Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about croaking

spencerfish98

Default Question about croaking

So today I bought a 20g long tank and I have it set up to accomodate for a pacman frog. Heres the thing, my parents will not let me get one that croaks. I know that the males croak but I was wondering if all males croak and when they do is it because they did it on their own or because you sprayed them or squeezed them or played other sounds to get them to croak? Also, I am going to a reptile expo this weekend and I know from experience that they sell pacmans there. Now if I can buy a proven female there, problem solved but I have a feeling they will be unsexed like so many of the frogs online. I am a super-noob so i will not know how to sex them on the spot. My main question is that if I get a baby, and it turns out to be male, will I hear it croak in the night in my room or will it only croak if induce it to? Also one last question: If my room stays at roughly 75 degrees will I need to buy a heater?
    Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wizzlewuzzle

Default Re: Question about croaking

I don't have any input on sexing the frogs, but yes you'll want to keep the tank temp higher than 75. You'll also need a tank divider or something if you get a baby, because 20 gallons is way too big and could stress the frog out.

spencerfish98

So I do need to heat it, thanks. What should I use? Also, they need their water dechloronated right?

Wizzlewuzzle

Yup, definitely dechlorinate the water. With a smaller tank, you could use an under tank heat mat--but on the side of the tank, never underneath. With one that large you may need a heat lamp. Grifthegreat has made some really good specific recommendations for heat lamps/bulbs in other threads. I can't personally recommend any (I'm using a heat mat), but if you do a search you can probably find them. Make sure to get gauges for both temp and humidity, and put them in the back middle of the tank like an inch above the substrate.
    Last edited by Wizzlewuzzle; July 9th, 2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Dang autocorrect

spencerfish98

Ok thanks I will work on buying that. I still have croaking questions though

Wizzlewuzzle

Note that bulb requirements will be different if it's an albino Pacman, so do pay attention to that. Not sure what kind you're planning to get.

frogsanity12

75-85 is a good range. All of my males started to croak. They seem to croak at the same time about 9pm. There are a couple of indicators to tell if it is a male. Nuptial pads are a good indicator. Males get this brown spot (forgot the name of it) on the inside thumb. I've learned the hard way that high heat is not good. I've also notice that my males' chin hangs to allow for the expansion.

spencerfish98

So do you think I should heat it or not? My room may be warmer because I leave the window open. I also would like to purchase and albino. What requirements do they need? And from past experience at reptile shows, do they have their frogs sexed or not?

Wizzlewuzzle

Quote Originally Posted by spencerfish98 View Post
    So do you think I should heat it or not? My room may be warmer because I leave the window open. I also would like to purchase and albino. What requirements do they need? And from past experience at reptile shows, do they have their frogs sexed or not?
    Put a gauge in the tank and see what temp it actually is. Too hot, as frogsanity said, is not good, but you want to make sure it's not too cold either. 75 would be on the low end of okay nighttime temperatures. The tank is supposed to be warmer during the day than during the night. As for special albino requirements, that would just be in the type of bulb you use for heating/light (again, I'd search the other threads for this info, because I know some of the others have posted good info on it). I haven't been to a reptile show, so no idea about that. A lot of the sex indicators don't show up until the frogs get older, though, so if you're looking to get a baby, I'm guessing that its sex will just have to be a surprise.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Read this it will get you started on their care Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

As for sexing its hard to do with out experience with these frogs and most don't call until they're around 5.5 months of age.

Yes all males call of all species except for Goliath Frogs.

spencerfish98

I really appreciate all of your help. I want to know what the chances are that I would be bothered by a males croaking. I am sure you have owned males and females and I would like to know if all males will croak. And when I say this I mean not by persuasion by me or sounds/water.

Nationality
    [United States]

I really appreciate all of your help. I want to know what the chances are that I would be bothered by a males croaking. I am sure you have owned males and females and I would like to know if all males will croak. And when I say this I mean not by persuasion by me or sounds/water.
    Most call when humidity is right and pretty much whenever they feel like singing. It can be quite loud, but ite not a terrible sound. Usually they call in sets, but occasionally just one or two little ones. Go on YouTube and look up Pacman Frog mating calls.

Yes ALL male Pacman Frogs will call. Its inevitable.

arielgasca420

I have had a pacman for a year now and I have not heard him call. My pyxie just started calling and it wasnt very loud and only because he heard the crickets in my room. He was telling me that he was hungry because when I looked up he had his hands on the glass and looking straight at me. If you dont mind me asking, why wouldnt your parents be ok with it? if they think it is going to keep them up at night than I can assure you that these calls are random and not continuous throughout the night. i am sure you already know this but you mentioned about getting an albino. do not use lights.

spencerfish98

The whole deal is that my dad is tired of my crickets chriping that I feed to my geckos. My parents simply told me that it can not make any noise that might make them up. Also it will be living in my room so I dont really want to be woken up.

arielgasca420

The whole deal is that my dad is tired of my crickets chriping that I feed to my geckos. My parents simply told me that it can not make any noise that might make them up. Also it will be living in my room so I dont really want to be woken up.
    crickets are the most annoying which is why i keep them in my garage. The frogs however are each over a year and I have only hear two calls. it wasnt enough to wake me up.

spencerfish98

I appreciate the help but others have told me that the croaking of a male will inevitably happen, (above). When they do croak how often, how loud, and how long.

arielgasca420

well like I said before, I have never heard a pacman frog call but I do have a bullfrog that does. it is short. My bullfrog has only done one at a time. It is a deep and low croak, it almost sounds human. it scared me the first time I heard it because it was pitch black in my room. it is not continuous and he isnt loud. he could get louder as he gets older but it is nowhere as loud as the western toads we have in northern CA. My advice would be to not get one just because it might just take one time for your parents to tell you to get rid of it. my parents' rule is "nothing with fangs"

spencerfish98

My plan: Find a female that is confirmed. I know how to take care of it whether it is an albino or not. At least I think. Albinos can not have very bright, powerful bulbs which I will use to heat the tank with a 5.5 inch flukers clamp with a exo terra heat glo if it albino and an exo terra daylight if it is non albino. All will tell after the reptile show this weekend.

arielgasca420

My plan: Find a female that is confirmed. I know how to take care of it whether it is an albino or not. At least I think. Albinos can not have very bright, powerful bulbs which I will use to heat the tank with a 5.5 inch flukers clamp with a exo terra heat glo if it albino and an exo terra daylight if it is non albino. All will tell after the reptile show this weekend.
    http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...man-sound.html
    you should read this forum before you get high hopes of a female

Nationality
    [United States]

My male Cody calls fairly loud. It's generally pretty random, but he calls most frequently right after being misted or fogged and about 30 minutes after lights out. When he calls, it's usually 4 very short calls before he pauses a while. He usually does 2-5 sets of calls (sometimes longer at night) until he stops calling. He calls on average of 0-2 times a day, depending on his temperament, and depending on when I fed him last. Some nights he calls 8 or 9 different times. He lives in my bedroom, and his calls are loud enough to wake me up sometimes.

Most people I ask say that you aren't likely to hear a female from the other room, and that they usually don't make noises unless someone is bothering them. I think a female would be fine. If your bedroom is near a family room, chances are they will be able to hear a male Pacman Frog call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information