Thread: Hydro/ABG/Moss/Litter setup appropriate? or overkill for WTF "natural" viv??

dadmccabe

Default Hydro/ABG/Moss/Litter setup appropriate? or overkill for WTF "natural" viv??

Hey all,

ARGH! I may, or may not, have mites in my WTF's viv.. I saw some little black bugs (hovering on fresh frog waste) once, and I threw them out. Got some helpful feedback (on the forum) suggesting these things might be mites. Unfortunately, I did not take pics - so I cant be certain. I haven't seen anymore since (been at least a week) and I've been keeping a very close eye on everything - to the point of obsession. Ps, my wife thinks I should be committed. There aren't any bugs visible on my animal.

Anyway, I'm thinking about starting a whole new viv just to be sure. And I was contemplating going from "Eggcrate flse bottom / screen / plantation soil" to "Hydro / screen / ABG / Sphagnum Moss* / Leaf litter" (as found on Josh's frogs) for my substrate...

Josh's lists this a 'Dart Frog' substrate formula. So, is it overkill for a White's? or better question = is it wrong for a White's?

and... if I go this route, what can I substitute for Sphagnum Moss layer?? I've read too many posts stating that moss can really cause impaction issues with White's. My goal is a 100% natural Viv... so I want the best substrate for planting, and of course, for frog health.

thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hydro/ABG/Moss/Litter setup appropriate? or overkill for WTF "natural" viv??

In my RETF tank I have Hydro/screen/ABG Mix/ABG Mix/leaf litter. The ABG Mix has moss mixed into it and holds the moisture pretty good, and the leaf litter keeps the moisture in the soil. This mixture has been doing a pretty good job at holding the moisture. Hope that helps.

dadmccabe

Default Re: Hydro/ABG/Moss/Litter setup appropriate? or overkill for WTF "natural" viv??

so leaf litter on top the ABG and I'm good to go? great!

Nationality
    [United States]

That should be good, the setup you were looking at with the moss was most likely for PDFs which require 20-30% higher humidity then a whites. If you are low on humidity remember that live plants and running water help to up humidity. So there are a few ways to help up the humidity without out using moss if need be.

dadmccabe

Yes, it was (for PDF's) but I have a slight obsession w/ moss in general. So it's aesthetics more than humidity I don't want to get into running water features, but def plan on using all live plants. I've had luck so far w/ plantings, and overall temp/humidity control, but then these little bugs appeared, so that's why I'm planning a new build.. although the bugs seem to be gone now.. hmmm....

Nationality
    [United States]

I love the way that moss looks in a enclosure as well, I used to have it. All it took was a little impaction scare and away went all the moss. The aesthetics are not worth the risk in my opinion. Let the plants add the aesthetics, you can still make a really sweet viv using leaf litter!

dadmccabe

Ah hah! so it's ALL MOSS I should be careful of?? (is all moss Sphagnum Moss??) I will certainly take your advice. Not worth the risk. So glad you've been corresponding w/ me. If no moss, can you suggest a "blanketing" type of foliage? I'm looking to avoid sprayfoam or clay backgrounds. Not opposed to it, but I want the wood and plants to "grow together" enough to form the background.. I thought moss might do that.. something that will spread and connect elements...?

Nationality
    [United States]

I know that the most popular mosses can cause impaction (Sphagnum, Frog moss, Terrarium Moss). Those are the 3 most popular sold by Zoo Med. I have tried all of those and had a scare with 2 out of the 3 and the 1 that I did not have a scare with I read impaction stories about online. Whites are very aggressive eaters and when they jump for food they will fill their mouth with the food and some stuff around it. So if a cricket can jump on it there is a chance that the frog will grab whatever the crickets on when they eat it.

Thread Information