Thread: Taiwan frog pics - tree frogs

Default Taiwan frog pics - tree frogs

Hi there,

I just joined the forum a few days ago. I don't keep any frogs, but do enjoy going out and spotting them in the wild. I just thought I'd post up a few pics of species I've seen over the past few weeks. I'd prefer to post all the photos together, but I guess the forum is pretty much divided into sections by frog type. (If anyone has suggestions of a better section to which I should post all frog/toad photos, I'd be happy to hear.)

So anyway, here are a bunch of tree frog pics, all taken in or near Taipei. Descriptions below each pair of photos.

Polypedates megacephalus, known locally as the white-lipped or white-jawed tree frog. A species fairly widespread throughout Taiwan, China, Myanmar, as far as NE India.

Rhacophorus taipeianus, the Taipei green tree frog. An endemic species restricted to northern Taiwan. I'll have to get out to take better pictures of this one ... my pictures don't do it justice.

Kurixalus idiootocus, the MeinTien tree frog (after type locality, I think). A very small species, and another one restricted to Taiwan, though fairly widespread throughout the island.

Rhacophorus prasinatus, the emerald tree frog. Another beauty, and like the Taipei green tree frog restricted to northern Taiwan.

Hyla chinensis, the Chinese tree toad, the only member of Hylidae present in Taiwan. Widespread throughout eastern China and Taiwan.

Okay then, that's it for now. Hope these upload properly. I'll post photos of some other Taiwanese species in some other section or sections later on. Thanks for looking!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Xquirrel

Default Re: Taiwan frog pics - tree frogs

I'm soory, I could not view your pics, however, I do own 5 Polypedates megacephalus in my vivarium. I caught them as tiny tadpoles and raised them now to young frogs. They are super easy to raise as they are tolerant to a wide range of habitats and this made a great experience for me to keep frogs as a starter.
    Name:  IMG_2435.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  75.3 KBName:  IMG_2315.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  38.4 KBName:  IMG_0004.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  75.9 KBName:  IMG_0005.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  80.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Xquirrel View Post
    I'm soory, I could not view your pics, ...
    Oh, darn it! I uploaded them to the gallery and then linked from there. Maybe I need to change the settings on the album or something. They show up okay for me ...

Anybody have any ideas what I might be doing wrong, or an easier way to attach pics?

Your pictures show up fine for me as well, and they're visible in your album. You could always do one big post in the "General Discussion & News" forum? The "Artwork" forum might apply as well but I'm not sure photography was intended to be included. We could probably use a "Photography" forum for gratuitous frog pictures...

Thanks for sharing. It's always interesting to see frogs from around the world!

Just another couple of pictures of Taiwanese tree frogs taken on a trip a few days ago. No new species spotted (I think ... I'll have to check some descriptions before deciding for sure), but I thought these little guys looked particularly cute.

Oh, and a little correction to my previous pic post. It seems that Taiwan actually has two Polypedates species ... the indigenous P. braueri and recently introduced P. megacephalus. I haven't been able to get good enough info to be able to decide which species the pictured frogs belong to. Irritating! I hope the scientists know what they're talking about, as I've read that the Forestry Bureau is carrying out a purge on local P. megacephalus.

Hyla chinensis ... he almost seemed to be posing for me!

Rhacophorus prasinatus and Hyla chinensis ... just hanging out, looking like best buds!

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Great pictures! I wish I had such good looking native frogs

Keep 'em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Raya View Post
    Great pictures! I wish I had such good looking native frogs
    Thanks! Don't be so hard on Swedish amphibians though ... you have a pretty decent selection there. Hyla arborea isn't so very different from Hyla chinensis in appearance, and you have a nice bunch of toads as well as the frogs. And newts too! I have to go up to 3000 metres a.s.l. to see salamaders here.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Well we do have Bufo viridis wich is a beautiful species. It's very rare though and you can only find it in the south of Sweden. Where I live we only have Bufo bufo and Rana temporaria I think.
    But don't get me wrong, I really like Bufo bufos. But they're a little dull looking

ariesheiress

Thank you for sharing the lovely pics ! And welcome to the Forum!

mrzoggs

I wish i could spot frogs where i live. i went all through the swamp area behind my house. Plenty of ticks. No frogs. Hear them call all night though.

M8kinPancakes

Those are nice pictures and frogs. What camera do you use?

Wow love the pics! Thanks for sharing!!!!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Thanks for all the nice comments.

I think it would be difficult to take bad pics of such good looking fellas, and my camera's nothing special. A basic Casio compact with a x10 zoom. I do envy the crisp, clear quality you get from a good DSLR though ... if I win the lottery I'll be in the market for one.

Mr Zoggs, good luck with the spotting. It can be an infuriating business, no doubt about it. Sometimes I hear them calling but as soon as I get close they go quiet. I have to stand there for ages waiting for them to call again, and even then it can take a while to locate them. Sometimes right under my nose all long. But like you there have been a couple of occasions when I've had to just walk away in frustration from a bush that an apparently invisible frog was calling from.

EDIT: I've just added some more pictures of terrestrial/aquatic Taiwanese frogs/toads over in the General Discussion section, as suggested by UncleChester.

http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...tml#post121261
    Last edited by numpty; July 1st, 2012 at 03:16 AM.

A little trip south of my usual stomping grounds, and a few more species spotted and checked off the list.

Buergeria robusta, or the robust Buerger's frog. Comes in many colours, but I especially like the yellow.

Buergeria japonica. This comes in a similar range of colours to B. robusta, but is quite a bit smaller. Notable for being able to tolerate hot springs water, and can be found in temperatures of up to 40 degrees C (104 F for Americans and older Brits). Not really a tree frog, but a member of Rhacophoridae, so I'm including it here anyway. Don't be angry.

Finally a snap of a bamboo stump containing what I assume to be the tadpoles of Kurixalus eiffingeri. Do I get to check this one off the list? I don't think so ... I'll keep on looking for adults, but it's proving a challenge. A species notable for laying eggs in bamboo stumps, cracks of trees, etc, and then exhibiting parental care: the father guards the eggs until they hatch, and the mothor visits the tadpoles and feeds them unfertilized eggs. Awww!

I have a few more pictures in the other thread mentioned above (a narrow-mouth and salamander). Don't know why I bothered splitting these posts into tree frogs and other amphibians ... perhaps because growing up in the UK, tree frogs seem especially exotic and interesting to me!

Thanks for looking!

Thread Information