Thread: Study Examines Cricket Nutrient Levels (3 species & several cricket diets)

findiviglio

Default Study Examines Cricket Nutrient Levels (3 species & several cricket diets)

Hi All,

Captive insect-eating reptiles and amphibians (and perhaps invertebrates) are often plagued by nutritional deficiencies. A highly-varied diet is a great way to ensure adequate nutrition, but most keepers have access to only a few feeder-insect species; gut-loading (providing nutritious diets to feeders) is helpful, but detailed studies are lacking. While touring several Japanese zoos a few years ago, I was intrigued by the number of cricket species being bred as herp food, and resolved to investigate the species and diets I saw in greater detail. A recent article in Zoo Biology (2011, V. 30), which provides insights into carotenoid supplementation in three different cricket species, has re-sparked my interest. I’ll summarize below. Also included are notes on other cricket/grasshopper species. Read article here: Crickets and Carotenoids - Study Examines Cricket Nutrient Levels | That Reptile Blog

Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Reptile Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Reptile Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter Twitter.

Thanks, Frank
    My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog
    Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

Crickets, carotenoids, live food, grasshoppers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Study Examines Cricket Nutrient Levels (3 species & several cricket diets)

Thanks Frank,
    I can't wait to read it!
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

arielgasca420

Default Re: Study Examines Cricket Nutrient Levels (3 species & several cricket diets)

thank you so much! I always love reading these articles. I have Gryllus Assimilis right now

arielgasca420

I noticed the part about the virus that is wiping out the population of house crickets. I read a small article about this and the Gryllus Assimilis are not the ones who are a threat, it is the crazy red heads that look very similar in size and shape. Gryllus Assimilis are darker in color when they reach maturity.
    It is illegal to ship crazy reds across state borders except within CA, since they are native to the area. I will see if I can find you that article I read.
    The pet store I bought my crickets from said they were not the Crazy reds, but if you dont mind me asking, could I take some pictures of the ones I have an get a positive ID? I know you are a herpetologist and not an entymologist, but I am sure you will know more than I do.
    here is the website: Ghann's Cricket Farm :: Gryllus Info

findiviglio

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the kind words..please let me know what you think! Best, Frank

findiviglio

Hi,

I've not worked with them all that much, but would be happy to take a look. If you can link to the photos, could I trouble you to also post after my article, on the blog, as other readers would appreciate. If you'll be attaching to an email, you can send to fjindiviglio@aol.com. Best, Frank

arielgasca420

absolutely! I will send those pictures to you tonight and reply to your blog. Great blog by the way!

findiviglio

Much appreciated, take care, Frank

Thread Information