Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frog acting weird

pacmanspike1

Default Frog acting weird

Hey guys my Lil girl has been acting weird I don't know what to do .. Ok she can move her front two leg and now she has no control of her hind legs some times there spead all the way out and I have not found any poop for about two and a half weeks now she doesn't eat I force feed her and I don't know what to do anymore I feel like she is suffering now any help???? She lives in a 5.5 gallon tank I use a heat pad to keep the tank warm I use coco fiber for substrate the temp is around 80 and humidity is around 75-80 she eats crickets and sometimes worms I dust then twice a week I had her for about 7 months and don't know how old she is .. Any help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog acting weird

Quote Originally Posted by pacmanspike1 View Post
    Hey guys my Lil girl has been acting weird I don't know what to do .. Ok she can move her front two leg and now she has no control of her hind legs some times there spead all the way out and I have not found any poop for about two and a half weeks now she doesn't eat I force feed her and I don't know what to do anymore I feel like she is suffering now any help???? She lives in a 5.5 gallon tank I use a heat pad to keep the tank warm I use coco fiber for substrate the temp is around 80 and humidity is around 75-80 she eats crickets and sometimes worms I dust then twice a week I had her for about 7 months and don't know how old she is .. Any help

Is the substrate overly wet?? If she hasn't pooped lately then this may be the problem. Prepare a bath of luke warm de-chlorinated water with 3 to 4 drops of honey dissolved in the water. Make sure the water shallow so the frog can drown. No deeper than half the height of the frog or up to its chin. Soak the frog for 15 to 20 minutes.

Keep us posted.

pacmanspike1

Ok I did that a couple of days ago when I was reading through the forum and nothing yet at all Im stuck .. And when she try's to strike her mouth stay open for a Lil bit then closes it and even when I force feed her sometimes she can't get it

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok I did that a couple of days ago when I was reading through the forum and nothing yet at all Im stuck .. And when she try's to strike her mouth stay open for a Lil bit then closes it and even when I force feed her sometimes she can't get it
    Hmmm have you been dusting with calcium that contains Vitamin D3? Or a multivitamin that contains it? Something is not right here.

Answer these questions http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...enclosure.html

pacmanspike1

1)it's a 5.5 gallon tank 2) female pacman frog 3)75-80 humidity 4)80 5) bottle water 6) coco fiber 7)coco fiber,water dish,moss dish,wooden tunnel 8) crickets and worms 9)dusting 2 times a week 10) none 11) a zoomed heatpad 12) 3 days ago 13) not for 2 1/2 weeks 14) no pic 15)I don't know 16) I had her for about 7 months 17) I believe captive bred I got her from a petsmart 18)pinky once a week 19)only when I change the beding 20) very low traffic 21) self clean spots change water every 2 days

Nationality
    [United States]

1)it's a 5.5 gallon tank 2) female pacman frog 3)75-80 humidity 4)80 5) bottle water 6) coco fiber 7)coco fiber,water dish,moss dish,wooden tunnel 8) crickets and worms 9)dusting 2 times a week 10) none 11) a zoomed heatpad 12) 3 days ago 13) not for 2 1/2 weeks 14) no pic 15)I don't know 16) I had her for about 7 months 17) I believe captive bred I got her from a petsmart 18)pinky once a week 19)only when I change the beding 20) very low traffic 21) self clean spots change water every 2 days
    Pinkie should be no more than once a month. They can cause impaction. in younger frogs that are smaller than 2.5" Bottled water sometimes has chlorine in it. You have to use natural spring water or treated tap water.

pacmanspike1

Yea I know I only give her a pinky at the end of the month and her diet is crickets but they been to fast for her to get any more so I switched to worms and she has to be force fed but she has no front legs movement at all at times her hind legs stick all the way out and when she Tryes to strike her mouth stays open for a Lil bit and the closes I don't know what to do any more I fell like she is suffering now I'm sad and frustrated on this

pacmanspike1

I just read it and I only give her a pinky once a month sorry about that

Nationality
    [United States]

I just read it and I only give her a pinky once a month sorry about that
    Break the hind legs off the crickets so they're easier to catch.

pacmanspike1

I been doing that but still to fast for her that y I switched to worms

Nationality
    [United States]

I been doing that but still to fast for her that y I switched to worms
    Tong feed. Then they can't get away.

pacmanspike1

I started tong feeding her but at times she lets it go and it seems like her jaw is week don't know what to do cuz I'm trying everything her front legs are not moving her hind legs are sticking strite out for a couple mins then they go back to normal

Nationality
    [United States]

I started tong feeding her but at times she lets it go and it seems like her jaw is week don't know what to do cuz I'm trying everything her front legs are not moving her hind legs are sticking strite out for a couple mins then they go back to normal
    Take her to a herp vet. They may be able to help you further. I'm not exactly sure what is wrong. Could be chytrid, but I'm not sure that is what is ailing your frog.

pacmanspike1

Ok update I took my Lil girl to a herp vet and he doesn't know what It can be and for the past 2 day her eyes have been shut but she moves when I must the tank and also it's hard for her to keep food in her mouth I really don't know what to do know I feel like she is suffering

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok update I took my Lil girl to a herp vet and he doesn't know what It can be and for the past 2 day her eyes have been shut but she moves when I must the tank and also it's hard for her to keep food in her mouth I really don't know what to do know I feel like she is suffering
    You never answered whether you dust your frogs food with calcium or multivitamins??? You must do this. With out calcium with Vitamin D3 you're frog can get MED(Metabolic Bone Disease) which causes their bones to be brittle or rubbery. They will have trouble with movement and closing their mouths. Lack of vitamins can cause many different problems including neurological issues that can make them loose control of their limbs, have seizures, and not be able go use their tongue to catch food.

I'm assuming that you don't provide calcium and vitamin supplements for your frog. If you can still get her to eat by force feeding you need to go out and get both a calcium supplement and multivitamin for Herps. Also dint use bottled water because most still contains chlorine. Either completely natural spring water or treated tap water. You can buy Prime or ReptiSafe de-chlorinating agents to treat the tap water. Start doing this immediately. If youbcan find liquid calcium you can place some in her bath while you soak her. Use plain Luke warm de-chlorinated water without honey.

Also try a Pedialyte soak. 10 to 1 ratio so for every 10 ounces of Luke warm de-chlornated water add 1 ounce UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE. It must be UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE. Soak her in this solution for 20 minutes. While she soaks you can pour some over her back as well.

I hope that these at home treatments help, but I do not want you to get your hopes up because I'm not sure what is wrong with her.

Keep us posted.

pacmanspike1

Yes I do dust her food twice a week with reptocal it says it includes calcium and vitamin d3

pacmanspike1

Update on my lil girl i took her to another herp vet and he said the she didnt have MBD he said it was gentics he told me there wasnt much elseto do but i dont want to give up and i asked him y cant she move her front legs he has no idea about the then whileat the vet her hind legs went back wards and went strite for a couple of seconds it looked likeahe was having a seizure but he did ever see this before ... so what do u recomend now ?

Nationality
    [United States]

She likely has a deficiency. Give her the calcium on her food daily until the twitching stops. And get some herptivite and use it twice a week until the twitching stops. I would get some reptaboost /repta-aid today. Its kind of like frog formula with essential vitamins and minerals. Mix it up as per instructions. Add a couple drops of dechlorinated water and feed it to her. An absolute must...dechlorinate the water. Use tap water and add the drops. Grif has given you great advice. I think your baby may be toxing out from the water and has a bad deficiency of either calcium, magnesium, or potassium. It can be reversed if you act quickly.

Good luck!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Also, be sure to soak her daily so she is well hydrated and regulate her electrolytes. They are like sponges and need the hydration to balance themselves.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

pacmanspike1

I Have been following Grifs advice doing the honey and unflavored pedialyte soaks and it looks likes it working and she being a lot more active she still hasn't pooped but she been refusing food so I forced feed her n she looking ok but the move ment in her front legs arnt coming back And I'm going to go buy what u said rite now and I'll keep u guys updated thank you very much grif and heatherann for helping me out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information