Thread: A few temperature questions

DC101

Default A few temperature questions

Hey guys!

So, i have finished my vivarium and having a few little problems with the temperature.

Its winter now where i live and it gets around 16 degrees Celsius during the day. If i have the infrared light on, one side of the viv is warm (26-28) and the other
    is fairly cold (20-22)

So, is it alright to have half of the viv warm and the other cool, or is this bad?

I have a temperature monitor in my viv that monitors the temperature. If it gets above the temp i set it too, it turns off the light and vice versa.

Its hard to change the temperature for day and night because the infrared light stays the same temp but if i have it off, it gets to around 14 degrees celsius.

Im afraid if i leave the heat light on all the time that there won't be distinctive day and night differences and it may be bad for the frogs.
    This will only be a problem during winter because there won't be a need for the heat light during summer.

Thanks guys!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: A few temperature questions

First of all, it's impossible to say if the specific temperatures are good or bad without know what species you're planning on keeping in there.

As you (hopefully) know, frogs are ectothermic animals and generally do a lot better with a thermal gradient rather than an constant overall temperature throughout the entire enclosure. So, having a cooler and hotter side is a plus (however, the specific temperatures of said gradient should be adjusted accordingly to the species which it will house).
    Like you said, it's not great to have both heating and lightning coming from the same source, since you will have a problem in the winter. I would consider getting rid of the red light, and either use a ceramic heater or a UTH (mounted on a side of the tank, with a dimmer or thermostat), in addition to a ordinary light-source on a timer. This way, you'll be able to keep a constant day/night-cycle and maintain a proper thermal gradient.

DC101

Default Re: A few temperature questions

The frogs im going to get are 3 whites tree frogs (green tree frogs)

Ill try my best in keeping the heating right. Ill move the temperature probe to the centre of the viv so that it will work better and not have the same temperature for day and night.

Thanks Martin!

Thread Information