Thread: Worried, toadlet hasn't pooped since Monday

YogaFrog

Default Worried, toadlet hasn't pooped since Monday

Hey guys,
    i have either an American or Fowler's toad. He has been out of the water since May 28 and is about the size of a quarter. He has been eating flightless fruit flies up until Monday and was pooping daily. On Monday, I chaned his diet because he wasn't getting as many fruit files...I watched and it seemed like they were too small and he had trouble seeing them. So I got him some pinhead crickets. The varied in size...some seemed too big for him to eat. There was also a small red roach in the group. I put him in a small tank with them to see what would happen, and right away he ate one of the larger crickets! I was surprised it fit in his mouth. I moved him to a separate tank and added the roach and one the smallest crickets. He ate them both without a problem. He looked full and happy. The next day I fed him two small crickets. He hasn't pooped since the first cricket feeding! On Tuesday I saw him attempt to poop about 3 times. He would squeeze with hs legs, and I could see the poop start to come out, but then it would go back in when he stopped squeezing. I haven't seen him attempt to poop since then and I haven't seen any around the tank. I am worried! What if it's too big to pass? What should I do?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Worried, toadlet hasn't pooped since Monday

Quote Originally Posted by YogaFrog View Post
    Hey guys,
    i have either an American or Fowler's toad. He has been out of the water since May 28 and is about the size of a quarter. He has been eating flightless fruit flies up until Monday and was pooping daily. On Monday, I chaned his diet because he wasn't getting as many fruit files...I watched and it seemed like they were too small and he had trouble seeing them. So I got him some pinhead crickets. The varied in size...some seemed too big for him to eat. There was also a small red roach in the group. I put him in a small tank with them to see what would happen, and right away he ate one of the larger crickets! I was surprised it fit in his mouth. I moved him to a separate tank and added the roach and one the smallest crickets. He ate them both without a problem. He looked full and happy. The next day I fed him two small crickets. He hasn't pooped since the first cricket feeding! On Tuesday I saw him attempt to poop about 3 times. He would squeeze with hs legs, and I could see the poop start to come out, but then it would go back in when he stopped squeezing. I haven't seen him attempt to poop since then and I haven't seen any around the tank. I am worried! What if it's too big to pass? What should I do?
    Prepare a bath of Luke warm de-chlorinated water with 2 drops of honey dissolved in the bath. Soak him for 15 to 20 minutes. Continue these baths until he poops. The first bath should be the only one with honey, but repeat the honey bath twice a week until he goes. Make sure the water is only half his height in depth or up to his chin.

YogaFrog

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Prepare a bath of Luke warm de-chlorinated water with 2 drops of honey dissolved in the bath. Soak him for 15 to 20 minutes. Continue these baths until he poops. The first bath should be the only one with honey, but repeat the honey bath twice a week until he goes. Make sure the water is only half his height in depth or up to his chin.
    So how often do I give him the baths without honey? I haven't been feeding...should I?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by YogaFrog View Post
    So how often do I give him the baths without honey? I haven't been feeding...should I?
    You can wait on feeding him for a day or so. Offer worms. They act as a stool softener. I would add honey for the first bath then skip it for a couple baths then add again and repeat the process. Make sure the water isn't too deep and that its like warm or just barely warm to the touch.

Make sure the warms are appropriately sized for the little Toad. Cut them if necessary.

Thread Information