Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Sick White's TF

Default HELP! Sick White's TF

The frog was fine last night when I fed it, and even this morning, now its lying on its back and I tried to move it and it did not like that very much. It is still breathing but kind of writhing around from time to time. It's the 4th so no vets are open! Legs look kind of red, I removed the other frog from the tank.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: HELP! Sick White's TF

Yea it looks pretty red in the pic, I am not sure what would cause this. I would call the vet tomorrow morning, I would flip him over and but him in a hospital tank. Sorry I am no help not sure what he could have. Has to be some sort of infection.

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

You have him on moss, he looks somewhat bloated. Impaction perhaps? Did you feed him on the moss?

Hospital tank, do a general cleaning on the original tank. In general, how is the other frog?

Toss out the moss or feed outside in the future.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I agree. Not much one can suggest besides a vet visit and a safe stress free place until the visit.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Quote Originally Posted by frogged View Post
    You have him on moss, he looks somewhat bloated. Impaction perhaps? Did you feed him on the moss?

Hospital tank, do a general cleaning on the original tank. In general, how is the other frog?

Toss out the moss or feed outside in the future.
    I have been reading a lot about moss and impaction, and since I fed them last night I'd say that most likely. It is definitely bloated, the other frog is fine however it is a good bit larger that then one pictured. I am going to tare down the tank today and rebuild, what shall I use over moss, just dirt? I originally started using the moss because the frogs were always covered in dirt.

Right now i have the frog in a tilted fly culture cup with some distilled water with a pinch of salt at the recommendations of a friend.

The culture cup is in the 18x18x24 that both frogs were housed in originally leaned up against a branch in case it wants to climb out. I called and left a message for the vet but chances are that I wont be able to get it seen until tomorrow. Hopefully it makes it that long.

Ok now there is a pinkish bubble emerging from its vent. See picture, any ideas?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Tripe46 View Post
    Ok now there is a pinkish bubble emerging from its vent. See picture, any ideas?

Babe has a prolapse... possibly caused by impaction from the moss.
    Vet ASAP.
    In the mean time, try a sugar bath? search the forum for recipes. this may help.
    goodluck
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

mrzoggs

put him in a honey bath with warm water. 5 drops of honey dissolved in some dechlorinated water. try to keep the water warm. i used the search button and someone recommended KY jelly and a q-tip to gently push it back in.

and you probably need to feed him different for a while so it doesnt happen again. something softer with less shell. like ground earthworms with some calcium powder. i would let him be for a while after a honey bath and see what happens. post on here to keep us updated.

Edit: i think it was grifs post that i had seen when i searched. so kudos go to him :P

Nationality
    [United States]

You can use honey in place of sugar. Place the frog in a luke warm bath of de-chlirinated water that has 4 to 5 drops of honey dissolved in it. The bath should be no deeper than up to the frogs chin.

Now this bath is also used to treat impaction so watch carefully and keep the frog in the bath until the swelling reduces in the prolapse. You can use a cotton swab to gently replace the prolapse back in. Get a vet appointment ASAP to make sure the frog is ok even if you get the prolapse back in.

The swelling appears to be getting worse in the prolapse I'm not comfortable trying to push it back in I'm afraid that I will hurt it worse. I definitely wont be able to have a vet see it until tomorrow

I switched him from the sugar bath to the honey bath as well, I will keep a close eye on it.

Ok, I went for it. It was super gross but I was careful. The prolapse is back inside!

mrzoggs

now i dont think your supposed to feed him for a while. maybe a few days...maybe more. not sure. but when you do feed him, i would syringe feed him earth worms or something softer than crickets. just do a search on here or google. it would probably be more informative than I since ive never had to deal with this sort of problem.

ps. make sure you also get a fecal examination done at the vet. parasites can sometimes cause this problem.

I have an appointment with the vet at 10:45 this morning, they want $70 just to walk in the door! Is that a lot or pretty standard?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think that is a lot. 40 to 45 would be fair and in my area pretty common fee for the visit charge.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]

How is your frog holding up? I'm glad you're going to the vet. Sorry I missed your post, I was at work. How was his belly after gently putting the herniated area back in? Did the swelling go down?

I agree with the above. It looks like an impaction / intestine obstruction. The honey helps them to pass the obstructing substance, if it is possible to pass. It also provides them with some "sugar", similar to the way a diabetic person would need if not eating, and hydrates them. Stay away from using distilled water. Use dechlorinated tap water or spring water for soaking. Distilled water is water with all minerals removed, and it actually pulls important nutrients out of the frog when soaking.

I would pick up some plain clear pedialyte solution. If it's an impaction or obstruction I would skip feeding him for about 2 to 3 days and do a 1:10 soak of 1 part plain pedialyte to 10 parts dechlorinated water solution, and soak him for 15 minutes each day. You can do the honey soaks too. I would do one in the morning and one in the evening to separate them a bit. Once his belly is completely back to it's normal size give him one more day of gut rest, then try very small pieces of earth worm or mushed up food, still following your calcium schedule. Reptaboost works nicely too. It's a bit like baby formula for amphibians, and works nicely.

Good luck at the vet! I hope your baby pulls through!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Just got back from the vet. It seems that it is not impaction after all. The frog pooped when the vet picked it up, it was really watery. The fecal exam came back negative for parasites. They gave it some sort of dewormer orally while we were there and sent me home with antibiotics to apply twice daily. The vet said that the frog looks septic, I said that I was not optimistic based on the looks and demeanor of the frog, and the vet sort of agreed but I hoping it gets better!!! All said and done it was $130! However it's only fair to give the frog the best shot I can at survival. I have attached a pic of the receipt in case anyone has any comments on what treatments were given.

mrzoggs

i wish you the best of luck. maybe your frog pooped out the impaction already? idk... you can also email dr frye and let him know all the information you have given us. he has saved many frogs including mine just from a few simple emails. if you do not already have his information it is posted on this forum. I wish you the best of luck and i have a lot of respect for someone who doesnt mind taking their amphibian to the vet when help is needed. Once again i wish you and your frog the best of luck. If i think of any other useful information i will surely let you know.

Unfortunately the frog has died. It was not breathing this morning when I went to check on it. The vet recommended that I ditch everything that is in the cage, clean it and start over before putting the healthy frog back in. I'm guessing everyone here would agree? Is there any way to save the wood pieces?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information