Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live plants for Pacman frogs?

Sage

Question Live plants for Pacman frogs?

What live plants would anyone recommend for Pacman frogs? I know that these frogs destroy a lot of live plants by trampling them, but they help keep up the humidity. Also what hydrometer/thermometer gauge would you recommend and use that is accurate?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Live plants for Pacman frogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    What live plants would anyone recommend for Pacman frogs? I know that these frogs destroy a lot of live plants by trampling them, but they help keep up the humidity. Also what hydrometer/thermometer gauge would you recommend and use that is accurate?
    Fluker's makes a digital temp/hygrometer combo that seems to be pretty accurate. I don't like analog gauges they tend to lose calibration. or stop working after a while.

Pathos and Bromeliads work for Pacman Frogs. Just make sure they can't eat any leaves by accident and remove any dead or dying leaves immediately. They will get dug up so be prepared for some plants to be put into shock or die.

Sage

Okay thank you for answering all my questions about pacmans, I just want my frog to live a great life! Well do you know of any digital hydrometers/thermometers you would recommend?

Nationality
    [United States]

What I was planning on doing since the frogs like to destory things, was to just use vines on some kind of background material and let the plants grow out.

Sage

Oh that sounds like a cool idea to make your setup look more natural and not letting the frog totally destroy the plant life!

Nationality
    [United States]

I have pathos rooted directly into the eco earth, and since my PAC generally sits in one spot, the roots kinda grew around the hole she sits in, it's kinda cool.

Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I have pathos rooted directly into the eco earth, and since my PAC generally sits in one spot, the roots kinda grew around the hole she sits in, it's kinda cool.
    Cool, thank you for all the information I have received!

morgan

I use live mosses (appropriately), dwarf mondo grass, baby tears, and pillow moss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB5-...e_gdata_player

Sage

Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    I use live mosses (appropriately), dwarf mondo grass, baby tears, and pillow moss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB5-...e_gdata_player
    Aw, cool yeah I use live moss too (but also used appropriately as you said). Nice pac, thank you for more ideas (your pac doesn’t destroy the plants, or did you place them high enough so where he/she can’t get to them?)!

morgan

Mondo grass is simple. Just plug em where ya want em. If frog rearranges, just stuck em back...hard to kill if soil is moist/wet and some type of flouro lighting. Some pet stores sell these in tubes for viv setups. Don't waste money. Go to a nursery and ask...buy a whole flat for same price.
    For example, here's a flat of dwarf Babys tears. I use this seasonally for my bonsai collection's ground cover.

Sage

Mondo grass is simple. Just plug em where ya want em. If frog rearranges, just stuck em back...hard to kill if soil is moist/wet and some type of flouro lighting. Some pet stores sell these in tubes for viv setups. Don't waste money. Go to a nursery and ask...buy a whole flat for same price.
    For example, here's a flat of dwarf Babys tears. I use this seasonally for my bonsai collection's ground cover.
    Do you think that light would be harmful to albinos? And thank you for helping me!

morgan

If I had an albino, I would always make sure its back is covered(moss layer) but its natural for them to be buried except for their mouth. Full on ambush predator. Reminds me of a trapdoor spider.

Sage

If I had an albino, I would always make sure its back is covered(moss layer) but its natural for them to be buried except for their mouth. Full on ambush predator. Reminds me of a trapdoor spider.
    Ok, thanks yeah I just got her/him and she/he is only two months old and is always burrowed (but still so cute! )!

Nationality
    [United States]

Did you still flush those plants that you got from the nursery before you put them in the terrarium?

morgan

Quote Originally Posted by aGreenCup View Post
    Did you still flush those plants that you got from the nursery before you put them in the terrarium?
    I actually soaked them in D-Con rat poison first.
    Of course. I've been keeping frogs successfully since 1979... Yes, I'm old. I teach Biology and Chemistry. My frogs are safe.

Nationality
    [United States]

If I had an albino, I would always make sure its back is covered(moss layer) but its natural for them to be buried except for their mouth.
    This does not protect their eyes. Their eyes will still be exposed to the flouresant lighting the majority of the time. This can damage them and eventually cause blindness.

arielgasca420

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post

Make sure and look for pothos, not pathos. make sure you bite into it first because some types of pothos, like golden, are known to be toxic. just take a little nibble and if its bitter then dont use it.

morgan

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    This does not protect their eyes. Their eyes will still be exposed to the flouresant lighting the majority of the time. This can damage them and eventually cause blindness.
    There is evidence of this? I'd like to see it. I've had frogs under flouro bulbs for 30 years.

arielgasca420

There is evidence of this? I'd like to see it. I've had frogs under flouro bulbs for 30 years.
    http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/docs/ul...amphibians.pdf
    I think you should read this. This is very informative with serveral professional opinions on various questions regarding lighting on mamals, reptiles, amphibians. Mostly, there is not enough sufficient scientific research on reptiles and amphibians, but this article definitely will shed some light on the subject.
    I think you should be fine. Just make sure there are some places for your froggy to get shade. In my personal opinion I think that the frogs should have some sort of lighting for photoperiod, but shouldnt be directly exposed to it for long periods of time. Tall canopy plants and log hides would be perfect for filtering flourescent lights.
    I think your setup is good, but it may need to grow a little more to get some canopy.

morgan

Quote Originally Posted by arielgasca420 View Post
    http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/docs/ul...amphibians.pdf
    I think you should read this. This is very informative with serveral professional opinions on various questions regarding lighting on mamals, reptiles, amphibians. Mostly, there is not enough sufficient scientific research on reptiles and amphibians, but this article definitely will shed some light on the subject.
    I think you should be fine. Just make sure there are some places for your froggy to get shade. In my personal opinion I think that the frogs should have some sort of lighting for photoperiod, but shouldnt be directly exposed to it for long periods of time. Tall canopy plants and log hides would be perfect for filtering flourescent lights.
    I think your setup is good, but it may need to grow a little more to get some canopy.
    Read it. It is an article about UV deficiency and how the correct flouro bulbs are still recommended for amphibians that don't need an extra heat source. It did mention damage was recorded in a few species but most likely due to vitamin imbalances than lighting. Here's a direct quote...

Although the spectral requirements for amphibians are largely unknown, most literature recommends the use of ultraviolet lighting in amphibian husbandry. In general, amphibians prefer subdued lighting. Nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism is not uncommon in captive amphibians, however many cases may stem more from dietary imbalances than UV light deficiency

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information