Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cody ate plastic decor

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Cody ate plastic decor

so sorry for your loss MeTres, RIP Cody.

as for other things - I can tell that people on this forum helped me way more then any vet by far! there is nothing like hands on experience and advice from breeders and keepers who know what they are talking about. there are just a few vets who are specializing in herps, and out of them only small percentage know anything about frogs. I know that for a fact but that is in US, same in Canada, I don't think there are any board certified herp vets, so the best case scenario you will be dealing with general practice vets who may have been to a few exotic animal conferences and read a few book about exotics, but with animal this small and having such a small possibilities to do anything surgically I doubt vet would help anyway here.
    advice on feeding outside the cage - well this may work for some, but in some instances - they will better starve then go there, why to get them more stresses then they need to be, in my particular case - if I feed mine in separate container he would be starve to death, only 1 out of 4 frogs is ok with tong feeding and that is under condition he is in his cage.

so my advice is - love your frogs, do your research - find ALL that you can on your particular frog, ask for advice no matter how stupid the question may sound, listen to what people have to say and do your very best for your little "baby" - provide the best conditions he can possibly have, and be prepare to pay as much as you need for all that stuff, including visit to a vet when you know it'll help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wizzlewuzzle

I'm so sorry for your loss

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    I simply pointed out the cold hard facts Ra........also, pretty sure that my advice is not what would run folks off from this forum.......but your rude and condescending remarks might.
    And just for the record, I have an excellent vet that does specialize in exotics/reptiles & amphibians........I did ask his advice about this after filling him in on the situation. He said that if they couldn't get the frog to a vet, the course of action MeTree took was what he would have considered as the best action other than out-right putting the frog down. I agree with him that at least attempting to save the animal is better than letting it sit and suffer a slow death by starvation or damage caused by a foreign object.
    You seem to think that you are the only educated person on this forum. You are not. You might want to try helping these folks with advice instead of trolling around just waiting for a tragedy to occur where you can then scold the people involved for not doing what YOU would have done blah, blah, blah. I have yet to see you even attempt to help with advice, but you sure try to act as though you know all. You don't. Get off your High Horse already.
    I see your point, but I just dont want to see people visiting the forum and getting the idea that taking the animal to the vet, or even calling one is an outright waste of time.

Some interesting input has come out of the scenario for everybody to learn from; submerging a frog in water can cause it to release items grasped in the mouth, feeding your frogs inside the enclosure can be risky and feeding on a flat smooth surface is probably better, and calling a vet in an animal emergency medical situation should be the first action taken.

Its my opinion that he should have called a vet, if that puts me on a high horse than thats fine. I think most pet owners would agree with that. Even if the vet couldnt help at all, at least he sought proffessional advice first. My criticism really doesn't stretch any further than the fact that he didnt call a vet regarding the course of action taken in light of the problem.

I'd be interested to know what kind of procedure he performed. I'm sure very few frog keepers have ever been in a situation where they have had to perform an emergency edoscopic removal of a foreign object.

Nationality
    [United States]

A lot of vets won't give advice over the phone without an office visit. If they give advice without having seen the animal, then it looks really bad if they misdiagnose or recommend the wrong thing. If you DO have a herp vet you can get to, just an office visit can cost an arm and a leg. As much as we all love our frogs, sometimes that's just not financially an option.

Like Grif said, a lot of times they will research the animal once it's brought in (Not knocking vets though; my local vet recently helped me treat a rescue-reptile. Didn't even charge me for the office visit, only meds, since he told me outright he didn't know much about exotics).

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry I haven't been posting. My internet went down. I'm using public wi-fi.

I will always appreciate kind advice and suggestions from you guys, but I would really appreciate it if some of you would stop telling me over and over what I did wrong, and what you would have done. I will be the first to admit that I made a few mistakes, but I did everything I could to counter. You guys, I just lost Cody, who I've had for over 10 months. Critism is an important part of teaching, but it needs to be done in a polite manner. Try to be helpful, but also try to be considerate as well, especially in cases like this.

Once again, I appreciate all the support. Cody will be well missed. I finished his memorial video, which can be found here;
    Rest In Peace Cody [HD] - YouTube

Thanks guys!

-MeTree

Nationality
    [United States]

He was very beautiful Stanton. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Nationality
    [United States]

Aww, it's really sweet that you made a video for him.

Everybody makes mistakes. Sometimes people get lucky and never have anything bad happen, and sometimes they don't, but if anyone keeps herps long enough there will eventually be something they look back and wish they had done differently. Seems like Cody was very well cared for while he was with you. Sorry again for your loss.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information