Thread: RTF feeder bowl

Branman

Default RTF feeder bowl

I recently purchased 2 red eyed tree frogs from a local reptile store. They are Both still young about the size of a quarter. I have the same setup as the petstore. I've done my research on the forum and saw that the petstore did a good job of having the right type of items in the vivarium. Both my frogs seem healthy and dont seem stressed at all. I was just wondering, the petstore would feed them small dusted crickets and just throw them in the vivarium. I have a huge colony of Dubia roaches that I wanted to feed them. Ive picked the smallest ones I could find for them and put them in a bowl on the bottom of the vivarium. I've had them for 4 days, and they haven't been eating the baby roaches. I'm worried that they might not eat and possibly die. I've seen them standing on the edge of the bowl, but they don't seem to be eating. I would rather feed them roaches, I hate crickets. But I don't know if I should continue feeding them the way I already am? Or should I just go by crickets and see if they eat them? I was really hoping that they would eat the roaches out of the feeder bowl. Should I wait longer? I don't know if they are still getting used to the feeder bowl. Any help or advice would be nice. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DC101

Default Re: RTF feeder bowl

Hi Branman!
    I think you should wait till the end of the week before you get worried. Just leave a few running around for them and watch to see if they eat them. If they do then do it for a while so they get used to the roaches and then use the feeding bowl. Because they only eat live food then if their in the bowl they sometimes stay still and the frogs don't know its food. If you let them run around they will know its food and hopefully eat it.

You could also try hand feeding but just wait a bit Good luck!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You frogs will need to adjust to the new feeders and just ensure the roaches are not longer than the distance between the frogs eyes.

RETF's also are not aggressive eaters and will eat what they need and that's it. If they are moving about the tank, sitting over the feeding bowl and water dish, then they are doing fine. Just keep an eye on weight and let them take some time to start eating the roaches. You can drop in a few crickets in with the roaches to let them choose a meal.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Branman

Thanks for the info guys. I was a little worried but I will just give them some more time. Thanks

Thread Information