Thread: Incandescent Lighting, colored bulbs VS regular light bulbs.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Incandescent Lighting, colored bulbs VS regular light bulbs.

Ive always used colored heat lamps, or black light bulbs to heat my frogs terrariums, as Ive always read that regular light bulbs will make the frogs sick somehow, or dry them out in some way. But I recently read hat the breeders at Phat Phibs suggest using regular incandescent bulbs in the daytime to provide heat and photo period. Anybodyt have any thoughts on this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

arielgasca420

Default Re: Incandescent Lighting, colored bulbs VS regular light bulbs.

I agree with regular incandescent although sometimes it can be a little too bright for their eyes. I use colored bulbs and reptiglo. the reptiglo provides a dim photoperiod.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I dont use products like reptiglo lighting and things, I think they are over priced for incandescent bulbs and I dont really believe in them. For my Frogs Ive been using 25 watt black light party bulbs in the warm season and 60 watt black light bulbs in the winter. Ive read that they can see red light at night, so black is a bit better. I would like to start using 40 watt incandescent plant light bulbs in the day time and was curious if that would cause a problem. From what I understand Phat Phibs produce some pretty good frogs, but Ive also seen them do things that most frog keepers wouldnt dare, such as feed frogs large mice, large mealworms, baby chickens to pyxies etc. so Im a bit questionable about it.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by arielgasca420 View Post
    I agree with regular incandescent although sometimes it can be a little too bright for their eyes. I use colored bulbs and reptiglo. the reptiglo provides a dim photoperiod.
    But for curiosity sake, which Reptiglo bulb do you use?

arielgasca420

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    But for curiosity sake, which Reptiglo bulb do you use?
    I use a reptiglo 2.0
    I am not sure if frogs really need UVB for metabolism but I guess it also wouldnt hurt

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Oh, Im interested in light bulbs that provide heat as well as lighting. To be exact, Phat Phibs says to use 40 watt clear incandescent bulbs.

arielgasca420

I dont use products like reptiglo lighting and things, I think they are over priced for incandescent bulbs and I dont really believe in them. For my Frogs Ive been using 25 watt black light party bulbs in the warm season and 60 watt black light bulbs in the winter. Ive read that they can see red light at night, so black is a bit better. I would like to start using 40 watt incandescent plant light bulbs in the day time and was curious if that would cause a problem. From what I understand Phat Phibs produce some pretty good frogs, but Ive also seen them do things that most frog keepers wouldnt dare, such as feed frogs large mice, large mealworms, baby chickens to pyxies etc. so Im a bit questionable about it.
    plant lights can be just as expensive as reptiglo. plant lights goal is for more lumens. I dont know how lumen intensity coincides with frogs. there is a member on here that has an extensive forum on lighting and lumens

arielgasca420

Oh, Im interested in light bulbs that provide heat as well as lighting. To be exact, Phat Phibs says to use 40 watt clear incandescent bulbs.

I dont see why incandescent would be bad. I just notice that my frogs prefer dim lighting for a photoperiod. make sure you dont get those spiral energy efficient compact fluorescent ones. you have to properly dispose of those because of the mercury inside. in some places you can get a major fine for putting them in your garbage bin

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I do not believe they can see the red light from infrared bulbs like you may think. It doesn't in any way affect their day/night cycle. Moonlight bulbs are also fine since they simulate the moons natural glow.

Nationality
    [United States]

I use a reptiglo 2.0
    I am not sure if frogs really need UVB for metabolism but I guess it also wouldnt hurt
    These are not necessary for frogs and are way too bright if you do not provide some cover for them to hide under. Also they do not require UVB light and it can actually burn an Albino's skin as well as cause blindness if they are overexposed to it. We provide Vitamin D3 through the means of supplements rather than UVB. It is safer and causes no stress as long as you do not overdose them on the supplements.

They do benefit from 4 to 6 hours a day of UVB light, but this excludes the Albinos.

Nationality
    [United States]

I dont see why incandescent would be bad. I just notice that my frogs prefer dim lighting for a photoperiod. make sure you dont get those spiral energy efficient compact fluorescent ones. you have to properly dispose of those because of the mercury inside. in some places you can get a major fine for putting them in your garbage bin
    They prefer dim lighting because their natural habitat is on the forest floor.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    They prefer dim lighting because their natural habitat is on the forest floor.
    So do you think a clear 40 watt incandescent, like Phat Phibs recommends, is too bright?

Nationality
    [United States]

So do you think a clear 40 watt incandescent, like Phat Phibs recommends, is too bright?
    It is possible. Most clear bulbs are for appliances like what's in your refrigerator and the bulb in most stove hoods. They aren't meant for heating terrariums and don't have a very long lifespan. Plus they just give off light and pretty much no UVA rays. Which a lot of reptiles and amphibians can actually see. They may be useful for a day/night cycle but I wouldn't use them on full blast. There is no filter on clear bulbs so I'm not quite sure what affects they may cause. I always use Terrarium bulbs because that is what they are made for. If you want light without heat you could look into the LEDs now being made for terrariums.

arielgasca420

These are not necessary for frogs and are way too bright if you do not provide some cover for them to hide under. Also they do not require UVB light and it can actually burn an Albino's skin as well as cause blindness if they are overexposed to it. We provide Vitamin D3 through the means of supplements rather than UVB. It is safer and causes no stress as long as you do not overdose them on the supplements.

They do benefit from 4 to 6 hours a day of UVB light, but this excludes the Albinos.
    I dont mean to disagree, but I have heard different opinions on lighting. I do agree with you and others as well. all opinions are put into my collective understanding of the subject.
    I was reading today that if you use a black heat bulb, like me, than It is important for higher lighting so that their cornea constricts and protects them from eye damage. I dont know how accurate this info is or where it comes from. here is the link frogs.org.au Community :: View topic - do frogs need UVA, UVB, or both?
    The reptiglo that I use is a 25 watt. It doesnt seem bright, but I guess if it is I could rely on the natural sun light in my room. I have a south facing room.
    Ill see if I can find some articles from herpetologist to find out more info on lighting. I like knowing the science behind this stuff because it helps me narrow down various opinions i hear from all directions.
    I do know the downsides of sunlight and albinism because of the lack of melanin produced. I would never use direct sunlight or any UV lighting on and albino or hairless animal. This is where UTH come in handy

arielgasca420

What about a ceramic heat emitter?

Nationality
    [Canada]

I second this question, it would be great if it is usable, love to use those for my snakes when UTH is not enough.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

It is possible. Most clear bulbs are for appliances like what's in your refrigerator and the bulb in most stove hoods. They aren't meant for heating terrariums and don't have a very long lifespan. Plus they just give off light and pretty much no UVA rays. Which a lot of reptiles and amphibians can actually see. They may be useful for a day/night cycle but I wouldn't use them on full blast. There is no filter on clear bulbs so I'm not quite sure what affects they may cause. I always use Terrarium bulbs because that is what they are made for. If you want light without heat you could look into the LEDs now being made for terrariums.
    I'm looking for light and heat...but with the weather in mn right now, I dont really need heat at all...

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I really cant see a ceramic heat emitter causing any problems.

Nationality
    [United States]

These work well, but can get extremely hot if not hooked up to a thermostat or a lamp that has a dimmer switch. Of course like all heating bulbs they need to be used with a lamp that has a ceramic socket due to how hot they get.

Thread Information