Thread: Pillbugs as feeders?

Maddybelle

Default Pillbugs as feeders?

Pillbugs, rollypollies, whatever you want to call 'em, would they work for a leopard frog? There's been a population explosion around here, and most are HUGE! Since they're readily available, numerous, and I read that their shells are made of calcium instead of chitin (sp?), would they be just as good, or better, than crickets? We have a colony in the garden that we feed well, so they're already "gutloaded".

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Murray of the Deep

Default Re: Pillbugs as feeders?

Quote Originally Posted by Maddybelle View Post
    Pillbugs, rollypollies, whatever you want to call 'em, would they work for a leopard frog? There's been a population explosion around here, and most are HUGE! Since they're readily available, numerous, and I read that their shells are made of calcium instead of chitin (sp?), would they be just as good, or better, than crickets? We have a colony in the garden that we feed well, so they're already "gutloaded".
    No chitin will kill then just like what happened to my pacman frog it will constipate and die and pillbugs are dirty

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah pillbugs are mostly made out of are hard shell and are related to crabs in some way i believe and are very hard to digest

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

RAISING YOUR OWN INSECTS FOR FROG AND TOAD FOOD OFFERED BY Pollywogs World of Frogs
    From what I've read, they're fine... just be sure they come from an area that doesn't have pesicide, fertilizers, etc. as those things are toxic. I've fed my white's 'rolly pollies' before, and he's doing just fine.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

I read that their shells are made of calcium instead of chitin (sp?)
    The exoskeleton of insects is composed primarily of chitin and various proteins; while the exoskeleton of crustaceans contains BOTH chitin and calcium. So while they may contain more calcium, they still contain chitin. This combination with the complex carbohydrate is what generally gives crustaceans a much harder and more rigid exoskeleton for protection. = )

Being a crustacean, isopods will offer a little variety to the diet. They can bring to table certain micronutrients that is typically not present in insects. That being said, they aren't exactly the most meaty little suckers and they do have a lot of shell, so no they are not better than crickets. Feed them sparingly and focus on some good quality staple feeder insects. Furthermore, be wary about feeding anything from outside unless you are 110% positive that there is no fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides, etc that the feeder may have come into contact with.
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreH View Post
    The exoskeleton of insects is composed primarily of chitin and various proteins; while the exoskeleton of crustaceans contains BOTH chitin and calcium. So while they may contain more calcium, they still contain chitin. This combination with the complex carbohydrate is what generally gives crustaceans a much harder and more rigid exoskeleton for protection. = )

Being a crustacean, isopods will offer a little variety to the diet. They can bring to table certain micronutrients that is typically not present in insects. That being said, they aren't exactly the most meaty little suckers and they do have a lot of shell, so no they are not better than crickets. Feed them sparingly and focus on some good quality staple feeder insects. Furthermore, be wary about feeding anything from outside unless you are 110% positive that there is no fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides, etc that the feeder may have come into contact with.
    This is very interesting! Thanks
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Maddybelle

Hmmm, well then I guess not? My property is very bug friendly, LOL. We don't use pesticides, fungisides, or weed killers, and we only use organic fertilizers in the garden. The bugs stick around because we basically live in the forest and there's lots of bug food. Is there any other wild critter I could use? We've got worms, we've got snails, we've got giant ants. You name it, it lives in my yard!

mrzoggs

i wouldnt recommend feeding anything from outside. im not sure how far bugs can travel but just because you dont use pesticides, doesnt mean your neighbor doesnt either. i would suggest buying a culture from a pet store or website or just buying some crickets.

Thread Information