Thread: Toad is not eating... What is next?

cay1000

Default Toad is not eating... What is next?

I have a toad I caught in my back yard for the past 2 years now. She has always been healthy and happy until recently. About 60 days ago she stopped eating and just before that her tongue wasn't accurate. To correct the issue I started using calcium powder on her crickets (I fed the crickets a drink that had calcium in it but I didnt think it was enough). Also used a vitamin that is to increase appetite in frogs/toads. She seemed to pull through and was acting normal again. Until about 2 and a half weeks ago. She vomited a few times and has stopped eating. Fearing a blockage about a week ago I force fed some mineral oil. She not very active and is getting skinny. I think it might be time to force feed. She spends a lot of time in her pool that I am filling with bottled drinking water in case something from the tap is causing issues. I am using the appetite vitamins but she has no interest in crickets at all. house is always at about 74 to 75 degrees.

Any suggestions? I hate vets but if they have something I cant give I will take her. I think force feeding will make me feel better but I am more interested in what will make her feel better.

Thanks for your help,

Concerned Cay1000

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member lindsayshocking's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    West Sacramento, California, United States
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Toad is not eating... What is next?

I've force fed toads in the past. Sometimes it does work and they keep the food down. The problem is that often times, I've found they reject the food and vomit it up. Then you're faced with the problem of not just your toad not eating, but they've been severely stressed out. It's really hard to say. Do you handle her often? Sometimes when my frogs don't eat, I leave them alone and they de-stress a bit and then eat again.

I don't think force feeding her would be the worst idea. I just hope she keeps it down. Ultimately, there might be another issue that needs to be addressed, though :/

Good luck...

cay1000

Quote Originally Posted by lindsayshocking View Post
    I've force fed toads in the past. Sometimes it does work and they keep the food down. The problem is that often times, I've found they reject the food and vomit it up. Then you're faced with the problem of not just your toad not eating, but they've been severely stressed out. It's really hard to say. Do you handle her often? Sometimes when my frogs don't eat, I leave them alone and they de-stress a bit and then eat again.

I don't think force feeding her would be the worst idea. I just hope she keeps it down. Ultimately, there might be another issue that needs to be addressed, though :/

Good luck...
    Thank you very much for the response!

I do handle her but since she has been sick I have left her alone for the most part. I have not force fed her yet. I am incline to force feed her soon if what I am going to attempt next doesn't yield results. I feel encouraged because she was being a bit active earlier today. I think she has gobbled up some of her skin. I keep going back and forth as to the force feeding issue. I just don't want to do it if it isn't needed.

I neglected to talk about one of her symptoms because I didn't realize it was relevant. Her excrement is clear, slimy, stringy with a bit of white in it. I thought it was because she eats her skin and it was coming out like it was going in... I think she may have bacteria/parasites because of the poo and her eating symptoms. I purchased "General Cure" that has 250mg metronidazole and 95mg praziquantel for fish. It calls for 1 packet per 10 gallons. I don't have 10 gallons and not a real way to measure so I am going to put a (very) small pinch in her water dish and mix it around. If it has a strong odor or if my hand swells up like a balloon I may add more water before I add a toad. Too late my wife added the toad to the water as I am typing this. I read this isn't a harmful treatment and is gentle so I am good with it. If she is going to spend all her time in the water why not give her fish meds right?

At what point should I force feed? It has been at least two and a half weeks since she ate. She is responsive just not as active as usual. She looks skinny but I not sure how to gauge how skinny is too skinny. I think she is eating her skin but I am not 100% I would say I am 80%. Would you force feed now?

Thanks again for your help. If you have any suggestions/ideas I am open to them.

Cay1000

Toads are a pain in the a$$. I have had so many experiences like this. I currently have three toads that are not eating.
    If your temps and everything are ok, then something is wrong. Your toad is probably sick. You could have it tested for Chytrid and Ranavirus (it would cost about $40). Could you give some more info on the symptoms?

I probably wouldn't try force-feeding. It's stressful and can do more harm than good.

cay1000

Quote Originally Posted by n321 View Post
    Toads are a pain in the a$$. I have had so many experiences like this. I currently have three toads that are not eating.
    If your temps and everything are ok, then something is wrong. Your toad is probably sick. You could have it tested for Chytrid and Ranavirus (it would cost about $40). Could you give some more info on the symptoms?

I probably wouldn't try force-feeding. It's stressful and can do more harm than good.
    Symptoms... She is very tired and wont eat. Her excrement is white and the one I just looked at has some green in it. At times she gets curious and will walk around but most of her time is in her pool. When she first came down with whatever it is she vomited at least twice. About 4 days ago she weakly struck at a cricket once. She wont even track them or notice them now. She seems strong but is getting small.

I just finished force feeding her gently. I don't think it freaked her out too much and I did it very quick... It was less than 3 minutes and done. She did express her dislike for the experience with a bit of fighting, pipping and a little pee. As soon as I finished she calmed down. I did not see your post until after it was done. Do I take her to a vet for that test or can I get a kit somewhere? Is the treatment gentle and ok for a toad without that issue? I am ok with pulling a "Dr. House" and treating her for everything as long as it wont cause her harm. This little toad has been in my family for over two years and hasn't been sick. I may have been overfeeding her... I did find her in the wild (my backyard in the garden by the tomatoes).

I am currently soaking her in the medication I mentioned earlier and am giving her apatite drip vitamins on her skin. I really dislike the thought of force feeding. Of course I don't want my inaction to be the reason for her death. I am sure I just force fed her for my own selfish piece of mind. I hope she keeps this cricket down.

Thanks for any insight you may have. If there is something I need to look for let me know and I will give you an answer.

Thanks again,

Cay1000

You can send in swab samples to Research Associates Laboratory (check their website) for testing. It's called a PCR test.
    If there is an exotic pet vetrinarian in your area, I would call and get an idea of the price for an exam.

But yeah, honestly, it depends on how important the toad is to you and how much you paid for it. I paid $80 for each of my Colorado River Toads, so that's why I want to make sure they are healthy.

Oh by the way, there is something called Cat's Claw extract that is supposed to help with their immune system. I bought the tablets and then dissolved it in water. I have been putting 3 drops on the backs of my Colorado River Toads for the past few days.

cay1000

She still is not eating and has kept the force fed cricket down. She just vomited some clear mucus slime... not sure what that is about. If she dosnt eat by tomorrow I think I will force feed some cricket smoothie. The cats claw: Is it a herb for people or do I find it at the pet store?

it's for people. I bought it at a natural nutrition store.

cay1000

I found a lump along her lower belly about an inch from her end. I believe I am faced with impaction. I forced some mineral oil last night and gave her some warm water to soak. I made a mix of cricket slurry and force fed her a little bit. Is there anything else I can do for impaction? Should I stop the baths with medication?

I'm not an expert, but yeah, that sounds like impaction. I'd stop the meds personally, but it's a risk either way. Without a checkup, there's no way to know for sure.

cay1000

Fantastic news! My little toad has passed the impaction. Just like a switch she is back to her usual self. Very very strange to have her acting like her lively self after being down for so long. Her poop from what I think was the clog is brown and kinda brittle. I dont have any idea what it is... She ate 4 crickets over the last two days. The last two took her a bit to catch yesterday and the first two I didnt see her get. The ones she had trouble with is no doubt because she is out of practice. She hunted and struck with gusto she just misses a lot.

Thank you to everyone who gave advise and who thought of my little toad. I appreciate your help very much. A special thanks to you N321 for sticking with me and answering my questions. I hope your toads shape up for you too. One parting question. I have just one toad. Would she be happier with a friend or are these guys typically loaners?

Thanks again and keep on hopping!

mikeytoads

just crickets alone, even dusted, are not at all an adequate diet.
    you gotta vary their bug intake.
    earthworms, mealworms, etc.
    congrats on her getting better, that's great.
    toads, in my experience, seem to enjoy having a buddy.

Thread Information