Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keeping reptiles with tree frogs?

sinni

Default keeping reptiles with tree frogs?

hi guys, so ive had my heart set on tree frogs for a long time now and ive finally got my self a 3-4ft exo terra viv and im kitting it all out and im on youtube looking at some whites tree frogs and theres a guy on there that keeps crested geckos with his whites, i love crested's and i wondering whether it would be alright to keep these together aslong as they are all adults to avoid eating each other, all the set up's and requirements are the same. please let me know guys

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: keeping reptiles with tree frogs?

It's best not to mix them in the same enclosure.
    Maybe get another vivarium for the white's?
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

sinni

why though? everyone says like dont mix them but nobody gives a reason for not keeping them together? im not having a go i just asking why not?

arielgasca420

probably for the same reason you wouldnt keep guinea pigs and rabbits together. rabbits (50%)can carry a virus called pasturella which will lie dormant in their system, but can quickly spread and be fatal to a guinea pig if left untreated. The same thing happens with mixing reptiles and amphibians. I cant give you a concrete example, like pasturella, but you never know what exactly new diseases and parasites you could be introducing and what reptiles are susceptible to.
    I have seen frogs mixed together and geckos mixed together, but never frogs and geckos in the same enclosure. I guess its just one of those lines people dont risk to cross.
    You can mix however you wish, but thats a gamble you will have to take and see how it turns out.

sinni

thanks for that, i shall try and look further into it and let you know what i decide on

arielgasca420

let me know because I am always curious to find out about that stuff. people would ask me this question all the time at the shop. I have never had a concrete fact, only personal opinion from other interactions of animals. Dont get me wrong, I keep my guinea pig and rabbits together, but I made sure they all didnt have pasturella.

Some also eat other animals, they may attack each other. Plus like what was stated before, diseases. White’s tree Frogs skin is VERY sensitive and you might put them at risk. I wouldn't advise it. An animal’s life shouldn't be trial and error.

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

sinni

like what was stated before, they will all be adults so they wouldn't be eaten, about diseases the crested i am getting is captive bred, and the frog is wild caught from Indonesia so any diseases will come from the frog not the gecko. and its hardly trial and error as they will be closely monitored.

Nationality
    [United States]

I am not sure about reptiles but I know that different kinds of frogs have different chemicles that they secrete from their skin. These secretions are poisonous to other types frogs and probably reptiles as well. I know this is one of the main reasons that you should not mix frog types.

sinni

thats mainly for frog like Amazonian milk frogs and fire bellied toads and things though right? i dont see the problem with whites and a crested gecko?

Nationality
    [United States]

As far as I know, all frogs secrete chemicles. It is just that some are stronger then others. The secretions from a Whites is not that strong but prolonged exposure to it by other frogs and possibly reptiles could still poison, it would/could just be a slower poisoning. Mixing species is something that I do not do, it would be cool but personally it is not worth the possibilty of harming a pet that I bought with the intention of giving them the best care possible. Like Arielgasca420 said "Thats a gamble you will have to take and see how it turns out.".

Nationality
    [United States]

All frogs and Toads secrete toxins on their skin. While not all can harm us beyond irritating our eyes, skin, or just making us feel sick to other animals reptiles, other species of frog, amphibians in general, etc it may harm or even kill the other.

As was already stated disease is a major factor as well. These two animals will be sharing the same water source which in itself is not good. This will be the main source of disease being spread from one to the other. As was stated also they will not get along. Animals are territorial even to other species.

Just because you see it on YouTube doesn't mean you should do it. YouTube is notorious for showing improper husbandry, feeding, and all around abuse. It is good that you asked though before actually following that route. Better safe than sorry.

sinni

i understand the whole disease thing and have been researching more about it but as i said, it is a large tank and im only going to be keeping 3 whites in there, from what you guys have suggested and stated, i am going to get the frogs and then wait and see and possibly then introduce a crested...

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by sinni View Post
    i understand the whole disease thing and have been researching more about it but as i said, it is a large tank and im only going to be keeping 3 whites in there, from what you guys have suggested and stated, i am going to get the frogs and then wait and see and possibly then introduce a crested...
    It doesn't matter if you have 1 or 3. Even a large enclosure doesn't change anything. They still will be in a confined space sharing the same landscape and water source. No matter how long you wait to introduce the Crested Gecko the result will be the same. You don't understand or else you wouldn't still be set on housing them in the same tank.

It is seriously in poor judgement especially after several members including me recommended that you don't. If you weren't going to follow the advice then why as in the first place. We are trying to prevent you from making a mistake that will no doubt cause all your animals harm. We get this Time and again. People come on here, ask for advice and just completely ignore any and all advice given.

I'm not trying to be rude or mean, but to ask advice and now know that it is going to be a bad idea and you're still wanting to do it anyway is foolish and irresponsible. Listen to what everyone has said. It may very well keep you from loosing your frogs and Gecko.

sinni

not all advice is correct advice, have you ever kept mixed species of frogs in the same enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by sinni View Post
    It sounds like you already made up your mind, we are wasting our breath. If you want to take advice from some schmuck on YouTube and not from people that have years of experience with whites then so be it. Just hope we don't see you a few months down the line asking what to do with a sick or dead whites. Good luck for the animals sake!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Nationality
    [United States]

Its common sence. I have said all that needs be said. Take the advice or not. I have nothing else to say.

sinni

how are you wasting your breath? clearly other animals get along in the wild, i have asked for 'advice' and you shared your thoughts which i respect, but how do you know unless you try? some people cant keep cats aswell as dogs yet others keep them both in perfect harmony. all im saying is i asked for your thoughts i have took them in and i will not be rushing into anything, dont be so fast to judge.

arielgasca420

Quote Originally Posted by helm96 View Post
    As far as I know, all frogs secrete chemicles. It is just that some are stronger then others. The secretions from a Whites is not that strong but prolonged exposure to it by other frogs and possibly reptiles could still poison, it would/could just be a slower poisoning. Mixing species is something that I do not do, it would be cool but personally it is not worth the possibilty of harming a pet that I bought with the intention of giving them the best care possible. Like Arielgasca420 said "Thats a gamble you will have to take and see how it turns out.".
    I agree that all frogs can secrete something and the level of toxicity will vary. I would suggest reading up more on herpology articles about secretion in tree frogs' skin on Google Scholar.
    My only concern is that you are taking something from the wild and mixing it into a captive bred. This can be fatal, but thats your money to wager. I would rather be safe than sorry for the sake of the animal.
    the biggest mistake anyone can make is taking a wild caught animal and mixing with captive bred for several reasons;captive bred are very susceptible because they do not have much of an immunity system and foreign disease and parasites can quickly become fatal before you can even notice the signs.
    Its the same devestation someone gets when they introduce their new wild caught fish to their aquarium community and the next morning all of them are dead because of ich (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis)
    Hookworms are very common in fecal matter and they can spread to any animal in the enclosure (they dont discriminate). once this happens you will have a big vet bill to pay for all of your infected animals.

sinni

i have kept tropical and cold water fish for 10 years having both captive and wild caught mixed, and never had any problems, i understand that it only takes one to kill/wipe out a population but thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information