Thread: am i over feeding him?

froggycakes

Default am i over feeding him?

my baby pacman frog (Kartman) is still very young he really only eats around midnight, i will throw some crickets in there around 8-9 pm but he wont eat until its around 12 but he typiclly eats about 5-6 crickets should i cut back on the amount of crickets he eats, or is it healthy for a baby to eat alot?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DC101

Default Re: am i over feeding him?

could we see a pic of Kartman?

JIvoryII

how big is he? what size crix are you feeding him? I always suggest tong feeding night crawlers cut if need be.. but thats just my preference. most will only eat their fill so it should be fine..

froggycakes

ok
    and here is my baby Kartman (:Name:  P070712_22.31.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  25.8 KB

DC101

Well, i can't really tell by the pic because its side on but he looks fine to me. Cute frog you got there!!!

froggycakes

Thanks! (: he is hard to take pics of because he will NEVER move out from under his rock so thats the best one i can get.
    oh and i feed him the small crickets i use the "rule of thumb" and dont really feed him anything much bigger than the size between his eyes.

DC101

Thats good. He looks very happy and healthy! Well done

froggycakes

YEA!!! lol thats good to hear, i didnt want to over feed him but its hard not to when he looks so cute lol! thanks for letting me know im on the right track though its appreciated

DC101

I know how you feel when you say its hard not to over feed them because they are so cute. Its so hard to resist!!!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

That should be fine. Once it starts to approach adult size, I would start cutting back on feedings. Young froglets under two inches should be fed as much as possible in my opinion. Ive always fed my young froglets either half or whole nightcrawlers and in less than a month they more than doubled in size and still maintain a healthy weight ( a bit of side sag, not looking totally bloated like they are gonna explode all the time etc, dont look too much like jabba the hutt etc..).
    Its worth noting that in the wild they are adapted to eating other frogs, especially as young froglets. There first meal out of the pond will more than likely be a sibling, which will ensure they double in size which will then ensure they have a chance to easily gulp down another couple of siblings.
    My froglet Fantasy frog came about the size of a quarter, maybe smaller and he eats a whole nightcrawler a day. I started giving him half, but I only had to do that twice. In less than two weeks he is nearly two inches long.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Actually I would offer more. He is in a crucial stage in his life and needs as much food and nutrition as possible. offer him about 7 or 8 from now on. Always remove any he doesn't eat so they don't annoy him while he sleeps during the day.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    That should be fine. Once it starts to approach adult size, I would start cutting back on feedings. Young froglets under two inches should be fed as much as possible in my opinion. Ive always fed my young froglets either half or whole nightcrawlers and in less than a month they more than doubled in size and still maintain a healthy weight ( a bit of side sag, not looking totally bloated like they are gonna explode all the time etc, dont look too much like jabba the hutt etc..).
    Its worth noting that in the wild they are adapted to eating other frogs, especially as young froglets. There first meal out of the pond will more than likely be a sibling, which will ensure they double in size which will then ensure they have a chance to easily gulp down another couple of siblings.
    My froglet Fantasy frog came about the size of a quarter, maybe smaller and he eats a whole nightcrawler a day. I started giving him half, but I only had to do that twice. In less than two weeks he is nearly two inches long.
    Dont take this to mean that Im suggesting that feeding frogs to your frog is a good idea by any means, due to risk of disease and contamination. I'd likewise stay away from Goldfish and other feeder fish for the same reasons. Ive heard of goldfish being raised on chicken droppings...nopt very sanitary. Freezing them doesnt seem to help the problem either. Though from what I understand, fish are fine to use otherwise, I trap shiners from the river, and have been considering breeding some mollies.
    The staple of my frogs diet consists of mainly nightcrawlers, Samurai Pacman food and Shiners. I sometimes dip the nightcrawlers in a vitamin and calcium powder, but have done so much less since using the Pacman food.

Like Grif said, feed the young ones as much as possible, they grow fast and within the first month after absorbing the tail can more than triple in size on a good diet.

froggycakes

thanks yall so much!!

Thread Information