Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Should I breed my Chacoan Horned Frogs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,697
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Should I breed my Chacoan Horned Frogs?

    It is usually a good idea to consider breeding your frogs. I plan on Breeding later on, but have plenty of Time to learn the complete process from already experienced breeders here on the forum.
    ​

  2. #2
    100+ Post Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    396

    Default Re: Should I breed my Chacoan Horned Frogs?

    Why do you think it is a usually a good idea to consider breeding your frogs?

  3. #3
    100+ Post Member pac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    U.S.A /VA
    Posts
    572

    Default Re: Should I breed my Chacoan Horned Frogs?

    Do some research and get the rainchamber built and the babys food bloodworms or blackworms I wouldn't breed cranwelis it to many peolple breeding them alreadly naturally or hormones do ornata that what I'm working on and albinos ,ornata and cranweli mixes
    Ceratophyrs and African Bullfrog Keeper For Life

  4. #4
    100+ Post Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    396

    Default Re: Should I breed my Chacoan Horned Frogs?

    Im not at all interested in breeding any hybrids. But you're right, alot of people breed Cranwell's and they are very well established in the pet trade. It would be like breeding regular colored Leopard Geckos at this point.
    Ornates would be interesting, I've never kept one. I've read they have multi generational breeding problems. I'd be interested in Cornuta, but there has been no F2 success with that species. I have been seriously considering breeding breed Stolzmann's Horned Frogs, and purchasing a group of 4 to 6 from Understory Enterprises.

    I've also been considering breeding Budgetts Frogs.

  5. #5
    100+ Post Member mikesfrogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    california
    Posts
    2,388
    Blog Entries
    1
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Should I breed my Chacoan Horned Frogs?

    Ornatas are very hard to breed. Almost all breeders I know of use hormones on them. Mine have yet to breed in 6 months. Partly due to not having enough of them. The usa ornata stock is hard to breed for some reason. I am importing 100 baby ornates from japan this fall. I am keeping half of them to use as breeders to see if they are easier to breed.

    A dependable male is what you need for sure. I have one that is a brown cranwelli and he does the job everytime. All I do is pick him up set him on the girl. He then grabs her and the next day I have eggs. Only male of mine that will do that.

    The frogs you raise will sell. There are billions of people on the earth. Brush up on your sales and service skills along with marketing and the buyers will come. :-)

  6. #6
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,697
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Should I breed my Chacoan Horned Frogs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    Why do you think it is a usually a good idea to consider breeding your frogs?
    Experience is a part of why its a good idea. Also it is their natural behavior to seek out a mate and breed. Most books on keeping frogs suggests that you breed your frog if you're going to be keeping them for years. Basically to further the species and there is always going to be people wanting Pacman Frogs no matter what species they are. Sure Cranwell's is the main species in the trade, but that's because out of every species its the easiest to breed. Also no two frogs are alike so each individual you produce has the potential to be better, healthier, and more vibrant in color and pattern that your competition. I don't even see other breeders as competition because of location. Mike is in Cali. Jim and Jess are in Texas and I'm in Ohio. I don't even know of any breeders even close to me. Atleast none that I've heard of so not really competing. Plus you can buy and sell to other breeders to help keep the gene pool healthy and strong.

    There are many benefits to breeding your frogs. I bet it gives a great feeding of accomplishment as well
    ​

  7. #7
    100+ Post Member pac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    U.S.A /VA
    Posts
    572

    Default Re: Should I breed my Chacoan Horned Frogs?

    I live in Virgnia I don't thing anybody breeding them besides me trying to I'm a very close friend to my local petstore the manager of the reptiles knows because I come in there buy food for frogs and buy frogs from them and sold frogs to them
    Ceratophyrs and African Bullfrog Keeper For Life

  8. #8
    100+ Post Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    396

    Default Re: Should I breed my Chacoan Horned Frogs?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Experience is a part of why its a good idea. Also it is their natural behavior to seek out a mate and breed. Most books on keeping frogs suggests that you breed your frog if you're going to be keeping them for years. Basically to further the species and there is always going to be people wanting Pacman Frogs no matter what species they are. Sure Cranwell's is the main species in the trade, but that's because out of every species its the easiest to breed. Also no two frogs are alike so each individual you produce has the potential to be better, healthier, and more vibrant in color and pattern that your competition. I don't even see other breeders as competition because of location. Mike is in Cali. Jim and Jess are in Texas and I'm in Ohio. I don't even know of any breeders even close to me. Atleast none that I've heard of so not really competing. Plus you can buy and sell to other breeders to help keep the gene pool healthy and strong.

    There are many benefits to breeding your frogs. I bet it gives a great feeding of accomplishment as well
    Well its certainly something I'd like to experience, thats for sure.
    Interestingly, most books I have on Pacman frogs suggest that if you are caring for them as pets, breeding them is not the best idea, as it is risky to the frogs. The longest records for captive horned frogs werent breeders.
    The concern I have is that Cranwell's are so easy to breed and so well established, and the fact that a few large commercial breeding programs supply most of the frogs to pet stores nation wide. The concern here is that too many hobbyist breeders drive down the market, making financially straining on established commercial breeding programs and possibly force them out of business.

    I plan to breed the Cranwell's a few times as a practice run, and use any money I make to invest in either rare color morphs or even rarer species, such as Stolzmann's or Auritas.
    Location was a key part of my interest, I plan on pursuing breeding and selling these frogs and selling them mainly in the upper midwest, as all of the reptile specialty stores around here order theres from the west or east coast at high shipping costs. Ive never seen any Horned frog breeders at any of the expos Ive been to around here over the years. Most people around here breed snakes, geckos or bearded dragons.

  9. #9
    100+ Post Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    396

    Default Re: Should I breed my Chacoan Horned Frogs?

    I posted the same question to Phillipe De Vosjoli, and heres what he had to say (hope he doesnt mind me quoting him)

    "Ron,Since I wrote that booklet, I have seen so many attempts to commercialize horned frogs fail that I've concluded that a free market approach is the best. . The large scale breeders now offer a wife range of species and their selection makes them resistant to pressure from individuals who focus on a single species. Being successful to profitably breed frogs is difficult. If you have a market then definitely breed your frogs. One of the great obstacles to success is designing a system that allows large scale housing and rearing of froglets to reduce loss from cannibalism without it being so labor intensive that it becomes non profitable.

    C. cornuta to my knowledge has not been bred to an F2 generation but one individual who focuses on this species may have. C. cornuta needs to be established in herpetoculture or it will one day no longer be available. Long generation time of about 3 years is one of the obstacles.
    Ornate horned frogs should be bred as well as Budgett's frogs. In the case of all of these, introducing new blood from imports is a good idea (both Chacoan and Budgetts are imported once or twice a year, usually in fall/winter from Paraguay).

    Hope this answers you questions.

    Best,

    Philippe"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Unusual place for frogs/toads to breed??
    By frankbover in forum Introductions Area
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 28th, 2012, 01:49 PM
  2. How Do You Breed Chubby Frogs?
    By Mansing Fortes in forum Frogs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 30th, 2012, 02:39 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 15th, 2011, 04:14 PM
  4. Trying to breed horned frogs...
    By glennbo in forum Introductions Area
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM
  5. Anyone keep or breed barking tree frogs?
    By GRATIOSA in forum Tree Frogs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 9th, 2010, 02:19 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •