Thread: Is this Red Eyed Tree Frog too skinny?

Merlin66

Default Is this Red Eyed Tree Frog too skinny?

I'd like to know what you guys think about the looks of this Red-Eyed Leaf Frog. Background info: I've had a blue phase whites tree frog for a couple of years so my view on a healthy frog is a little skewed as they're so chubby.
    I received these three RETFs from a cousin as a gift. The first two seem to have no problem eating. They seem to have gained a bit of girth in the 3-4 weeks I've had these guys. The third picture is of the frog in concern. It doesn't seem to have changed at all in the time I've had it. All of these frogs have been very active at night. But, last night around midnight I noticed this third frog was huddled up on the wall sleeping. Earlier it had been hunting and jumping around as usual. I just found it odd that it was already going to sleep with so many hours of darkness left. I know the crickets I dump in the cage are all being eaten. I've only found one dead in all the time I've had them. I just don't know if I have the patience to sit up and watch them in the dark to see who's eating. Opinions?
    Oh, and temperature has been around 80-85 F during the day, 75-80 at night. Humidity has been around 80-90% during the day, and maybe down to 70-75 during the night.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Is this Red Eyed Tree Frog too skinny?

The RETF you are concerned about looks to be in good health to me. Looks about the right girth for a well-fed frog. He could probably be a little fatter, but he doesn't look skinny to me.

Looks like possibly might be a male and appears just fine ...are any calling?

Merlin66

Thanks guys. I haven't heard them call yet. I looked it up online to make sure I know what it sounds like. I have heard them making soft little noises though. They're kind of hard to describe.

Should sound like clicks ....not real loud....early am ...12-3 ....females always much larger and rounder (softer looking males tend to be more prominent V shaped and angular.

Merlin66

Thanks velvety. I was kind of thinking it might be male and the others female but I couldn't find any definitive pictures.

Thread Information