Thread: Signs of stress in Whites Tree Frogs?

DC101

Default Signs of stress in Whites Tree Frogs?

Hey guys!

2 days ago i bought 3 Australian Whites Tree Frogs (Green Tree Frogs) and they seam to be doing alright in their enclosure.

2 of them move around a lot but one has stayed in the same spot for 24 hours. Ive fed it 2 crickets today by hand and sprayed some water (don't worry, its not distilled) on it because i don't think it soaked last night but i can't tell because i didn't stay up all night watching them. Im a little concerned for this little fella because he/she isn't hanging round with the others and has changed colour a bit but thats normal.

I know that there only new and im getting a bit ahead of myself. Ive had to open the viv a few times today and fiddle around because the pump stopped working but that is now fixed. There is no need to disturb them anymore today so they have around 14 hours of no david time

Im hoping that they aren't too stressed and get well soon. Does anyone know what could be going on the the little guy that sits in the same spot. The temperature during the day is 26 and night is 24 or 22.

The humidity is around 60% but i don't know what it should be. Its winter and thats the problem. Lack of humidity.

Thanks guys!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

NatureLady

Default Re: Signs of stress in Whites Tree Frogs?

You need to have at least 3 sides of your tank covered to help reduce stress. Sitting in one spot isn't a huge alarm in my mind.

mrzoggs

yeah i forgot about that. covering 3 sides will help greatly with stress in a new environment.

DC101

what should i cover it with and how long should i have them covered?

Do i just leave the front uncovered?

mrzoggs

you can use like a black poster board or whatever its called. or background from a petstore. plenty of things.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I had what I thought was a similar situation with my 3rd Whites when I brought him home. He did not appear to be moving and I thought he just sitting in the same spot. Then I started to notice some debris in his water dish. He must have been waiting for it to get completely dark and no movement in the room before he would move and was back to what appeared to be the same exact spot every morning. Now he is all over the tank and very vocal, some of them get their securities in different ways. My other 2 have been active and out in the open from the day I bought them!

NatureLady

I have used everything from recycled cereal boxes, newspaper (several layers to get it dark), and currently I have been using a black curtain that was not being used hanging around my tank. I like it so much I have left it around the tank to help cut out the light. (My frogs live in the kitchen and there are always lights off and on)

DC101

Thanks for your help guys!

To my surprise, the frog that was sitting in the same spot is now the most active. He/she is literally jumping off the walls! I was so happy to see him/she wide eyed and wondering around.

How long should i cover the sides for?

NatureLady

I think 2 weeks, but like I said...mine has been covered for about a month and we all like it being up (the black curtain).

DC101

Newspaper sounds easy enough. At least they can have some fun reading whats happening in the world lately haha

Do i just tape it to the sides?

NatureLady

Sure!

DC101

Ok, ill try it.

Thread Information