Thread: Looking for the right species of PDF...First time owner

AReaHerps

Question Looking for the right species of PDF...First time owner

I know there are tons of topics already with many people requesting advice on what would be the best first PDF. Well this topic is basically the same with a few more specifics I need. I'll be constructing my own viv but I need some help on size requirements and what kind of PDF I should be looking for. This build will be for my office area which is often open so the vivarium will need to be quiet in respect for others. The sound of a running waterfall will have to be the loudest part of this build which means NO loud frog calls. Speaking of frog calls...does anyone have a link for me to listen to different species calls to compare the loudness.

Specific Goals in mind:
    • Hardy species
    • Quiet calls
    • Able to go 2-4 days without food other than established springtails and isopods in the cage (tropical springtails and dwarf white isopods is what I had in mind to have inside the tank)
    • Arboreal or Terrestrial species (unsure) - I love arboreal snakes so an arboreal PDF would be cool but not necessary.
    • I can fit a viv that is up to 36"L x 20"D x 24-36"H - My initial thought was get a 20G or 29G high aquarium.
    • I would like to fit as many frogs as I can within that foot print or volume of space. I know it depends on species but how much space do I need for the species you would recommend. Please include that.
    • Not interested in breeding but if it does happen...what the heck do I do with them!?!?

From all the research I've done, I'm looking at Tincs as my main choice. They seem easy and they are beautiful with a bunch of different morphs. I like that they can get larger which seems to me that I have greater freedom to offer a variety of prey items.

Thank you in advance to everyone that will take the time to read this and think about it. I sincerely appreciate your responses and I plan on taking many progression photos on this new venture.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

AReaHerps

Anyone?

Sent from my Android Tapatalk App!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Looking for the right species of PDF...First time owner

My first Darts were Tincs. I love them, they started shy and now they have gotten to know me and no longer run when I enter the room. I have a pair of Auratus, my favorite for their color. They however are rather shy and very rarely are out when I am in the room, that might change, they are only about 5-6 months old. I also have a pair of Vents. They seem to be out all the time. But I have only had them for about a week so that may change once they get a little more used to their surroundings. They however are Thumbnails so they require a little more work to find and watch them.

With any of the darts I am not sure I would go 4 days without feeding, especially if they are babies. When they are babies their stomachs are so small that sometimes they will eat a few times a day. However if you do have the sprintails in the tank then that may suffice. For full grown adults however I am not sure if the spring tails will be enough. Plus if half of their diet is spring tails then that may not be good because the PDFs will need calcium and vitamins regularly and they may not get what they need on a every 4th day feeding. Just some food for thought (no pun intended).

As far as how many, if you go 20 gal. I would recommend 2 at the most 3, for a 29 gallon I would say 3-4. With Tincs the females are very aggressive towards other females so you really want only 1 female in a tank or you could end up with a dead little frog. if you were to get 4 you would want 4 males or 1 female and 3 males. I am not sure and maybe a Leucs owner will chime in but I think that Leucs are great group PDFs and there are no issues with the sex. Plus Leucs are very bright and from what I have seen they are not nearly as shy as the other species that I have talked about.

I hope that I have helped you out with your questions.

AReaHerps

That is definitely helpful, thank you! The 4 day feeding would be extremely rare. More often than not it would be 2 days at the most because I'm off on weekends. I definitely would rather have a peaceful group. Especially if I purchase babies and would have no idea what sex they are. Thanks again for chiming in. really appreciate it!

Sent from my Android Tapatalk App!

Thread Information