Thread: Poor Little Toad Came Home in a Boot from Honduras...needs a home!

Cynthia2000

Default Poor Little Toad Came Home in a Boot from Honduras...needs a home!

Hello! My bosse's son spent 4 months workign at an orphange in Honduras. He got back to Columbus Oh on Friday (December 18, 2009) and on Monday when he pulled his boots out of his suitcase and started to put them on....a 2 1/2 inch toad popped out. The poor thing must have been in his boot since Thursday (December 17th) when he left for home. Well, they just put it in a plastic container...and figured it would die. I heard about it and went over to pick the toad up.

I have no desire to own a toad (we foster dogs and cats and own several cats and dogs of our own as well as two rescued hamsters and an African Frog that came froma Kindergarten classroom.) I put the little guy into a 1 gallon aquarium with some moist paper towels on the bottom (he has to be dehydrated, right?) I don't know what else I should be doing for him in the meantime.....but I would LVE to find him/her a good hoe where he won't be used for snake food or harmed in any way. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Cynthia
    Last edited by Cynthia2000; December 21st, 2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: misspelling...add pictures.

spooky

Default Re: Poor Little Toad Came Home in a Boot from Honduras...needs a home!

He's a cutie!!
    He may appreciate a hiding place in his tank He's less likely to get too stressed if he has somewhere to hide away. Sounds like he's been through the wars recently and will most probably want to hide away for a while. He may also appreciate something to eat (crickets?)

Deejay Mayweather

you need to supply him/her with some heat as cane toads thrive at nice temperatures as many toads/frogs.I dont think no one would use this as live foods as its toxins would be fatal to another reptile/amphibian.

shame your so far as i would of had the toad good luck.

keysgate

HELLO, My first thought would be for you to take him to a pet store that deals with selling frogs and toads. Being in a large area such as Columbus you should have a few around to try. After explaining how you got him, they may be willing to take him off your hands. If this does not work out I am a couple hundred miles north of you. E-mail my profile and maybe we can work something out. I have 3 Canes now and have room for another (my wife would say otherwise . In the meantime the care would be similar to the African Frog that you already have. Also if you have kids in the house, you may want them to wash hands after handling (as with any organism), as they are somewhat toxic if they were to put their fingers in their mouth or eyes after handling. Good Luck!!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would not take him to a pet store - he'll just end up in some kid's terrarium dying a lingering death. Better to find someone on here or another amphibian-centric site who is interested in keeping him and has a clue.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Deejay Mayweather

I would agree with john on that one.

whiteroses91

uh...I wouldn't take him to a pet store just because I think he is an illegal imagrant. Even tho it was an accident, I think it's illegal to bring them home, to the US. I would surely take him in, but I don't know anything about taking care of frogs like him, I have only had tree frogs in the past.

Kurt

There is a basic toad care article here.

Thread Information