Thread: My two FBTs suddenly died, within hours of each other!

Allistor

Default My two FBTs suddenly died, within hours of each other!

I don't know what happened. Roxy was sitting in the water for a long time, and I thought something was wrong, so I tapped the glass a little and got no response. I nudged her with my finger and she just fell over in the water. She must have been dead for a little bit because she was stiff.
    Then, few hours later, Roux is sitting on a rock in their land area staring out the glass. I got suspicious and sure enough he didn't move either... he wasn't stiff yet and I must have just caught it.
    They didn't seem sick or anything. They ate well, I fed them Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays, Calc with D3 2x a week and Multivitamins 1x a week. They usually ate 1-2 crickets each, even when I offered more.
    Does anyone know what could possibly have happened?
    I had them for about two weeks. They were in a 10 gallon aquarium with 2 inches of water, a tetra 10i filter (with fake plants to weaken the flow of water so it wasn't strong), plus a few large rocks and a lot of smaller rocks (but way too big to fit in their mouths) to make up the land area. The only thing that may have been out of the ordinary was that Roux was constantly trying to mate with Roxy, but I'm still new so that might be normal? I'll admit that I had not done a partial water change as is recommended every week, but I was getting ready to do one within the next day or two. Perhaps the water got to much toxin in it, and caused them to get sick? I'm not sure how their own toxins in the water would affect them...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Chaser

Default Re: My two FBTs suddenly died, within hours of each other!

Im not really an "Expert" on Fire-bellied toad's but I do know that these toads do not stop excreting this toxin and it can build up in their enclosure. The key to keeping them safe is to regularly clean their enclosure and use a water filter with charcoal, which will help break down the toxin and increase the time between cleanings.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Alistor,
    I'm sorry about your losing both of your toads at the same time. If they were eating, I don't think that was the cause. However, I'm wondering if your set up needs to be considered. In a close cycle system, changing the water on a regular basis is highly recommended. The thing that I would suggest is that you create a more terrestrial land base. Rocks keep them out of the water, but they don't live in the wild that way. Read Kurtz care sheet on Fire Belly Toads for a more complete description. I took the liberty to copy the habitat description.

In the wild, B. orientalis inhabits mixed temperate forest (mixed forest is made up of deciduous and coniferous trees). It is found in or near the stagnant waters of lakes, ponds, swampy bush lands, springs, ditches, and puddles. It usually hibernates on land, but some do so in water, from September or October, to April or May. Common den sites are rotting logs, thick leaf litter, and piles of stones.

I hope that you make some changes and try again.
    Karen from Montana
    The Reasons that I have to Work:
    1.2.0 - Equine - Butter Baby, Freedom
    0.1.0 - Feline - Cassie
    3.1.0 - Canine - 1 Min Schnauzer, AJ
    1 Lhasa Apso/Poodle X, DaniLyn
    2 Giant Schnauzers, Trucker & Trooper
    0.0.4 - Axolotls - Hewey, Lewey & Dewey, Angel & Fire
    0.1.0 - Hermann's Tortoise - Ari
    0.0.3 - Bufo Boreals - Wynken, Blynken, and Nod
    1.0.0 - Humanus Maritus - Ron

ToadTee

Ohhh I am sorry you lost your wee toads.

Thread Information