Thread: My Red-Eyed Tree Frog Won't Eat?

Zalesa

Default My Red-Eyed Tree Frog Won't Eat?

Hey guys!

So I recently got a new Tree Frog and I've never had a frog before. I have crickets and mealworms for him but haven't sucessfully fed him yet. I hold them in front of his mouth but he simply blinks and moves... Is there a different way you're supposed to feed them? I've done research before and after getting him but I guess the world is filled with smarter people than me since there is nothing on the way you feed them. =.= I've tried putting them on plants near him but they hop off onto the ground.. Maybe he just isn't hungry, I don't know but tips would be greatly appreciated!!

~Lauryn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: My Red-Eyed Tree Frog Won't Eat?

Hi Lauryn!
    Sometimes when you buy frogs, they refuse food because they are simply stressed. I would just wait a little while. Also, it's best if the frogs catch the food on their own. I recommend putting the worms in a dish placed on the floor of the terrarium. You can also try this with crickets, but if they hop out, you can feed them in a separate container with the frogs. I don't know exactly how long tree frogs can go without food, but I do know they can survive at least a week. If the frog doesn't eat within a week, I would recommend taking him to the vet (call before you go to make sure they specialize in amphibians). Hopefully he'll start eating soon!

wesleybrouwer

Partially i agree with that.
    Let him/her adjust for a while.
    Once settled it will feed on it's own.
    Besides, they tend to eat at night when the lights are turned off.
    Feeding insects inside a bowl isn't all that necessary.
    Getting them out to put them with feeder insects inside a seperate enclosure might just do the opposite,
    it stresses you're frog out.
    Instead of helping it, you are just making things worse.
    Best thing you'd do is leave the frog alone.
    Put some crickets or other food items inside the enclosure and only "disturb" you're frog to lightly spray just before lights out.
    If it's hungry it will definitely chase them, even when they roam free inside you;re enclosure.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Since your frog is newly acquired, he/she needs to acclimate to the new surroundings and the sounds and shadows that are occurring around the tank.

Here is a list of suggestions I like to provide for those with a newly acquired tree frog. I hope it helps with setting up your new viv and helping your frog settle in.

1. Place the tank in a quiet room and not in direct sunlight
    2. Cover three sides of the tank and remove any night lighting.
    3. Ensure their environmental needs are met such as temperature and humidity. See the care sheets.
    3. Ensure water is either chlorine free (bottled spring) or treated tap water.
    4. Limit the times you enter the tank to only when changing water and adding or removing crickets.
    5. Monitor humidity and temperature and mist once to twice daily.
    6. Provide enough natural accents to allow for hiding, climbing, and perching above the substrate. Since your frog lives in trees, they are rarely found on the substrate and prefer to move from leaf to vine to branch to explore the tank.
    7. Slowly remove covered sides over a few weeks to let them become accustomed to their surroundings.
    8. Ensure the crickets provided are no longer than the distance between the frogs eyes. Try using the cricket bowl feeding method so you know your frog is eating. May take some time but its all part of settling in.
    9. Monitor the frogs activity and weight. If your frog moves around at night in the dark and soaks or sits at the water dish edge, then he/she is doing fine. If a physical visual condition is seen, then its time to worry.

and finally..... relax. Your frog needs to acclimate to the new surrounding and it may take some time.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

6. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

Thread Information