It says it is ideal for tree frogs. I used regular purified water for the basking pool and the waterfall because I read somewhere that you can use that. If I do need de-chlorinated water, then please let me know. I'm not quite sure what the wattage or type of bulb is, because they were lamps I already had. I have been trying to keep the temperature between 70-80, but it tends to be on the higher side. I turn the lamp off at night, and I believe the temperature drops to around 70 when I do so. The humidity is usually around 30-50, but since I added the waterfall, it has been staying more towards 50. I also know that the tank is supposed to be taller rather than wider, but I am on a low budget as of now. I hope yo one day get a different tank for the little guy. Thanks for the advice!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

no problem. You should try to get the humidity up a little, 60 percent would be fine. If it has a screen top cover about 1/2 with plexi glass or similar and raise the light a little off the tank to compensate for the covered top. This will slowdown the loss of humidity.

As for the water, de-chlorinated tap water or spring water is best best since it contains minerals which your frog needs to be healthy. Never use distilled unless its only for misting the tank and not sprayed on the frog.

Yeah, taller is always better with tree frogs since the really don't use the bottom unless looking for a meal or the humidity is to low and they are trying to get it from the damp soil.

Frogger05

I will try to keep those things in mind...so would Zephyrhills be fine to use since it's spring water?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Should be, don't know the name brand but if its natural spring water then it is fine.

Nationality
    [United States]

Very pretty! Did you buy the green background, or make it out of paper?

When you're ready to change tanks, sometimes you can find good deals on Craigslist. The vertical kind is harder to find, but you might get lucky.

Congrats!

Frogger05

Thanks guys! And yes I made the green background. I have some photo paper and I went on Pages (the Mac version of Word) and made the entire page green. There was a little white border around the page but I just cut it off.

Thread Information